3 Replies, 844 Views
Once Upon A Deadpool |...
Last post by shadow763
Today 07:16 AM
9 Replies, 921 Views

Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

C64 Mini got 100x better! A longtime fans perspective - Load your own games!

There is new firmware for the C64 Mini to reduce latency and allow you to load 1,000s of Commodore games!

TheC64 mini: https://amzn.to/2pWfSHc (Amazon)
TheC64 mini FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/209280506324242/
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

My brother owned the C64 and while I normally think of the SNES as my favorite system ever, this video reminds me of how many great C64 memories I have. I might pick this up for my brother for Christmas so we can sit around and play Pirates! all night like the old days. Great vid MJ. I didn't even know that this mini system existed until this post.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
My brother owned the C64 and while I normally think of the SNES as my favorite system ever, this video reminds me of how many great C64 memories I have. I might pick this up for my brother for Christmas so we can sit around and play Pirates! all night like the old days. Great vid MJ. I didn't even know that this mini system existed until this post.
I'm so glad to hear you say that! I really do feel sad for console gamers who never gave the C64 a chance, cuz it was an AMAZING gaming machine at the time. Really powerful and flexible and literally THOUSANDS of great games for it! Glad you liked the video
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
paragondk1
Dread Lord

Great video, as always!

MJ: The Internet Archive recently put up a huge chunk of the C64 software library. :-)
https://archive.org/details/software...wnloads&page=2

I was rocking a few games this week on the site. :-)
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Nice video! Personally, I'm still holding out for an Amiga Mini, but it'd be a lot harder to emulate due to the wildly different hardware iterations (OCS/ECS/AGA, Kickstart 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)...

Question: Is there a specific reason why you would want a C64 Big Mini with a built-in keyboard over the current version with a USB keyboard? Is there a problem with the C64 layout on modern PC keyboards?

Oh, and how's the Competition Pro imitation? I read the stick was really stiff in the European release, and I highly doubt they've changed it. And are those small corner buttons used for auto fire?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Question: Is there a specific reason why you would want a C64 Big Mini with a built-in keyboard over the current version with a USB keyboard? Is there a problem with the C64 layout on modern PC keyboards?

Oh, and how's the Competition Pro imitation? I read the stick was really stiff in the European release, and I highly doubt they've changed it. And are those small corner buttons used for auto fire?
* Currently with two USB ports, it's impossible to have a keyboard, joystick AND USB stick plugged in with your own games on it. That's really why you would want either a real working keyboard, or a third USB port.

* I have had no problems with the joystick included. It's not the same as a real one, but thankfully the FB group I mentioned is full of people recommending other USB controllers that work too.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Nice video! Personally, I'm still holding out for an Amiga Mini, but it'd be a lot harder to emulate due to the wildly different hardware iterations (OCS/ECS/AGA, Kickstart 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)...

Programming! The layout is different from modern keyboards. For example the "*" has its own key and so does the "@"That and the Mini is missing the ASCII graphic characters too.
I use this cheat sheet when programming in an emulator.
BeardedSonOfNel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #8
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

@MJ will a USB hub work? Maybe a powered one???

Tags
c64, commodore, metal jesus