Last post by Terran
Yesterday 03:53 PM
14 Replies, 594 Views

Old 11-03-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
magicka
Lord

Blizzard Announced New Diablo Game to Mostly Silence and Light Boos

Quote:
Diablo: Immortal, for iOS and Android devices, is being made by NetEase, a Chinese company licensed to operate several Blizzard games in that country. NetEase also made Crusaders of Light, a mobile game that launched in the summer of 2017. Diablo: Immortal bears so much resemblance to Crusaders of Light that many fans are calling the new game a reskin.
News source: https://www.polygon.com/mobile/2018/...t-free-to-play

Official game trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSmAwpVHsA
8.2k thumbs up and 249k thumbs down at the moment. Numerous claims of top posts deleted and video repost to remove thumb downs.

Blizzcon announcement footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZoaec37uaI
magicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #2
Skunk
Evil Dead

The highlight of BlizzCon for me.

Not the announcement, the reactions.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They're going for easy money (mobile; cheap to develop for, easy to monetize). To reuse my analogy, they threw soy burgers to the red meat crowd and were somehow surprised at the reaction.

They'll make money on it, but it's not what BlizzCon should be about (outsourced Chinese phone games). Boy did they blow it, lol.

Love the announcement:

"We want to do it in a way that's true to Blizzard." LOL! By outsourcing it to a Chinese company to reskin their prior game! Hahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The clips are so cringey you'd think it was a Microsoft key note.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

So savage, lol.
Quote:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

What a shitshow....These morons could have made a billion dollars simply by remastering D2, and instead we get a chinese knockoff mobile game....
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
What a shitshow....These morons could have made a billion dollars simply by remastering D2, and instead we get a chinese knockoff mobile game....
They could still be doing that. A D1 or D2 remake in the D3 engine on every platform could be in the works. They supposedly have unannounced projects.

Blizz still mishandled this completely.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
They could still be doing that. A D1 or D2 remake in the D3 engine on every platform could be in the works. They supposedly have unannounced projects.

Blizz still mishandled this completely.
Totally.....I think it's pretty egotistical to have such an underwhelming announcement after people spend the time and money to attend blizzcon. Honestly surprises the heck out of me considering their track record of high quality projects.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
Totally.....I think it's pretty egotistical to have such an underwhelming announcement after people spend the time and money to attend blizzcon. Honestly surprises the heck out of me considering their track record of high quality projects.
Yea how dare they not cater to their fans! Every company should fold to social trends! Unless its SJWs, then FUCK EM!

Also, despite how the game looks, its apparently not a reskin. They do admit they are using the Chinese companies UI/Interface for Mobile Diablo.

Lastly, I feel meh about this whole thing. But, can't help feel a bit of disgust for the entitled idiocy. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you went to blizzcon because you thought there was a new Diablo game coming out, caveat emptor bitches.

And it not like they didn't warn anyone.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Yea how dare they not cater to their fans!...FUCK EM!
Exactly. Well said! Also, reusing a UI/interface is reskinning a fairly integral portion of the game (the means by which one interacts with it)! lol!

On another note, I'm in. I like games on my phone, you bunch of filthy elitists!
Quote:
Old 11-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Blizz has the right to make whatever they want. Fans have the right to love or hate it.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Hmm, couldn't even be assed to bring over any more D2 stuff like the Amazon. Pretty much nothing new here; a (likely small) Diablo 3 expansion except it is on mobile with all the limitations of that platform. Hopefully D4 or a D2 remaster is in the works for next year.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
They're going for easy money (mobile; cheap to develop for, easy to monetize). To reuse my analogy, they threw soy burgers to the red meat crowd and were somehow surprised at the reaction.

They'll make money on it, but it's not what BlizzCon should be about (outsourced Chinese phone games). Boy did they blow it, lol.

Love the announcement:

"We want to do it in a way that's true to Blizzard." LOL! By outsourcing it to a Chinese company to reskin their prior game! Hahahaha!
I have no doubt they could've made it in-house, but then the Bliz fanboys would lose their shit about "why are they wasting their time on this when they could be working on removing more bugs from WoW". Bottom line is that despite the constant reminders that they wouldn't be focusing on WoW this Blizzcon the idiots who paid $200 for news you could read for free on various websites as it was announced were hoping that they would pull a "j/k, LOL here's a bunch of secret WoW shit" moment and release a bunch of never before seen WoW stuff and that never materialized.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

This fuck-up is uncharacteristic of the company and a sign of its decline from a game industry darling to a mediocre studio putting out solid money makers while promoting a Disney-fied version of culture.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #15
magicka
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
This fuck-up is uncharacteristic of the company and a sign of its decline from a game industry darling to a mediocre studio putting out solid money makers while promoting a Disney-fied version of culture.
My thoughts exactly when I saw this news. The Blizzard that I knew and loved is no more. The team and people that worked on Diablo 1 & 2, Warcraft 3, etc are mostly no longer at the company. RIP my adolescence idol.
magicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #16
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

Yup, Blizzard is dead for quite some time now.
They managed to fix D3 quite beautifully after fracking it up quite horribly BUT thta's the only thing to come out of them that is worthy of their legacy.
They are going for the easy money, and have been for some time now, RIP blizzard, Activision ruined you for us old time fans.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It is hard to believe developers are this stupid. They should have known their audience had no use for this. Bethesda just went through this with their Elder Scrolls mobile game, the announcement was mostly silence and EA just went through this with Command and Conquer, where the audience was actively hostile.

Mobile gaming has been dead for a long time now, the “Angry Birds” era where you could knock off some title and get rich quick is over in the USA. If this is targeted at the market outside the USA, then they should have just kept their announcement there and not wasted money and effort to promote it at BlizzCon where 99% of your audience are hardcore PC gamers or Overwatch players on console.

No one there was the audience for this and really no one in the USA is the audience for this.

I think Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto Online has everyone convinced again that microtransactions are the way to go, but what works for someone else isn’t going to translate to a room full of PC gamers loving your shit mobile title.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Personally I don't think the developers are that stupid, they claim to be gamers and PC gamers to boot so they must have been forced by the higher ups.

How many executives does it really take to work out that a game which is essentially a loot slot machine will attract people predisposed to gambling or at least have some of the traits.. just think of how much fkin money we can make!

All this talk of poor developers and entitled gamers... no sympathy from me I'm afraid. To be fair Blizzard are catching some stick that's been building over the last few years, it's not entitlement I think many people are just sick to the back teeth of this shit.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

LOL Yes Blizzard because it's clearly Trump's fault that your Computer based fanbase wants nothing to do with a mobile Diablo game. Liberals are mentally ill.
http://archive.is/7Cvfu

Of course the dumb fuck then made his twitter private, thank god for the internet. No wonder Blizzard has been going to shit if these are the types of employees they have.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
LOL Yes Blizzard because it's clearly Trump's fault that your Computer based fanbase wants nothing to do with a mobile Diablo game. Liberals are mentally ill.
http://archive.is/7Cvfu

Of course the dumb fuck then made his twitter private, thank god for the internet. No wonder Blizzard has been going to shit if these are the types of employees they have.
That was an employee's twitter? Blizzard employees are pretty good about calling out a separation of personal opinion from their employer and keeping their public profile low key.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote