Xbox Game Pass Expands...
Last post by shadow763
Yesterday 10:15 AM
2 Replies, 309 Views

Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Marvel's 'Black Widow' Movie Sets Writer

Jac Schaeffer is penning a script for the Scarlett Johansson film. The Hollywood Reporter has the story.

Quote:
A solo film starring Black Widow, a project Marvel fans have been wanting for years, is taking a step forward.

Screenwriter Jac Schaeffer has been set to pen a script for the project, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The film, which would star Scarlett Johansson as the Marvel hero, is in early development.

Schaeffer wrote the script for the upcoming Dirty Rotten Scoundrels remake Nasty Woman starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson, and Hathaway is also attached to star in a film from Schaeffer's Black List alien invasion script The Shower. Schaeffer also wrote and directed the 2009 romantic sci-fi movie TiMER.

Johansson first played Natasha Romanoff (aka Black Widow) in 2010's Iron Man 2 and has reprised the role in a number of films, including the Avengers movies and most recently in 2016's Captain America: Civil War. She is set to appear in Avengers: Infinity War in May.

Both Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige and Johansson have long said they wanted to make a stand-alone movie centering on the character, a Russian spy-turned-superhero. Marvel will release its first female-toplined movie, Brie Larson's Captain Marvel, in 2019. Ironically, the Black Widow news comes just days after the trailer for Jennifer Larwrence's Russian spy drama Red Sparrow (which has nothing to do with Marvel), had people online joking that it seemed like a Black Widow origin story.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Which Marvel fans have been waiting years for this movie? She's a spy not a superhero. I think they did a great job doing the background for the Red Room training already in Agent Carter so there could be something interesting there but more in the Jane Bond way than the Superhero way.

I don't have issues with the actress except I'd like to see how she does action with less than 5 or 6 dozen cutaways. I just don't think the character rates in MCU.

The next thing I'd like ask is: who the fuck thought it would be OK to redo Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ala estrogen? Things aren't automatically better because women are in them, in fact comedy is usually worse (even a lot of women would agree)!

And I love Anne Hathaway; I proposed to her on Facebook for cryin out loud, but this is a travesty so I have to hold it against "Jac" ("I'll take vanity name for $2,000 Alex)) and say FUCK THIS MOVIE.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Which Marvel fans have been waiting years for this movie? She's a spy not a superhero. I think they did a great job doing the background for the Red Room training already in Agent Carter so there could be something interesting there but more in the Jane Bond way than the Superhero way.

I don't have issues with the actress except I'd like to see how she does action with less than 5 or 6 dozen cutaways. I just don't think the character rates in MCU.

The next thing I'd like ask is: who the fuck thought it would be OK to redo Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ala estrogen? Things aren't automatically better because women are in them, in fact comedy is usually worse (even a lot of women would agree)!

And I love Anne Hathaway; I proposed to her on Facebook for cryin out loud, but this is a travesty so I have to hold it against "Jac" ("I'll take vanity name for $2,000 Alex)) and say FUCK THIS MOVIE.
I don't think hunk anyone has been asking where a black widow movie was. I think people have beee. Asking "why not Black Wisow, huh?!" In that accusatory way. I think those are two very different things. I have faith they will do this well, but it probably won't ha s much to do with the comics.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

If it's Black widow doing spy stuff it might be ok. Completely unnecessary but I am not mad about it or anything.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind once I see a trailer.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I like Scarlet Johannson, I'm willing to give this a chance. I don't think it's needed, her character has been fleshed out in all the movies she has been. The worse thing that can happen is that they screw up with her character and she becomes someone else entirely.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

A spy oriented thriller with some action could be a fun little adventure. Open minded about it!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
And I love Anne Hathaway; I proposed to her on Facebook for cryin out loud
I'm sorry, what did you just tell us?
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Hopefully it'll be on the level of Winter Soldier 'serious' as that was my fav Marvel fine, so far.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:51 AM   #9
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I have faith they will do this well, but it probably won't ha s much to do with the comics.
I don't know about that. It's not like Black Widow didn't have a bunch of solid mini series since the character gained popularity in the late 90s. I'm imagining something like "Salt", but with more gadgets...

Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

The actress is Alist, tons of screen presence, commitment to her role.
The character is DList filler. Can't carry a movie.
Ghost in the shell flopped.
Lucy flopped
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess a marvel movie is the highest opportunity for revenue?
Maybe a 70s Jane Bond spy movie played straight would be a good fit?
Or maybe she could be the next Kingsman?
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

D-list characters have risen in the ranks thanks to movies, however. A truly excellent film would push Black Widow up the rankings. She could become the female version of James Bond, for all we know...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I'm hoping the villain is also a chick with huge boobs. I don't care if I'm shallow, but the new Thor was awesome with a badass female villain.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I'm hoping the villain is also a chick with huge boobs. I don't care if I'm shallow, but the new Thor was awesome with a badass female villain.
Well it helps that Cate Blanchet is absolutely smoldering no matter what she does. I was actually very disappointed in Thor Ragnorak that they did not allow her to chew the scenery more. She could have been much more villainous then they allowed her to be in the film. She had one good fight and one painfully slow dream-like murder rampage in the form of a flashback. I wanted more.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
MadMurdock_0311
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Well it helps that Cate Blanchet is absolutely smoldering no matter what she does.
Truth. Her black hair/makeup/costume in Ragnarok made me feel like a pubescent boy all over again; "What is going on in my pants right now!"
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #15
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
Truth. Her black hair/makeup/costume in Ragnarok made me feel like a pubescent boy all over again; "What is going on in my pants right now!"

MY TOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

Her character was too fucking hot in Ragnarok

Last edited by NACIONAL; 01-12-2018 at 09:53 AM..
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
bub64882
Evil Dead

Winter Soldier was probably my favorite Marvel movie. They can easily do a spy thing and make it great. Hydra, AIM, whatever. It could be a lot of fun.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #17
Xqa
Reaper

Maybe they can explain what happened in Budapest. That would tie in nicely.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
If it's Black widow doing spy stuff it might be ok. Completely unnecessary but I am not mad about it or anything.
A Black Widow movie is no more of less unnecessary than any other MCU movie. People like the character and have been wanting to see a solo Black Widow movie for a few years.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #19
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Well it helps that Cate Blanchet is absolutely smoldering no matter what she does. I was actually very disappointed in Thor Ragnorak that they did not allow her to chew the scenery more. She could have been much more villainous then they allowed her to be in the film. She had one good fight and one painfully slow dream-like murder rampage in the form of a flashback. I wanted more.
Cate Blanchet was the perfect fit IMO. She is what really made that movie for me. I agree there should have been more scenes with her OR had her carry on to the next movie.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Cate Blanchet was the perfect fit IMO. She is what really made that movie for me. I agree there should have been more scenes with her OR had her carry on to the next movie.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if she came back. We not only never saw her die, but we saw even less of a potential death than we got with Loki; at least we got to see him fall into open space.

Hela will be back in some capacity, I think.

Tags
black widow, marvel, scarlett johansson