CD Projekt Red Confirms...
Last post by t3kl3r
Today 12:48 PM
13 Replies, 1,294 Views

Old 05-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Digital Foundry: PC has an HDR support problem - and Nvidia wants to fix it

Are extreme spec 4K displays the answer? The Digital Foundry at Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
At the forefront of gaming technology pretty much since the year dot, the PC format has fallen behind in one key area: support for high dynamic range - the future of display technology. HDR screens for PC users are thin on the ground and often poorly specced, while the list of supported games stands at less than 50 per cent of the number found on consoles. Something has to change, and it starts by getting excellent PC desktop monitors out there. This week, Nvidia showed press its highly impressive 120Hz 4K HDR G-Sync technology. The specs of two upcoming HDR screens from Acer and Asus exceed what living room displays are capable of by quite a margin in some respects, and may help in beginning to address the lacklustre HDR take-up we've seen for PC users so far.

PC's lack of traction in HDR is something of a vicious circle. Consider Sea of Thieves by Rare - it features one of the most striking HDR implementations we've ever seen, enhancing the game's distinctive visuals considerably. However, it's only an option for Xbox users - there's no HDR support whatsoever on the PC side. On checking in with the developer about this, we were told that the lack of compatible displays meant that implementing it wasn't a priority. It's an excuse that frustrates us because, of course, PC is just as compatible with living room HDR displays as the consoles, but the divide between the living room and the den/office - each with their own type of display - is still, clearly, a thing... for now, at least.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

"Something has to change"

Look, I get it, companies have to make money and that's about it. Once sales start to lag the marketing people jump into high gear and create some new load of 'crap' to sell. 3D, curved screens, hdr, all from the same slim avenue of selling something new to people replacing what they have. It just goes on and on.

Do I give a nats wing about HDR? No. Do you? Possibly. (Even though I have it on my television.)

Heck ANY new feature always hits with a stupidly high price that greed is just getting a bit too much. The divide is created due to greed. Why push something new, that's at a high price point, while the rubbish screens are still selling. Just look at any oem... 20+ different screens. Madness. Utter stupidity.

Should anyone replace their monitor for one that supports HDR? No. Absolutely not. That's just being silly. For a higher refresh rate? Yeah, I get that, but not HDR.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

You know, as someone who grew up with an Atari 2600 and C-64... I guess I don't give much thought to HDR. Is the game "fun"? That's all that matters to me anymore.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
You know, as someone who grew up with an Atari 2600 and C-64... I guess I don't give much thought to HDR. Is the game "fun"? That's all that matters to me anymore.
Yeah, im on the side of “who cares?”i entirely stop seeing the visuals in a game after, at most, 1/2 hour. I break down the image into the relevant parts that matter, and soon the fluff just dissapears.bwhat matters to me are the rules of the game. When si,rthing like VR comes out and materially affects how games play... THEN tech matters. But HDR visuals? You couldnt pay me to care.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Man, totally disagree. Hopping to HDR is the just about the equivalent to going from SD to 1080p. When you play a game like SoT you WILL notice it and you will miss it when you jump on the same game without it.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Kawika
Dread Lord

I think HDR can be good but what I find the best feature of the newer 4k models isn't that they can do HDR but they have a wider color pallet that works well in SDR too. The support is totally uneven and if I were to be honest, playing games on my 1440p g sync monitor vs my 4K tv is a huge downgrade. I lose so much more going from 1440p to 4K than I benefit from the higher resolution, HDR and wider color space.

I have a few 4K Blurays and I have a lot of trouble seeing a real difference between them and my 1080p set running a standard bluray. It could be my player. If I get close, the difference is noticeable, it starts to be less so the farther you sit back from the display. I don't think the premium for 4K content is worth the extra money at this point (i felt the same about 3D too).

I will say, games do look better in 4K. I wouldn't say upgrade to a pro and a 4K just to see the benefit unless you are already in the market for a new set. The longer you wait, the better it will be for you, so hold off if you can.

The biggest jump in tech for me has been high refresh rate low latency monitors.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Yeah, im on the side of “who cares?”i entirely stop seeing the visuals in a game after, at most, 1/2 hour. .
I feel the same but good art is a different story. Great graphics always wow me at first and then you get used to them. Great art/art style can keep me interested for quite a while.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I feel the same but good art is a different story. Great graphics always wow me at first and then you get used to them. Great art/art style can keep me interested for quite a while.
I agree with that 100%. But i dont think art and style is a function of hardware capability. I geel like the most artistic and stylistic games are the ones that have the least power behind them, these days.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdr, pc master race