Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
08-18-2018 07:58 PM
23 Replies, 2,108 Views

Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Sony Begins To Hammer Nails Into The PS4s Coffin

Quote:
Today during Sony's Corporate Strategy Meeting, PlayStation boss John Kodera said the PlayStation 4 is entering the end of its lifecycle. While this could have a negative impact on Sony's gaming division overall, it probably won't because revenue from subscription services such as PlayStation Plus may help offset any decline in hardware sales, Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki quoted Kodera as saying. Importantly, Sony is not discontinuing the PS4 now or anytime soon, of course. The system is expected to continue to sell well, as new, exclusive games for it like The Last of Us: Part II, Spider-Man, and others come out.

As some further important context, Kodera was talking to investors and analysts about the health and viability of the PS4 as a platform. Earlier this year, Sony said it expected to sell 16 million PS4s during the year, compared to 19 million during the year prior, so Kodera was more than likely attempting to contextualize and explain the downturn in sales and what that all means. And the wording about the PS4 entering the end of its lifecycle may mean the system still has many years left of viability, only that the console is not rising as fast as it once did as it relates to sales. And of course, that is expected, given the system was released almost a half-decade ago.
Via Gamespot
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

This isn't really unexpected; it launched in 2013, after all.

I'd wager it probably has another couple of years left, during which the PS5 (or whatever the follow-up ends up being) will be announced.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Kind of waiting for it to be succeeded... So I can play all those awesome looking exclusives on the cheap!

Did that with the PS3. I like Sony, but between a PC and a Switch... Kind of hard to find the time!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Give me ps5 with all backwards compatibility to ps1 please.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Unfortunately, this probably won't happen...with Sony.

This is why I'm actually much more optimistic with Microsoft's approach going forward. Things look a little grimmer for them right now, but they're playing the long game with their consoles and the One X is just the first step.

With the way things are looking, we won't really have to worry about compatibility with them. Sony, however, hasn't set themselves up for that sort of functionality.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Unfortunately, this probably won't happen...with Sony.

This is why I'm actually much more optimistic with Microsoft's approach going forward. Things look a little grimmer for them right now, but they're playing the long game with their consoles and the One X is just the first step.

With the way things are looking, we won't really have to worry about compatibility with them. Sony, however, hasn't set themselves up for that sort of functionality.
MS is only pushing their old library because they have nothing else. How many people even really use that backwards compatibility? The whole reason that Sony scrapped it in the first place was that people just don't use it.

I like my PS3, but I rarely ever play any of the games at this point. I go back to Red Dead Redemption once in a while and I want to finish Dead Space 2/3, but that's about it.

It is a feature that sounds good on paper, but people rarely use in real life and they probably wouldn't even be using it at all on the Xbox if there was any decent games coming out.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I like my PS3, but I rarely ever play any of the games at this point. I go back to Red Dead Redemption once in a while and I want to finish Dead Space 2/3, but that's about it.

It is a feature that sounds good on paper, but people rarely use in real life and they probably wouldn't even be using it at all on the Xbox if there was any decent games coming out.
Well, it's a measure that sells hardware, not software. As such, it's a fantastic selling point during at least the first half of a console's life cycle - and for collectors, of course.*

If I didn't have to switch consoles, I might have finished "Yakuza 3", 4 and 5 by now. ... Ah, who am I kidding? I hardly find the time to slog through "Yakuza 6". I probably wouldn't fire up any PS2 or even PS1 games, either, even though I still have some of them sitting on my "to finish" shelf (forgive me, Silmeria!).

On topic, though: I doubt we'll be seeing the PS5 before late 2020. At the moment, Sony is sitting comfortably in the lead (yes, this includes the Switch), and Microsoft missed the opportunity to disrupt Sony's run with an affordable X.B.O.X.

*) We still have one working fat PS3 testkit that plays all games for PS1, PS2 and PS3, US, Europe, Japan and Beta builds. I think that's kind of cool.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
MS is only pushing their old library because they have nothing else. How many people even really use that backwards compatibility? The whole reason that Sony scrapped it in the first place was that people just don't use it.
The entire point behind their "no more generations" initiative is to make it easier for people to continue playing games while upgrading their hardware. It's not like I'm making this up; the intent is to ensure games are playable across multiple hardware iterations, which is a much better long-term plan.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:

I use the backwards compatibility quite often. I'd say 80% of my game time on the XBone is playing my huge backlog of 360 games.

Hell I'm still playing DOS games thanks to DosBox! Too many games, and not enough time.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
MavenACTG
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I use the backwards compatibility quite often.
Well, that does it. If one person is using backwards compatibility, then people must be using it!
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The entire point behind their "no more generations" initiative is to make it easier for people to continue playing games while upgrading their hardware. It's not like I'm making this up; the intent is to ensure games are playable across multiple hardware iterations, which is a much better long-term plan.
I think that is what they want to tell you their plan is, but the reality is that they started pushing the old 360 games almost totally because they have nothing else to push.

State of Decay 2 is buggy and average, Sea of Thieves is an actual terrible game and they launched their new hardware without even a single game. That's some terrible planning, it stinks of a division that is totally focused on the hardware and has no clue what to offer consumers beyond that.

So, they started pushing the old 360 games and bragging about how great Red Dead Redemption looks on the Xbone. That's great and all and I'm sure it looks a little better, but wouldn't having some actual product to offer consumers be a better thing?

That is like that new disability themed controller. While you can't help but admire the IDEA behind the controller, what do you think the actual demand is for that product? How much money and time was spent developing it, when that money could have gone toward the development of a new game? I would guarantee you that if you total up the development costs and the cost of manufacturing and assembling the hardware that they could have easily have funded a whole AAA game for what they spent on a controller that only a few thousand people will ever buy worldwide.

They just seem to be a company that is floundering. They have no idea what to do or how to get back to where they were.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

What Sony needs to do now is retire the PS4 vanilla and release a PS4 Pro SLIM as the only available PS4 with a redesign where it DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A HAIR DRYER ON HIGH playing a Pro-enabled game. Then maybe I wouldn't rather play my dead silent Xbox One X for everything but Sony exclusives.

You can criticize Microsoft's lack of exclusives all you want, but they totally came back and kicked Sony's ass on the hardware.

Now let me save Evil the trouble of replying: Too bad it has no gamez…. hurdy hur hur
Old 05-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
That is like that new disability themed controller. While you can't help but admire the IDEA behind the controller, what do you think the actual demand is for that product? How much money and time was spent developing it, when that money could have gone toward the development of a new game?
Money and market is no object when you are creating a product for the disabled in the name of progressive liberalism.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
[...] and they launched their new hardware without even a single game.
Would you please stop saying that? I give you most of the other points, but THIS is exactly what Sony did, too, and the PS4 Pro is doing great. The Xbox One X is not an Xbox Two. It's an upgrade for the original Xbox One, just like the Xbox One S before it.

Also, you're acting like all everyone is ever playing are exclusive titles. This might be 90% true on the Switch, but on platforms where "Minecraft", "Grand Theft Auto 5", "FIFA 18", "Overwatch" and "Fortnite" rule the all-time sales charts, it could hardly be farther from the truth.

Don't get me wrong: Microsoft did mess up, and the Xbox One is - deservedly - having a hard time, even in the US. But on a game forum with the kind of history that EvAv has, I expect to see a bit more rational thought on display... before the attitude sets in.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Go Scherge, he's our man, if he can't make rational points, no one can!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #16
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Go Scherge, he's our man, if he can't make rational points, no one can!
What can I say? I'm German, not Austrian.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
That's the plan. It's called Playstation Now and you pay for it monthly. That's pretty much going to be Sony's answer to backward compatibility from now until infinity. Nintendo seems to be coming around to the same idea as well.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
They're not exactly charting new territory. They are trying to do for Xbox what Apple did with it's iOS infrastructure. You, theoretically, can play any game from the beginning of the iPad/iPhone's life on the device no matter when you jumped on board. That's better for developers and it's better for Apple.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I think that is what they want to tell you their plan is, but the reality is that they started pushing the old 360 games almost totally because they have nothing else to push.
You're missing the point entirely; the intent is behind this is ultimately looking forward, not just backward.

Quote:
State of Decay 2 is buggy and average, Sea of Thieves is an actual terrible game and they launched their new hardware without even a single game. That's some terrible planning, it stinks of a division that is totally focused on the hardware and has no clue what to offer consumers beyond that.
Sony launched the PS4 Pro - the comparable device to the One X - without a single game, as well.

Quote:
So, they started pushing the old 360 games and bragging about how great Red Dead Redemption looks on the Xbone. That's great and all and I'm sure it looks a little better, but wouldn't having some actual product to offer consumers be a better thing?
If given the option of either buying a multiplatform title for the PS4 Pro or for the One X...I'd opt for the One X in almost every case, because it's unequivocally the more powerful of the two devices. Exclusives are important, but the vast majority of titles released year in and year out are multiplatform.

Quote:
That is like that new disability themed controller. While you can't help but admire the IDEA behind the controller, what do you think the actual demand is for that product? How much money and time was spent developing it, when that money could have gone toward the development of a new game? I would guarantee you that if you total up the development costs and the cost of manufacturing and assembling the hardware that they could have easily have funded a whole AAA game for what they spent on a controller that only a few thousand people will ever buy worldwide.
Their hardware and software divisions are separate; the money spent on one wouldn't really affect the money spent on the other, especially with a company as flush with cash as Microsoft.

I, for one, think the disabled-friendly controller is a brilliant idea and I couldn't be happier about that product hitting store shelves. There are plenty of disabled gamers out there, so it's great to see a controller like this coming to market. There's value behind a controller like that, plain and simple.

That you seem to think otherwise makes you kind of a dick. God forbid you ever suffer an injury to your hands or arms in your lifetime.

Quote:
They just seem to be a company that is floundering. They have no idea what to do or how to get back to where they were.
They've certainly been struggling, but their ship seems to be slowly righting. It ain't all about exclusives, anyway.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

You know, Evil was saying almost nobody uses B.C., and I simply stated I do.

Tags
ps4, sony