4 Replies, 648 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Mass Effect, Dragon Age Veteran Mike Laidlaw Leaves BioWare After 14 Years

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Mike Laidlaw, a BioWare veteran who worked on Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and most recently served as the creative director for the Dragon Age franchise, has left the company. Laidlaw had been with BioWare for the past 14 years.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Laidlaw said, "It's with a mix of emotions that I'm announcing my time with BioWare has ended. After 14 years and a chance to work on Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and all things Dragon Age, it's time for me to move on."

Regarding Dragon Age specifically, Laidlaw said he has "every confidence that the world we've created together is in good hands and I'm excited for the road ahead."

Laidlaw did not give any specifics about what's next for him, apart from saying he "plan[s] to spend [his] time reconnecting with all the amazing games and worlds that my peers have created." Laidlaw added that he plans to stream himself playing games on Twitch and connect with fans on Twitter.

"To everyone who's taken the time to share feedback and experiences, your amazing cosplays and artistic creations: thank you. You've made my time 'in Thedas' amazing. Your passion inspires and I look forward to our next adventure together."

It is not immediately clear if Laidlaw's departure from BioWare was by his own choosing.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Best of luck to you Mike.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Good riddance. Maybe bioware can go back to making games with rpg mechanics again.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Good riddance. Maybe bioware can go back to making games with rpg mechanics again.
He was the Lead Designer on Dragon Age: Origins. The lion's share of his work at the company was when they were still "making games with RPG mechanics". He was a key team member for both Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Arguably, he was probably a bastion of their older design philosophy.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
He was the Lead Designer on Dragon Age: Origins. The lion's share of his work at the company was when they were still "making games with RPG mechanics". He was a key team member for both Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Arguably, he was probably a bastion of their older design philosophy.
The lion's share of work done on Origins was done by guys who haven't been with Bioware for years. Those guys all left, Laidlaw was the one pushing for more "Action Combat" he was the leading reason Dragon Age 2 was such a piece of shit. Try to know what you're talking about before acting "in the know".
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
The first DA was very very good. It even used some old assets from NWN. I frigging loved Origins. No idea why they had to screw it up!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Sorry to see him go one way or the other.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
The lion's share of work done on Origins was done by guys who haven't been with Bioware for years. Those guys all left, Laidlaw was the one pushing for more "Action Combat" he was the leading reason Dragon Age 2 was such a piece of shit. Try to know what you're talking about before acting "in the know".
Ah, yes. He must be the sole culprit, because Mass Effect 2 - released a year earlier, also had been in development longer - certainly didn't abandon many of the traditional RPG mechanics in favor of a more action-oriented experience.

Oh. Wait. It did do that, didn't it?

Surely, this wasn't an intentional move made across the company. Yep, it was definitely the fault of one person.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Ah, yes. He must be the sole culprit, because Mass Effect 2 - released a year earlier, also had been in development longer - certainly didn't abandon many of the traditional RPG mechanics in favor of a more action-oriented experience.

Oh. Wait. It did do that, didn't it?

Surely, this wasn't an intentional move made across the company. Yep, it was definitely the fault of one person.
Brent Knowles was the lead on Origins first of all. He's long gone. Laidlaw was not a head on the ME2 team either. His claims to fame are the action oriented Jade Empire, (some of the weakest combat in a bioware game period) Dragon Age 2, and Inquisition which had more fetch quests and overall boring quest padding than any other Bioware title ever. Did I say he was solely responsible? No I never said that, was he a big reason for how their games have progressed? You betcha, the EA acquisition didn't help either.

Tags
bioware, dragon age, mass effect