Last post by hotdrop
Today 10:59 AM
9 Replies, 708 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
modeps
Get busy living.

Submitting News to Evil Avatar

While much of the news here is posted by Evil Avatar moderators, users can also feel free to post news that will appear on the homepage. After all, we are a community based site and you are as much a part of this as the folks who help run it. All user submitted content will be placed into a moderation queue for review. At that point, we will either approve it, delete it, or move it to a more appropriate forum.

Don't get discouraged if something you post doesn't make it to the front page! I mean, we totally DO like those Zelda-styled coolats you wore to your sister's dance recital, but it probably doesn't belong as a news post. If you look like a spammer, we're not going to post your stuff.

To help get your news posted, please follow these guidelines.
  1. Come up with a nice catchy headline, capitalized properly. In case you forget your grammar school lessons, everything should be capitalized except for articles (a, an, the), prepositions, and conjunctions (and, but, or, nor, for), unless they are the first or last words of the title.

2. Instead of just pasting in a URL, give it some meaningful text. Easiest way to do that is to type your text, highlight it and click the "link" icon in the editor.

3. Always be sure to quote your sources, linking back to the originating story if there is one. This is ultra important. While some sites do not like to list their sources, we believe that the credit should be given to the proper originator. If there's a series of sources, post 'em all.

4. No user signatures are allowed in news posts, make sure you uncheck the "show your signature" box. If you forget, then be aware we'll fix it and be cursing your name under our breath.

5. If you want to add an image to your post, it should be no more than 500 pixels in either width or height. If you don't have access to an image editing tool, online services like ShrinkPictures or Resizr will help you with that. Make sure you find your own host (no hot linking images, this is important). There are free hosts available like imgur and imageshack.

6. Hit that "Preview Post" button before submitting and proofread for grammatical, punctuation, and formatting errors. Only after making sure everything is kosher, submit that post and wait.

If you're looking for the proper place to post some news, head on over to the News Forum and hit that "New Thread" button. You'll need to be a registered user first though, so get registered and get posting!

If you need any help with formatting your news post, hit up IRC and someone will normally be around to answer any questions.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
modeps
Get busy living.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged.

Quote:
It is a long established fact that a reader will be distracted by the readable content of a page when looking at its layout. The point of using Lorem Ipsum is that it has a more-or-less normal distribution of letters, as opposed to using 'Content here, content here', making it look like readable English. Many desktop publishing packages and web page editors now use Lorem Ipsum as their default model text, and a search for 'lorem ipsum' will uncover many web sites still in their infancy. Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).
They say that Latin is a dead language, I say they're right.
modeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

I did bad master? I am one sorry Khajiit.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Tintivilo

I went to Target during my lunch break and they didn't have YDKJ(360), NEWS AT 11!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Fortyseven
Evil Dead

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintivilo View Post
I went to Target during my lunch break and they didn't have YDKJ(360), NEWS AT 11!
Fuckin Wal-shit-Mart didn't have it either. I hope their legs grow together.
Fortyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyseven View Post
Fuckin Wal-shit-Mart didn't have it either. I hope their legs grow together.
???
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Fortyseven
Evil Dead

It's the ever-seductive Wal-maid!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Awesome! Thread derailed by the 5th response! Who needs an attention span?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Fortyseven
Evil Dead

Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Edit: Wow this is back from before image shack went to shit. No wonder the image is gone. Never use image shack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!

Last edited by lockwoodx; 05-08-2014 at 08:45 AM..
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

You guys should update the pict requirement here. For the longest time it was 400, and this guideline still gives 400-width as the max picture size.

But I see now that you guys are using 500 width! I would've made my Notch-article image 100 pix larger. I cut it down from a much larger pict!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
Meusli
Subscriber

Today you want 500 tomorrow it will be 600, WHERE DOES IT END!???!!
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
Today you want 500 tomorrow it will be 600, WHERE DOES IT END!???!!
Hopefully somewhere around 1024 :P
Old 01-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #15
monkey13
Soul Reaper

I have been stupid. Submitted a news story with a hot linked image. Realised as soon as a clicked submit. Put in the hot link to test how it looked then forgot to replace it with a imgur one.

Does anyone know who is best to PM with the correct image link or should I just leave it and will it get sorted? (In the mean time I am off to inflict suitable punishment on myself)
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Contact Emabulator via PM is probably the best thing.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
I have been stupid. Submitted a news story with a hot linked image. Realised as soon as a clicked submit. Put in the hot link to test how it looked then forgot to replace it with a imgur one.

Does anyone know who is best to PM with the correct image link or should I just leave it and will it get sorted? (In the mean time I am off to inflict suitable punishment on myself)
I can't offer advice, sorry. Every time I post news, it fails, I feel dejected, then I realize I broke 3-4 rules Can't remember how many times I left my signature on. I'll leave the news to all of you, and stick the the reading.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I can't offer advice, sorry. Every time I post news, it fails, I feel dejected, then I realize I broke 3-4 rules Can't remember how many times I left my signature on. I'll leave the news to all of you, and stick the the reading.
While we certainly appreciate well formatted news articles, we will fix them up and post them if there's some juicy news in it.

Leaving the signature on is an easy mistake to make. Notice I don't have one.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Wildstar Online Open Beta starts Today

Wildstar Online is out of closed beta and about a month from launch, so standard internet gaming procedure dictates it's time for a stress test. Open beta starts today, so give it a shot, or something! Open Beta runs from May 8th to the 18th.

Speaking from a personal experience, I think this game has what it takes to be successful where Guild Wars 2 wasn't. The player interaction with each other and the environment is fabulous, the aesthetic is solidly in line with WoW's goofy-yet-fun style, and their interpretation of the classic "holy trinity" group mechanic is as solid as it comes.

Please note: bunny women not required for full enjoyment
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Whaaaat the fuck, I opened a new post for that. -_-

Sorry guys.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evil avatar