Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Disney Acquires Fox for...
Last post by Terran
Today 05:48 AM
47 Replies, 2,178 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by BalekFekete
Today 05:02 AM
2 Replies, 223 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by 92miata
Today 01:21 AM
14 Replies, 274 Views
Report: No, 2018's...
Last post by wunshot
Yesterday 07:59 PM
4 Replies, 553 Views
My MOST DISAPPOINTING...
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 07:42 PM
32 Replies, 1,978 Views
The Last Jedi Discussion...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 04:45 PM
17 Replies, 561 Views
Fornite's "Survive the...
Last post by MavenACTG
Yesterday 04:37 PM
5 Replies, 692 Views
PUBG Performs Badly on...
Last post by wunshot
Yesterday 12:13 PM
23 Replies, 1,927 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #21
LostToys
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,332
Also, the infograph talks about the conferences. Does this include all of the Treehouse Live? Because, literally, that was like 8 hours of just Zelda. The totally skews the numbers when you are comparing, say, Sony who had a single hour and showed multiple games versus Nintendo, who also showed off multiple games, but had a live stream that lasted most of the day that primarily concentrated on Zelda.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Also, the infograph talks about the conferences. Does this include all of the Treehouse Live? Because, literally, that was like 8 hours of just Zelda. The totally skews the numbers when you are comparing, say, Sony who had a single hour and showed multiple games versus Nintendo, who also showed off multiple games, but had a live stream that lasted most of the day that primarily concentrated on Zelda.
Definitely. No arguments here. You're right.

Well, IGN, Eurogamer, PCGamer and a lot of others think it's Game of Show by a wide margin so that probably has something to do with it as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...e3-2016-awards
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #23
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 31,635
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Definitely. No arguments here. You're right.

Well, IGN, Eurogamer, PCGamer and a lot of others think it's Game of Show by a wide margin so that probably has something to do with it as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...e3-2016-awards
That chart is nonsense, because when you start to combine Sony or Microsoft mentions over the course of a couple of days, they end up with like 10x the social media traffic of Nintendo's one game.

Of course Nintendo fans are talking about Zelda -- it was one of only TWO games they showed during their first Treehouse.

Kinda hard for people to talk about anything else when you only show one thing.

In addition, if you look at that chart, it's not a breakdown of mentions. It's a breakdown of a SAMPLE of 1,000 mentions or somesuch other nonsense. In this day and age when you can literally track the exact number of mentions something is getting on twitter, why would you just do a sample??? It's a way to skew the chart all one direction.

I worked in Market Research for 8 years, I know all the tricks.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #24
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That chart is nonsense, because when you start to combine Sony or Microsoft mentions over the course of a couple of days, they end up with like 10x the social media traffic of Nintendo's one game.

Of course Nintendo fans are talking about Zelda -- it was one of only TWO games they showed during their first Treehouse.

Kinda hard for people to talk about anything else when you only show one thing.

In addition, if you look at that chart, it's not a breakdown of mentions. It's a breakdown of a SAMPLE of 1,000 mentions or somesuch other nonsense. In this day and age when you can literally track the exact number of mentions something is getting on twitter, why would you just do a sample??? It's a way to skew the chart all one direction.

I worked in Market Research for 8 years, I know all the tricks.
The infographic is a bit B.S. It's not really accurate I'm sure. But Nintendo's Zelda title was the game of the show in most of the media's eyes.

It's true Nintendo just had one showing at E3 for the Wii U, but the reasons are obvious. They're moving on to the NX. It was intentional. It's not really a big mystery that deserves panning. "Oh boy Nintendo has one Wii U game at E3. Why would they do that?" It's been clear for several months they're moving on to NX. Nintendo will be undoubtedly getting into a bunch of NX stuff at the Tokyo Game Show in September.

Besides, all that shit for the most part Sony and Bone showed are "samey", imo.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 31,635
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
The infographic is a bit B.S. It's not really accurate I'm sure. But Nintendo's Zelda title was the game of the show in most of the media's eyes.
I find it kinda hilarious that the new Zelda got so many mentions, even if we exclude the idea that that chart was obviously generated on Tuesday after Nintendo's show, because the Wii U has the least number of sales this generation.

If all these people posting about Nintendo really gave a rats ass about Nintendo why didn't they buy the system?
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #26
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I find it kinda hilarious that the new Zelda got so many mentions, even if we exclude the idea that that chart was obviously generated on Tuesday after Nintendo's show, because the Wii U has the least number of sales this generation.

If all these people posting about Nintendo really gave a rats ass about Nintendo why didn't they buy the system?
liking nintendo has nothing to do with buying the Wii U. I don't own a wii u and I prefer to keep it that way, this in no way affects how I feel about the games or the company as a whole.

as for your comment about sample groups, for someone who's been in marketing you should know that's how it's always been done and that how it is still done. Right or wrong isn't the point, when you see a stat like this about anything (game sales, regional reception, presidential candidate popularity, etc) it's ALWAYS done with a sample group.

The your only valid point was adding up the mentions by company. I was expecting that, not sure why it took so long.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #27
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I find it kinda hilarious that the new Zelda got so many mentions, even if we exclude the idea that that chart was obviously generated on Tuesday after Nintendo's show, because the Wii U has the least number of sales this generation.

If all these people posting about Nintendo really gave a rats ass about Nintendo why didn't they buy the system?
Because the game they're all talking about isn't out yet.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
If all these people posting about Nintendo really gave a rats ass about Nintendo why didn't they buy the system?
I love rhetorical questions! We all know the answer.

Because the system sucked!
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #29
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I love rhetorical questions! We all know the answer.

Because the system sucked!
Do you ever get tired of being such a grouch?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #30
Anenome
Autarchist
 
Anenome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Recursion City
Posts: 49,888
Blog Entries: 62
Psh, calling it right here, Nintendo will win this console round with the NX :P
__________________
Choose your government: the majority ruling the minority, the minority ruling the majority, or everyone ruling themselves long as they do not initiate force, fraud, or theft against one another.
Anenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #31
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Psh, calling it right here, Nintendo will win this console round with the NX :P
Got a hunch they will too. They're swinging for the fences with technology, and that Zelda as a launch title? I think they're going to pull a rabbit out of their hat. If you have no stupid consumer bias, I think they're going to take over for at least a generation.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #32
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
They're swinging for the fences with technology,
Are you sure about that?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #33
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,018
Lol

I read the first few titles on that list of most talked about games and then I was like, "what was the least talked about?"

I scanned to the bottom of the list and read "Farpoint". My immediate reaction was,

"...What?"

I guess that's telling. I have no idea what that game is.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #34
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 31,635
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Psh, calling it right here, Nintendo will win this console round with the NX :P
Hard to say since we know nothing about it other that that it is another "gimmick" system. If the gimmick works, then it might sell like crazy again.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #35
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 31,635
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
liking nintendo has nothing to do with buying the Wii U. I don't own a wii u and I prefer to keep it that way, this in no way affects how I feel about the games or the company as a whole.

as for your comment about sample groups, for someone who's been in marketing you should know that's how it's always been done and that how it is still done. Right or wrong isn't the point, when you see a stat like this about anything (game sales, regional reception, presidential candidate popularity, etc) it's ALWAYS done with a sample group.

The your only valid point was adding up the mentions by company. I was expecting that, not sure why it took so long.
The thing is about twitter mentions is that you don't need to use a sample group. There are websites where you can track and compare posts in real time. (I saw it a lot when Gamergate was popular.)

There are probably sites that do that for Facebook too.

To take a sample of something that you could compare the actual stats is just silly. It's designed (as we see above) to generate a specific response, not to tell us the actual data.

If I remember what site Gamergate was using, I'll make a new chart myself.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
days gone

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM.