Yesterday 08:08 PM
25 Replies, 1,336 Views

Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Reviews "fulfills the promise of its predecessor"

Game Informer - 9.5/10

Quote:
Shadow of War fulfills the promise of its predecessor, completing a dark and violent lost tale set within the world of The Lord of the Rings. I was initially frustrated by the liberties that Monolith takes with this beloved fiction (which are plentiful), but I eventually abandoned myself to the insanity, and fell down the rabbit hole into a superb fantasy adventure. Monolith captures the thrill of power with aplomb; the way it simultaneously speaks of its dangers and corrupting potential is the real magic.
IGN - 9.0/10

Quote:
Similar to the way Batman: Arkham City built on the foundation of Arkham Asylum, Middle-earth: Shadow of War is bigger and more ambitious in scope than Shadow of Mordor, with great results. The way it expands the Nemesis system with far greater variety and fortress sieges makes even better use of the stand-out generated characters, and its battles with memorable uruk captains remain challenging all the way through the campaign and into the clever asynchronous multiplayer beyond.
GamesRadar - 4.5/5

Quote:
A huge Lord of the Rings experience thatís always enjoyable, although its scale leaves it straining at the seams at times.
USgamer - 4/5

Quote:
Shadow of War does stumble into a bit of a grind in the latter part of the game and the Chests system could be tuned much better. As it stands now, it's transparent in wanting you to open your wallet and buy a bit of Gold. Those issues are what keep Shadow of War from being an absolutely amazing game, instead of just a great one.
GameSpot - 7/10

Quote:
Although loot boxes that are purchased with in-game currency only go up to Epic tier rewards including gear and Orc followers, instead of the paid currency's Legendaries, the difference in quality between the two, in practice, isn't substantially different. And after finishing the game, even with buying a dozen or so 1,200 Mirian loot crates over the course of my adventure, I was still left with over 70,000 Mirian in reserve. Like so many of the other game's systems, the storefront feels less predatory and more like a cluelessly unnecessary addition.

And that addition sums up several of Shadow of War's additions--things like the storefront and the menus and loot system don't make the game terrible, it just would've been better without them. It tries to be larger than its predecessor, there are more abilities, more weapons, more Orcs, yet it leaves you wanting less. But at its core, it's a fun experience with brilliant moments that provide fascinating insight into some of the untold stories of Middle-earth. I just wish it had known when to stop.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Requires micro transactions to reach the true ending. Legendary orcs only available in loot boxes. Whichever sites give this piece of shit a good score are morons.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
Male Chauvinist
Knight

Too bad they added microtransactions as I won't buy this unless it's under $20.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I would have, but pirate bay is the counter balance to micro transactions.

*slow claps to WB*
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 AM   #5
Azrael
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Requires micro transactions to reach the true ending. Legendary orcs only available in loot boxes. Whichever sites give this piece of shit a good score are morons.
Source? or hyperbole? I'm honestly curious

IGN video review states that the Microtransactions only removes part of the grind - getting powerful uruks for your castles/forts which he stated was the fun part of the game. Hence his conclusion was no point to use the microtransactions as you remove fun
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #6
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
I would have, but pirate bay is the counter balance to micro transactions.

*slow claps to WB*
I've been thinking of getting back into this model out of spite. And im not buying that this game is a promise of anything. Shadow Of Mordor was supposed to be all that and it wasn't.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Source? or hyperbole? I'm honestly curious

IGN video review states that the Microtransactions only removes part of the grind - getting powerful uruks for your castles/forts which he stated was the fun part of the game. Hence his conclusion was no point to use the microtransactions as you remove fun
It's most likely just more hyperbole.

You can purchase loot boxes with in-game money, as well. While they're obviously not as plentiful this way, it isn't necessary to spend a dime on the game beyond the initial purchase.

Nobody will talk about this, though. It's not quite as much fun as complaining about loot boxes.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

In the event loot is realistically attainable through in game currency only, and you don't have to be online at all times, I'm fully in support of the game.

otherwise suck on my cave trolls disco stick.

I know I'm probably tagged as "greedy gamer who asks too much"

but lets put it this way, I'm one of many old school gamers who want quality, fair marketing for what I spend money, expectatoiins of gamers aren't exactly a secret.

AAA game publishers seem to spend more money on PR damage control when they do something to screw over gamers than features in their games to add value to the product in the first place.

That aside, the game looks fantastic, so here is hoping all loot is attainable with in game currency and you don't need a internet connection at all times, that's a fair middle ground.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Apparently the grind in late game pushes you to buy stuff with real life money. But, don’t listen to me. Buy this piece of crap and find out for yourself. I won’t research stuff for you.

Upon further reading, I don’t trust the person who said this anymore. Carry on

Last edited by ashikenshin; 10-06-2017 at 09:14 AM..
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Apparently the grind in late game pushes you to buy stuff with real life money. But, don’t listen to me. Buy this piece of crap and find out for yourself. I won’t research stuff for you.

Upon further reading, I don’t trust the person who said this anymore. Carry on
Whoever told you that is probably full of shit, but you seem to have come to that conclusion on your own.

Not only are the loot boxes obtainable with in-game currency (Mirian), but the game also doles out the purchasable currency (Gold) for hitting certain milestones or participating in online challenges; you can even obtain enough to buy more than a handful of the loot boxes that require Gold.

From the reviews I've read, at no point did people feel obligated to spend real money on the boxes. In fact, the exact opposite was often the case; people don't seem to missing out on anything if they don't bother with loot boxes.

Everything in the loot boxes is obtainable simply by playing the game; nothing is locked behind a paywall or exclusive to the boxes. The benefits you get from them simply help speed things up, but it seems like they're otherwise completely unnecessary. They're present, but the game never pushes them in your face and it seems pretty damn easy to just ignore the fact that it even has microtransactions.

I hate that the game even has microtransactions, but it could be far worse than it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
In the event loot is realistically attainable through in game currency only, and you don't have to be online at all times, I'm fully in support of the game.

That aside, the game looks fantastic, so here is hoping all loot is attainable with in game currency and you don't need a internet connection at all times, that's a fair middle ground.
The only thing that requires an online connection is the in-game market, which is where you'd buy the loot boxes and/or Gold. All the loot is obtainable through normal play and you can earn the "premium" currency by playing the game, as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
blackzc
Evil Dead

The loot boxes themselves are fine. The fact you can buy them with real money is not and makes this title a $60 cell phone game.

It really doesn't take much to ruin a game. This loot box model is proof.

Pay money to remove the grind? Why not just mail the goddam money in and by pass doing anything? This so so stupid.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I was looking for to this game more than any other this year until I learned about the microtransactions.

I'll never give this dev another dime for ruining what could've been a perfect game. And if this was something the publisher forced upon the devs, then that needs to be brought to light.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I was looking for to this game more than any other this year until I learned about the microtransactions.

I'll never give this dev another dime for ruining what could've been a perfect game. And if this was something the publisher forced upon the devs, then that needs to be brought to light.
What? You don't like paying for cheat codes? Get a job!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
xplics
Dread Lord

Quote:

Well that is sadly the business model these days. However the game seems really incredible and being huge fan of the first will be picking this up. As for the ending I have a feeling the issue will be fixed by the developers and release it without the need of micro transactions needed.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:

I put this on my "Do not buy list" after news of the microtransactions. However, I ended up getting a really good discount on it, so I couldn't pass it up. I mean, I love Shadows of Mordor, so why not?

I've never bought microtransactions, and I'm not about to start. Also, as far as calling out the devs on this business model, I'll go ahead and say that it is much more likely the publisher (WB) forcing this model on the game. Either way, they won't be making any additional money from me when it comes to Loot Boxes, and if this game sucks, I'll never buy from WB again. They already burned me on the last Arkham game.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
The loot boxes themselves are fine. The fact you can buy them with real money is not and makes this title a $60 cell phone game.

It really doesn't take much to ruin a game. This loot box model is proof.

Pay money to remove the grind? Why not just mail the goddam money in and by pass doing anything? This so so stupid.
Some of the comments you make are fucking baffling.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 AM   #17
Azrael
Evil Dead

I pre-ordered this a WHILE ago now. Loved the original. No discussion of microtransactions would put me off this. I dont preorder often...

Even got a couple days off next week to play this game (I've needed a destress for a while)
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Eurogamer: Here's the deal with Assassin's Creed Origins in-game loot chests
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:14 AM   #19
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Some of the comments you make are fucking baffling.
In effect, you're buying the game and then paying extra so you won't have to play the game in order to win.

Tags
middle earth, monolith, shadow of war, wb games