Last post by PatrickRes9
Yesterday 07:24 PM
16 Replies, 719 Views

Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #41
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I do agree with you. I think really, especially with Super Mario Maker already released, its time for something pretty different.

Though Nintendo themselves very recently released a statement saying it's time for the IP to drastically change, and Mario as we know it is pretty much in the past. I think Nintendo and Nintendo game fans are exactly where you're at. I have a hunch whatever they do next with Mario on the NX will be pretty different.
I think the thing Nintendo needs more so than ever, is a change of culture. I understand their niche and what they do. I just can't justify ever purchasing their systems because to me, its a Mario machine and that value isn't there for just that. I know what to expect from them, but if I want those experiences, I don't need to pick up their newest console to achieve that.

Now, if they reintroduced Mario into something different like the RPG game, I would instantly be interested. I just can't subject myself to another side scroller. And like you said, there is a place for those games, and I agree entirely, but that place shouldn't have a paywall like having to buy the console to do it on.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #42
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
Now, if they reintroduced Mario into something different like the RPG game, I would instantly be interested. I just can't subject myself to another side scroller. And like you said, there is a place for those games, and I agree entirely, but that place shouldn't have a paywall like having to buy the console to do it on.
There are plenty of Mario RPGs out there, so "relaunching" with another RPG would simply cause the same people to crow about how Nintendo isn't trying anything different.

They've actually tackled so many different things with Mario that I'm honestly not sure what they could do to make it feel "fresh" outside of having an actual narrative for once.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #43
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Sure I agree, but that's far too broad to call it a rehash. Is every shooter then a rehash, because the basic mechanics remains the same? You're just shooting, in first person mode. Again. Yawn? It's called a genre. In this case, platformer, whether 3D or 2D. In DK you're jumping and collecting bananas. In Kazooie, youre jumping and collecting notes. At that rate, let's just not play games, because you're just moving a joystick around and pushing buttons. Rehash.

What I feel would maybe more accurately constitute the word rehash is a series with very quick release schedules that rely on a more detailed level, on reusing the same elements, to the point where it feels like the exact same game as the last (the very year before) with a few more details and maybe a different setting. Assassin's Creed feels like rehashing to me. So did Far Cry 4 from Far Cry 3. And many other examples.

At the end of the day, you're just pushing buttons, so is it all the same? It's what's in the game. I've never found Mario (considering it's length as a running IP) to be overly stale or without enough change. Not the way some AAAs do nowadays at least.
I disagree, other IP's have expanded worlds, delved into history, albeit not accurately obviously like Assassin's Creed, games like GTA evolved from top down simple titles, to fully realized 3D worlds, Fallout went from a top down isometric RPG to again a fully realized world with lush visuals to boot. As technology has evolved other publishers have evolved with it. Titles like Max Payne created things like bullet time that other FPS'es now take for granted.Nintendo still thinks it's 1985 and that simple platformers with no narrative are still the greatest thing since Pong. The industry has moved on, Nintendo is very much still stuck in the past. Relying on incarnations of Mario, be it Super Mario Bros, Smash, or Kart over and over again every time they put out their latest underpowered console. It started with the N64, the rest of the industry moved to CD's they stuck with cartridges, and as they stayed true to their kid friendly image, most 3rd party publishers realized they weren't going to make much doing a Nintendo SKU at all, so they just stopped as the more mature crowd had moved on to Xbox, Playstation or PC.

I get it, that's Nintendo's niche, still though that doesn't stop me from wishing they would do more to get me interested in their stuff again.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #44
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

A few hours in and this may be my favorite AC game yet. Graphics are awesome, combat is fluid fast and much more fun. Action sets are straight out of Uncharted in quality. No glutches observed unlike early Unity. The 9/10 scores are deserved and right on the mark. People complaining about graphics are out of their minds and those with glitches are not on patch 1.11.

It is NOT the same game as Unity it feels most like Revelations with best elements of 3. You can whistle again thank the gods.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #45
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
As much as I would love the Japan setting, they will never do it. They would have to go back to a stealth game, and they aren't about to do that.
Why not? Ninja Gaiden plus stealth option! Ninja/Samurai hybrid. Its a game, anthing is possible.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #46
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
A few hours in and this may be my favorite AC game yet. Graphics are awesome, combat is fluid fast and much more fun. Action sets are straight out of Uncharted in quality. No glutches observed unlike early Unity. The 9/10 scores are deserved and right on the mark. People complaining about graphics are out of their minds and those with glitches are not on patch 1.11.

It is NOT the same game as Unity it feels most like Revelations with best elements of 3. You can whistle again thank the gods.
The combat looks far better than Unity, which I'm playing through now that's for sure. Prolly pick this one up when it goes on sale down the line.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #47
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Ended up snagging it on PS4, honestly I think it's the best of the series, granted I didn't like Black Flag at all like most people did.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #48
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why not? Ninja Gaiden plus stealth option! Ninja/Samurai hybrid. Its a game, anthing is possible.
Because its Ubisoft and they have a formula for this series. And in order to do the game we would want, they would have to go against that formula and actually make something new and innovating. And also, make a game about Assassins lol.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assassin's creed, syndicate, ubisoft