4 Replies, 870 Views
Introducing the...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 09:52 AM
23 Replies, 1,559 Views

Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Halo 5, Star Wars: Battlefront, Assassin's Creed Syndicate Underperform at GameStop

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
GameStop today reported that new software sales were down by 9.3 percent, a downturn that was attributed to a tough comparison to last year when Destiny and Super Smash Bros. came to market. But in an earnings call this morning, GameStop executives shared more insight into why new game sales came up short.

High-profile new releases like Halo 5: Guardians and Assassin's Creed Syndicate underperformed during the quarter ended October 31, GameStop CEO Paul Raines told investors and analysts. Star Wars Battlefront launched on November 17, outside of that reporting period, but sales of this game, too, came in below what the company had modeled, GameStop president Tony Bartel added.

Bartel went on to say that some in the industry believe Halo 5's digital sales--for which GameStop does not earn a penny--were significantly higher, on a percentage basis, than past entries in the series. This line of thinking comes from a discrepancy between Microsoft's reported $400 million in Halo 5 sales and an NPD report Bartel cited that said Halo 5 only generated $119 million.

The variance to NPD is reconciled, Bartel said, by the fact that NPD only reports US sales, as well as a broader inclusion of SKUs beyond those tracked by NPD, two additional days of sales in Microsoft's announcement versus NPD's reporting period, and sales that were reported by publishers but not retailers.

Bartel went on to say there is no reason to believe Halo 5's digital sales were higher than what they were modeling, based on conversations with Microsoft. "We are in constant discussions with all publishers and platform-holders and we believe that all major full-game titles launched in this quarter were in line with previously announced digital download levels," he said.

"We are in full understanding and full belief that there is no game that was launched this quarter that was materially above a normal digital percent at launch."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think we are starting to see some burnout in the whole yearly release cycle. Why buy Syndicate if you just played Unity last year? What does Halo 5 do that you didn't get in The Master Chief collection of 4+ games? I think CoD would run into that same problem if there wasn't a huge group of people addicted to the multiplayer.

GTA escapes this by not doing a yearly release. By the time each GTA game comes out people are dying to get back into the franchise.

Makes you wonder if it will end up being a mistake to release that Gears 1 re-make and then to offer free tokens for all the Gears games via BC.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
ldi222
Evil Dead

I still prefer to buy physical copies and Gamestop was my go to place for many years. However a year or two ago they started closing down a lot of the stores that were conveniently located nearby, and I think nation wide have dramatically reduced their footprint. Now I go to Best Buy because its closer and has better incentives/rewards programs. My inclination (purely speculative) is that while digital sales must be cutting into retail numbers, Gamestop is losing numbers due to it's own decline in retail presence and frankly hassle. It's just not a great experience shopping there and when it's no longer convenient, not worth it.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Halo isn't a yearly release either... Halo 5 added a few new powers (slam, charge), new characters, Warzone multiplayer mode, card buffs, new story arc, etc... It did add enough features that I enjoyed my play through (co-op legendary) and am now achievement hunting.

Halo 4 was released in 2012. It is 2015 now. They have released 2 little Windows Phone/Tablet/Xbox Spartan games, but they aren't full Halo games.

I don't like Gamestop's customer service and if I buy something physically it is either from Amazon.com or the Microsoftstore.com -- who ever has the better deal (for Xbox One games).
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
hurstshifter
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldi222 View Post
I still prefer to buy physical copies and Gamestop was my go to place for many years. However a year or two ago they started closing down a lot of the stores that were conveniently located nearby, and I think nation wide have dramatically reduced their footprint. Now I go to Best Buy because its closer and has better incentives/rewards programs. My inclination (purely speculative) is that while digital sales must be cutting into retail numbers, Gamestop is losing numbers due to it's own decline in retail presence and frankly hassle. It's just not a great experience shopping there and when it's no longer convenient, not worth it.
I'm in the same boat, although it had nothing to do with the location convenience. Best Buy simply has the best rewards program and prices on video games around. Plus, the store has way more to offer if I'm looking to pick up other stuff while I'm there.
hurstshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
SouljaOfChrist
Lord

Maybe its because Gamestop Sucks...

Also like the guy above me says, Best Buy has a great program for games and makes it more then worthwhile!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Venkman
Evil Dead

I've seen some news outlets say that Halo 4 sold over a million digitally. That sounds high to me, but I saw it in more than one place.

I just wasn't interested. I kind of want a deep single player game again, and that might be Fallout 4. But holy shit I don't want to lose my life to it.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Ultimately, it would be more telling to see where the other major gaming retailers fall into place alongside digital sales.

Did this titles under-perform for everyone? Did certain retailers see greater results than expected? Have digital sales increase dramatically?

One retailer seeing weaker-than-expected performance doesn't really tell us anything, other than perhaps people are just getting tired of Gamestop.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #9
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

• Halo 5 failed because the install base for XBox is small and people are just not turning on their Xbox to play games. Also, people are wary about MS adding MicroPayToWins to all their first party games.
  • Unity failed because marketing failed to really show why that game is materially different and improved over Black Flag. You can only do the same game so many times in a row. How is there not a Japanese themed version of this game yet?
  • Star Wars failed because it got a 7/10 review average with, "A fun diversion, but not a game you would want to make a career out of" and $90 for the game PLUS $60 for the DLC. People felt like EA was using BF as a profit vehicle and fleecing the masses.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
  • Halo 5 failed because the install base for XBox is small and people are just not turning on their Xbox to play games. Also, people are wary about MS adding MicroPayToWins to all their first party games.
  • Unity failed because marketing failed to really show why that game is materially different and improved over Black Flag. You can only do the same game so many times in a row. How is there not a Japanese themed version of this game yet?
  • Star Wars failed because it got a 7/10 review average with, "A fun diversion, but not a game you would want to make a career out of" and $90 for the game PLUS $60 for the DLC. People felt like EA was using BF as a profit vehicle and fleecing the masses.
+1 Internetz analysis to you, sir! *tip of the digital cap*

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Yeah, there's two sides to this story and we'll soon find out, when these companies reveal their quarterly numbers, whether or not this is more about GameStop sliding or the publishers themselves.
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I've seen some news outlets say that Halo 4 sold over a million digitally. That sounds high to me, but I saw it in more than one place.
To be honest, I would expect a multiplayer game to sell more digital than retail. The reason for this is that it is instant launch and play (no need to find the disc) and there is less of a likeliness that you will want to trade it in for something else (something you will likely do for a SP-centric game). So something like Halo, Call of Duty, etc should see an increased uptake of digital sales going forward, while I wouldn't expect a major change for titles like Uncharted or Far Cry which have online components, but are not as popular or utilized as much.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Syndicate is by far the best of the bunch.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #14
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
Will pick up halo5 from the bargain bin eventually, the other two aren't worth $5 combined to me.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
92miata
Evil Dead

Gamestop is still around?

Halo 5 is 23.99 along with Forza 6 for 17.99 at expertzone.

Ordered both!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
EGO
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think we are starting to see some burnout in the whole yearly release cycle. Why buy Syndicate if you just played Unity last year? What does Halo 5 do that you didn't get in The Master Chief collection of 4+ games? I think CoD would run into that same problem if there wasn't a huge group of people addicted to the multiplayer.

GTA escapes this by not doing a yearly release. By the time each GTA game comes out people are dying to get back into the franchise.

Makes you wonder if it will end up being a mistake to release that Gears 1 re-make and then to offer free tokens for all the Gears games via BC.
This is the scenario you would like to be, but the reality is; the "down-turn" for sales at Gamestop is because retail sales are down, not because those games being called out aren't selling.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO View Post
This is the scenario you would like to be, but the reality is; the "down-turn" for sales at Gamestop is because retail sales are down, not because those games being called out aren't selling.
There is no way to know that any more, Microsoft sales numbers for the Xbone are so low that they are no longer going to be announcing numbers. Ouch.

Tags
assassin's creed, ea games, halo 5, microsoft, star wars: battlefront, syndicate