Today 06:57 AM
1 Replies, 230 Views

Old 10-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Reviews #AssassinsCreedSyndicate

GameSpot - 9/10

Quote:
But a disappointing final fight and some control hitches can't diminish the charms of Assassin's Creed Syndicate. The game is a triumphant return to form for a franchise, and presents a beautifully structured tale with heart and soul to spare. Ziplining through London is thrilling, and the game allows you to organically discover missions and leaves you open-ended solutions lets you to create a meaningful, personal experience within its world. Coupled with strong, loveable leads and a seemingly endless procession of ways to leave your (fictional) mark on London's history, Assassin's Creed Syndicate is a shining example of gameplay and storytelling.
Game Informer - 9/10

Quote:
For all of the familiar parts of Syndicate, it still feels inventive. It may draw inspiration from previous installments, but features like the zipline and revamped progression system demonstrate a willingness to cut stagnant elements loose. With a cool setting, memorable characters, and a wealth of content, Assassinís Creed Syndicate has all of the hallmarks of a great Assassinís Creed entry Ė but it also surprised me by challenging what I previously thought a great entry should be.
IGN - 8.2/10
Quote:
Assassinís Creed Syndicate is the most fun Iíve had with an Assassinís game since Black Flag. In fact, I liked it more. Apart from its ill-fitting conclusion, it never takes itself too seriously and delights in the rich possibilities of its Victorian setting and great new grapple gun. As you explore its contrasting boroughs, you glean some sense of what powered this great city in the 19th century. The story missions capitalise on this by exploring different spheres of influence, which when combined with elements like mass transit, heavy industry, and law enforcement, make this feel like a different type of city than has been featured in the series to date. Best of all, Syndicate asks you to take London back in a way puts the last few games to shame.
GamesRadar - 4/5

Quote:
Combining both traditional and new Creed stories with its dual narrative, Syndicate not only manages to deliver a cohesive and satisfying tale but it does so within one of the finest settings the series has ever seen. No, it isnít perfect, but with such a beautiful world, a genuinely likeable cast of characters, and many improvements to both stealth and combat this feels like a step in the right direction for Assassinís Creed.
Forbes - 7.5/10

Quote:
For a game whose concept allows it to literally go anywhere on earth or in time, Ubisoft seems determined to keep the series stuck in one place as of late. It may be their comfort zone, but itís becoming decidedly uncomfortable for fans who want the series to evolve. I would say that the pressure to be a yearly franchise is stifling creativity, but looking at Ubisoftís other games like Far Cry and Watch Dogs, their addiction to the same open world formula is more pervasive than that. Something needs to fundamentally change within their culture, or they will become irrelevant as others press forward with new and interesting ideas instead.
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5

Quote:
Assassinís Creed Syndicate is emblematic of everything that this franchise has become. After being one of the most revolutionary new IPs of last generation, Assassinís Creed has gone from producing consistent hits to being a series that has started to spit out average experiences. There are far too many exciting games coming out this fall to make this a priority unless you are a massive fan of Assassinís Creed, as even those who have never played a game in this series before would be better suited picking up Black Flag on the cheap. With every release, the same issues that Ubisoft has been rolling over year over year seem to have compounded themselves to a point where the entire package winds up suffering. Sure, this isnít the broken mess that Assassinís Creed Unity was, but in some ways itís more of a blemish than its predecessor. After all, this is a functional game that simply isnít all that fun to play, which is far more damning than any technical glitch could ever be.
VideoGamer - 5/10

Quote:
The greatest description of Ubisoft open world games, as noted here, is that they're about the accumulation of power. It's true: you feel a pleasing sense of progression as you take territory, peeling the enemy wallpaper from the map and seeing what's underneath. That still rings true here. Syndicate is a compulsive game, and in places a fine one. When it is good, when the AI is behaving and it's running well, it's very good. But Syndicate is so adept at self-sabotage that it's nearly impossible to enjoy this world, this game. It constantly rips you out of the experience, whether that be from frustration at the mechanics or outright bugginess. You'll want to forgive it its flaws because it does Victorian London so well, something you just can't get elsewhere. But leave it a few minutes and it reveals itself to be as utterly flawed as its forebears, a beautiful facade on a rotting core.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
ashikenshin
Subscriber

The usual suspects giving high praise for Ubisoft crap.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

My wife loves this series. I don't understand why, but she preordered it today. Hopefully she isn't disappointed like she was with Unity.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

They pretty much had to get this one right..or the franchise would have been over...
Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I think I'll give this one a shot. The setting really interests me and the overall same-ish feeling of the systems won't necessarily bother me; I've skipped a good number of these games, so I won't mind a little bit of familiarity.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
AlienDev
Banned

More boaught and paided for reviews I see. The AC games have gone way down hill.
AlienDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Meusli
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
My wife loves this series. I don't understand why, but she preordered it today. Hopefully she isn't disappointed like she was with Unity.
I like to get fucked and collect stuff, it's very therapeutic in an OCD kind of way. But I must admit I am tiring of the series and think it could do with a couple of years rest. By the time I get round to this I will be buying it in a sale, with less bugs and half the price.
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDev View Post
More boaught and paided for reviews I see. The AC games have gone way down hill.
Yeah, because the game certainly can't be good; all positive comments are clearly paid for.

If you actually read some of these reviews...they actually point out plenty of negative aspects. After reading these reviews, I can surmise that AC: Syndicate is a fun but flawed game that still relies on the systems its been using since the series' inception. It does a very good job at creating atmosphere and presenting 1800's London, but it's ultimately more of the same.

In other words, it's worth it if you like the series. If you're tired of these games, you probably won't like it.

Bought and paid for, my ass.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Bought and paid for, my ass.
You know this how? were you involved in the making of the 9/10 reviews? It is known these companies pay for reviews, it's not some crazy conspiracy theory. Hell, there is a news article on developers writing the reviews themselves.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
You know this how? were you involved in the making of the 9/10 reviews? It is known these companies pay for reviews, it's not some crazy conspiracy theory. Hell, there is a news article on developers writing the reviews themselves.
I could turn the very same question around to you: How do you know for a fact any of these were bought and paid for? Given how one of the reviews is a 5/10 and the others point out a number of issues and flaws that have been around since the series' inception, I fail to see how these would necessarily be paid for. The ones I read weren't overly positive or glowing, but did make mention of the game being fun...if you're still capable of sticking around with the series at this point. Hell, one of them even calls the series out for getting stale and stagnant, especially with games like MGS5 out on the market at the same time.

Every time a review round-up is posted, we get the same damn accusations being flung out. It's a little old at this point.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
I like to get fucked and collect stuff, it's very therapeutic in an OCD kind of way. But I must admit I am tiring of the series and think it could do with a couple of years rest. By the time I get round to this I will be buying it in a sale, with less bugs and half the price.
She enjoys the series. I understand people have likes, my issue is that it is yearly. A game like this shouldn't be yearly. It should take a break, even a year, and just let it breathe, and then make you miss it.

I stopped picking them up at the time of launch, picked up unity for 7 dollars, and got Black Flag for free. Still have yet to play them. They just lost me as a fan because of the yearly installs.

But, hey, my wife likes them and that makes me happy.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Platinumed the last two AC games on PS4, and getting this DAY ONE, haters!

My most played series by far in terms of finished games. I've actually FINISHED AC1, AC2, AC3, Brotherhood, Revelations, Black Flag, and Unity. I own Rogue, Liberation HD, and Chronicles too.

I deserve a gold star in the form of an assassin's weapon.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
The usual suspects giving high praise for Ubisoft crap.
The big sites almost always lean toward positive reviews unless they see everyone else jumping on the bashing bandwagon.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

I own the same gold star that ElektroDragon sports, but will be waiting on this one. Not because of any review, but rather because it's going up head-to-head against both BLOPS3 AND Fallout 4. I'll play it, but only after I'm done with those titles. Poor timing I'm afraid Ubi...
Old 10-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #17
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

How do we STILL not have a feudal Japan version of this game on console?

Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I do think it's interesting that only the "big guys" gave the game a really favorable review, though maybe, even though they always do, it's a coincidence.
Regardless, the series is watered down. Hilarious to hear someone like spectral talking about Nintendo rehashing Zelda.

In an 8 year span:

I want:
Assassin's Creed: In the Future
Assassin's Creed: Caveman Days

I'll pay $60 for all of the different possible backdrops.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I do think it's interesting that only the "big guys" gave the game a really favorable review, though maybe, even though they always do, it's a coincidence.
Regardless, the series is watered down. Hilarious to hear someone like spectral talking about Nintendo rehashing Zelda.

In an 8 year span:

I want:
Assassin's Creed: In the Future
Assassin's Creed: Caveman Days

I'll pay $60 for all of the different possible backdrops.
Nintendo rehashes yes. Glad you're finally admitting it. So does Ubisoft with Farcrys and Asscreeds.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo rehashes yes. Glad you're finally admitting it. So does Ubisoft with Farcrys and Asscreeds.
If you mean having sequels or using the same IP = rehash, then sure. Clearly there's a difference between an average of 2-3 releases on a generation across all platforms, and 12 or more across the platforms of that generation.

It's too much, and at least the last one I've played, the core gameplay hasn't changed enough to merit so many. Maybe this one is different and really good. (Heh-heh)

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assassin's creed, syndicate, ubisoft