Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:20 PM
10 Replies, 720 Views

Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
How do we STILL not have a feudal Japan version of this game on console?
Now you are thinking outside the box. Paris? Meh. London? Meh. Feudal Japan! That's where they should have gone after Pirates. Heck, you could have fit some sailing into that one.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #22
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Also ninjas are a perfect fit :P
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
I'd like the Morioris across New Zealand, or maybe something involving the Sumarians. I think the next step is somewhere between 2054 and 2061, ala Call of Duty, though.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Great point!

Old 10-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...
Old 10-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
If you mean having sequels or using the same IP = rehash, then sure. Clearly there's a difference between an average of 2-3 releases on a generation across all platforms, and 12 or more across the platforms of that generation.

It's too much, and at least the last one I've played, the core gameplay hasn't changed enough to merit so many. Maybe this one is different and really good. (Heh-heh)
What's worse rehashing the same gameplay on a yearly basis, or rehasing the same gameplay over a span of mutiyear dev cycles with little to absolutely no innovation besides waggle or using a tablet as a controller?

Syndicate is no different than Unity, I own Unity, what I've seen of Syndicate, it's the same game just set in London rather than France.

Personally the only thing I'm interested in from Ubisoft is Watch Dogs 2, because unlike everyone on EVAV I actually enjoyed the first one. But really Ubisoft is pretty stuck in doing their brand of mostly samey open world games, in the same way Bethesda does their brand of open world games, it all comes down to personal tastes if one prefers how they do it or not as to if they'll enjoy the latest AssCreed, I'll be skipping it at least til its either really cheap or a vastly discounted steam sale. I haven't even finished Unity and not even sure when I'll get around to it since I think there's other games coming that do it better and are more interesting a setting to me, like a Fallout 4, or another play through of the Witcher 3, which was by all means quite fantastic.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #27
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:

Im not a fan of the series, but thats a fine question.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #28
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo rehashes yes. Glad you're finally admitting it. So does Ubisoft with Farcrys and Asscreeds.
You tend to be very loose with your concept of what constitutes a "rehash".

Super Mario Brothers, for instance, you have frequently called a "rehash" despite the fact that nearly every incarnation is radically different from one another save for the fact that they star the same main character. There's more difference between Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine than there is between Quake and Unreal or Tekken and Soul Caliber, or any number of other modern genre competitors.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #29
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:

Wait for CoD...er I mean AssCreed 25.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #30
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
I can't tell if you guys are being sarcastic or not.

I'm not sure the thing Assassin'c Creed needs in order to stop being a formulaic video game is ninjas...

Personally i think all these recent settings have been amazing. I just lose interest in the entire concept as soon as they start talking about Assassin's and Templars and blah blah blah. They keep weighing down interesting games with the albatross of a kind-of-terrible sci-fi plotline that they don't actually seem all that interested in progressing.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #31
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

As much as I would love the Japan setting, they will never do it. They would have to go back to a stealth game, and they aren't about to do that. Assassin's Creed couldn't be further from the initial idea. Where once I was excited about a stealth assassin game, we aren't getting that. While there are "assassinations" in the game, they aren't being done by an Assassin.

As for Ubisoft rehashing games two of their franchises have the same formula. Far Cry and Assassin's Creed both have the climb the tower to unlock more bs. The only difference, one is a third person "action adventure" and the other is a FPS. But they have a lot of the same core aspects.
SaintBlitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #32
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
You tend to be very loose with your concept of what constitutes a "rehash".

Super Mario Brothers, for instance, you have frequently called a "rehash" despite the fact that nearly every incarnation is radically different from one another save for the fact that they star the same main character. There's more difference between Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine than there is between Quake and Unreal or Tekken and Soul Caliber, or any number of other modern genre competitors.
No their really isn't, yay they added a water cannon to sunshine. It's still a mario platformer, collect stars jump on goombas. YIPPIE! 30 years and Nintendo is still making the same fucking game over and over again.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #33
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
No their really isn't, yay they added a water cannon to sunshine. It's still a mario platformer, collect stars jump on goombas. YIPPIE! 30 years and Nintendo is still making the same fucking game over and over again.
Same characters (it's the same IP) means same game? Yes, nothing different between Super Mario Bros and Galaxy at all. Nothing. It has Mario and Goombas and a jump button, and therefore is the same game.

Hell, what's the difference between Super Mario Bros 2 and Mario 64?

Cloned bullshit, unlike all of the amazing unique experiences on the AAA multiplat front.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #34
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

I believe what he is trying to say is the base overall concept is the same. It doesn't matter if it is in a 3D space or a 2D space. Mario will be jumping on goombas and collecting coins.

Are there different features to each one. Sure there is, there has to be something new. That new twist. But they always stick to the same formula because it works. No matter if you are in a 3D space, or 2D. Mario, and the idea, has been the same since the get go.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #35
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
I believe what he is trying to say is the base overall concept is the same. It doesn't matter if it is in a 3D space or a 2D space. Mario will be jumping on goombas and collecting coins.

Are there different features to each one. Sure there is, there has to be something new. That new twist. But they always stick to the same formula because it works. No matter if you are in a 3D space, or 2D. Mario, and the idea, has been the same since the get go.
Sure I agree, but that's far too broad to call it a rehash. Is every shooter then a rehash, because the basic mechanics remains the same? You're just shooting, in first person mode. Again. Yawn? It's called a genre. In this case, platformer, whether 3D or 2D. In DK you're jumping and collecting bananas. In Kazooie, youre jumping and collecting notes. At that rate, let's just not play games, because you're just moving a joystick around and pushing buttons. Rehash.

What I feel would maybe more accurately constitute the word rehash is a series with very quick release schedules that rely on a more detailed level, on reusing the same elements, to the point where it feels like the exact same game as the last (the very year before) with a few more details and maybe a different setting. Assassin's Creed feels like rehashing to me. So did Far Cry 4 from Far Cry 3. And many other examples.

At the end of the day, you're just pushing buttons, so is it all the same? It's what's in the game. I've never found Mario (considering it's length as a running IP) to be overly stale or without enough change. Not the way some AAAs do nowadays at least.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #36
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Sure I agree, but that's far too broad to call it a rehash. Is every shooter then a rehash, because the basic mechanics remains the same? You're just shooting, in first person mode. Again. Yawn? It's called a genre. In this case, platformer, whether 3D or 2D. In DK you're jumping and collecting bananas. In Kazooie, youre jumping and collecting notes. At that rate, let's just not play games, because you're just moving a joystick around and pushing buttons. Rehash.

What I feel would maybe more accurately constitute the word rehash is a series with very quick release schedules that rely on a more detailed level, on reusing the same elements, to the point where it feels like the exact same game as the last (the very year before) with a few more details and maybe a different setting. Assassin's Creed feels like rehashing to me. So did Far Cry 4 from Far Cry 3. And many other examples.

At the end of the day, you're just pushing buttons, so is it all the same? It's what's in the game. I've never found Mario (considering it's length as a running IP) to be overly stale or without enough change. Not the way some AAAs do nowadays at least.
I wouldn't file Mario games as rehash, but I can see where he is coming from and I see how similar all the games are when broken to the essential game play and why someone may call it a rehash.

Ass Creed, Far Cry are probably the two biggest rehash titles there are. Its partly the reason I don't buy them anymore (thank god for game share), each game feels exactly like the last. The minor changes they make from one title to the next don't constitute making a new game for.

Assassin's Creed to me, need to take a year break. Let that breathe and let people miss that game. That is what I enjoyed so much about AC2. It was gone, they made major changes, and it was amazing. But then yearly titles started to form, and it was the same year after year after year. Got stale quickly. And when the supposedly good ones came, I was so bored with the series, I didn't care.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #37
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Bingo. Ooo it's 3d now like the rest of the industry was long before Nintendo, so glad they caught up! I'm tired of platformers on the whole, period. That gameplay was great 25 years ago when it was all the tech of the day could muster. Now? We've moved way beyond that to open sprawling worlds.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #38
SaintBlitzkrieg
On Hiatus For Awhile

Quote:
Bingo. Ooo it's 3d now like the rest of the industry was long before Nintendo, so glad they caught up! I'm tired of platformers on the whole, period. That gameplay was great 25 years ago when it was all the tech of the day could muster. Now? We've moved way beyond that to open sprawling worlds.
I just wish Mario franchise as a whole, would progress to something greater than just a platformer. Sure, they have their other lineups like Party, and their sports, but when they released the RPG, that was amazing and fun. But they haven't done too much more outside of that.

Could you imagine, a Mario game that is like Ocarina of Time? Your different abilities come from the different outfits you come across. That would be a very interesting game, but they will continue to focus on that platform game, because it sells.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #39
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I just wish Mario franchise as a whole, would progress to something greater than just a platformer. Sure, they have their other lineups like Party, and their sports, but when they released the RPG, that was amazing and fun. But they haven't done too much more outside of that.

Could you imagine, a Mario game that is like Ocarina of Time? Your different abilities come from the different outfits you come across. That would be a very interesting game, but they will continue to focus on that platform game, because it sells.
I do agree with you. I think really, especially with Super Mario Maker already released, its time for something pretty different.

Though Nintendo themselves very recently released a statement saying it's time for the IP to drastically change, and Mario as we know it is pretty much in the past. I think Nintendo and Nintendo game fans are exactly where you're at. I have a hunch whatever they do next with Mario on the NX will be pretty different.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #40
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I disagree Spectral, though not entirely. I understand what you're getting at, but sometimes I don't want a giant, open sprawling world with a million gameplay mechanics. When its a weekday or a busy weekend, I want something I can jump into for 30 minutes, then hit the off button and not feel like A. I didn't get anywhere at all, or B. I was leaving in the middle of some long trek or quest. They can't all be long 200 hour adventures. There's a place for not that, sometimes.

Tags
assassin's creed, syndicate, ubisoft