Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 05:39 PM
5 Replies, 559 Views

Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Report: There Won't Be a Big New Assassin's Creed Game in 2016 #AssassinsCreed

Rumor has it that Ubisoft is going bi-annual with the Assassin's Creed franchise. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Since the release of Assassin's Creed II in 2009, we've gotten a new entry in the core franchise every year (alongside spinoffs, in the case of most recent years). That won't be the case again this year, as a new report suggests that Ubisoft will skip 2016 in favor of a 2017 release for a new game set in Egypt.

News of this first cropped up on 4chan (via NeoGAF), where an alleged developer claimed the new game would be "a complete revamp of the series" featuring "a Witcher feel, with player progression" and a "freeform combat system." Kotaku has since corroborated some of these details, saying the game is currently called Assassin's Creed Empire and could signal a bi-annual release schedule for the series going forward. It also says the hole in Ubisoft's fall schedule could be filled by Watch Dogs 2, which is reportedly set in San Francisco.

According to the 4chan poster, the new Assassin's Creed protagonist is either a "slave or ex-slave" with a pet eagle that players are able to control. (Ubisoft recently announced a VR game where you fly over Paris as an eagle, for what it's worth.) It's also said to contain "a lot more story" than the other games and is much more colorful.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Rumor has it that Ubisoft is going bi-annual with the Assassin's Creed franchise.
Would be a smart move, so it's probably not true, lol.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

This franchise hasn't done much for me sense the first one. The story is convoluted at best, and it's just one fetch quest after another. Boring!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Would be a smart move, so it's probably not true, lol.
This would be the worst year to skip a yearly product, since the Assassin's Creed movie is coming out this year. If all they have on the shelves is Syndicate, a game that is over a year old, they are totally passing up easy money.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

This is a good idea. People need to miss it for a while so they can get excited about the series again...
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
DosTacos
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
This franchise hasn't done much for me sense the first one. The story is convoluted at best, and it's just one fetch quest after another. Boring!
I loved the first one! It was so new and exciting, then came the sequels re-hashing the same thing over and over in a slightly different tune. I gave up on this series many years ago.
DosTacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
willbert
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosTacos View Post
I loved the first one! It was so new and exciting, then came the sequels re-hashing the same thing over and over in a slightly different tune. I gave up on this series many years ago.

I couldnt even finish the first one. It felt like gta meets prince of persia or something. Same old bullshit. AAA titles have lost their meaning as soon as it became a thing to say "AAA titles". It defined their lackluster development and rehashing.
willbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
This would be the worst year to skip a yearly product
And the DS is a failure. And PC gaming is dead!

Now that you've weighed in, we know what to do for success. The opposite.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #9
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Wish they would just make a sequel to Black Flag. Such an awesome game. Every time I play the newer ones I can't get into them.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #10
Karai Pantsu
Evil Dead

Bi-annual is probably a smart move. The last few AC games have been absolute garbage on launch, and still bad weeks afterwards. Some more time to code and test properly might actually restore this to a prestige franchise like it used to be.
Karai Pantsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
This would be the worst year to skip a yearly product, since the Assassin's Creed movie is coming out this year. If all they have on the shelves is Syndicate, a game that is over a year old, they are totally passing up easy money.
On the flip side, though, this year is jam packed with releases that got delayed from last year and releases planned to come out this year. This seems like the actual first year of the next generation.

My question is: Since they have two teams that alternate years, isn't EVERY game bi-annual? Doesn't this just mean one team got fired or something?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #12
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

First one was pretty average, only seemed like a proof of concept, 2 and 3 were good then you got the back and forth. I don't think 3 was ever as bad as some people made out, dunno why it got so much hate, maybe US History is a bit boring?

Then for some reason they just dumped the whole Desmond thing.

Going bi-annual is a good idea. They were flooding the market and it wasn't allowing for good games.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Let's remember, they actually were at the point of releasing TWO ass creeds a year
Rogue and Unity were the same year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuu1dyzgtmU
They were WAY oversaturating the market.
I do wonder if this means the Toronto team is getting shizcanned though. They booted Jade after AC3 and still didn't get the house to find the fun.

I hope they do solve what's "right" for AC series.
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
On the flip side, though, this year is jam packed with releases that got delayed from last year and releases planned to come out this year. This seems like the actual first year of the next generation.

My question is: Since they have two teams that alternate years, isn't EVERY game bi-annual? Doesn't this just mean one team got fired or something?
I think it is a good idea for them to skip the yearly cycle, this is just the wrong year to do that because they have a big movie coming out and no product to sell with the movie.

That is why they rushed Battlefront onto the market, to have the game available at the same time as the movie.

Of course, you have to balance that against the fact that both of the last two AC games have only done average sales. If the movie wasn't coming out, it would be the perfect time to give the series a break -- or to make another Black Flag.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #15
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

They need to re-work so much of the formula at this point that I feel like a good AC game wouldn't even be recognizable.

The overarching story is pretty poor, the open world activities all feel lifeless, the combat is outdated and uninspired.

Give me some imitation Souls combat and assassinations that actually require me to think. Give me Hitman meets Dark Souls in the middle ages. Then you've got me back.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

Absolutely agree this is the best course of action--the brand is being damaged by the frequency causing market saturation and quality of games dipping. As Evil said, not happening.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
The hidden meaning is that they will remaster Rogue for current gen and release that instead of "new" game and YOU will be happy because it's got ships and naval combat again.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
Fubl
Evil Dead

Rogue was great. Syndicate was decent to OK. Unity even playing a year later really bored me. Iii was a little to long for my liking and never finished the only one in the series I can say that about.

Also do not forget we are probably getting two aide scrollers this year in the India and the Russian parts of the chronicles series
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
The hidden meaning is that they will remaster Rogue for current gen and release that instead of "new" game and YOU will be happy because it's got ships and naval combat again.
I just bought it for the PS3 last night, it is on sale for $7.68.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #20
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

That's a great deal for Rogue, but don't you wish the framerate was better than 15?
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assassin's creed, ubisoft