Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Fan made DOOM, Half-Life & Classic Shooters on Dreamcast

Time to give the Dreamcast some lovin'
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
RAV
Evil Dead

I think that collecting for dedicated hardware is a significant part of the fun. The more specialized and odd the machine, the more fun is it to collect for it, because it preserves an experience that you just don't get anywhere else. Sure, emulators can somewhat ensure conservation, but it just ain't the same. The more consoles become like just another PC hardware, this aspect gets lost, too.

I wonder though... maybe we see a time where the hobby scene makes their own consoles with weird concepts. The building components are out there now. And you could maybe even merge physical Board games with console hardware and robotics and software. I mean think about that... you could make really unique stuff...

I have seen some board games try make first baby steps by including apps for your smartphone. In that case it makes it easier to learn the game, since the app handles the rules for you, tells which player turn it is, what your options for actions are, etc, so you don't have to learn through thick manuals. It also provides AI players for you to play with, either to play alone, or fill up a team to max.

Now if you go all balls out on the concept and fully integrate the boards and figures themselves with computer game hardware stuff, and make very specialized scenarios it could be amazing, and extremely enjoyable to collect.

Maybe someone will make this work, and maybe this could carry forth the joy of collecting into the future

Uh, now the following is a bit out there, not sure why I post it here or how it would precisely fit into what I just described... I guess, I just want to show how cool it is to have this physical and unique aspect to collect stuff, and god knows how we could make this fit with computer games.

Last edited by RAV; 11-19-2019 at 05:42 PM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dreamcast, fps, metal jesus, sega