How To Post YouTube...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:54 AM
0 Replies, 107 Views

Old 05-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA Senior Software Engineer: 'The Wii U Is Crap'

Bob Summerwill, a Senior Software Engineer and Architect at Electronic Arts, let his opinion of the Wii U be known in a series of now deleted tweets. IGN has the story, and screen caps of the comments.

Quote:
Twitter can be an interesting place to voice your opinions, and EA’s Bob Summerwill – a Senior Software Engineer and Architect – has sounded-off there with his thoughts about Nintendo’s struggling Wii U console. His comments, of course, follow EA's admission that it has no Wii U games in development.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Mazzicc
Evil Dead

On the heels of the Microsoft Twitter fiasco, my theory is this guy wants a new job, and figured the easiest way to put his name out there was to get fired from EA in a "scandal"
Mazzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
inscribed
Evil Dead

EA... the scorned woman. Something must have happened behind the scenes between EA and Nintendo to piss EA off enough to launch their little campaign against the big N.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

People want to work on the sexiest console of the day, not the underpowered, limp-wristed console. Programming for the Wii-U probably feels like trying to wear the same clothes you fit into when you were 12.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
People want to work on the sexiest console of the day, not the underpowered, limp-wristed console. Programming for the Wii-U probably feels like trying to wear the same clothes you fit into when you were 12.
As someone with limp wrists, this comment really burns. I'd rather have no affiliation with the Wii U.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
see colon
Evil Dead

If a console's "power" made games better then why is the best Aliens game ever made on the Nintendo DS?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Radiozo
Evil Dead

EA is crap.
Radiozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
If a console's "power" made games better then why is the best Aliens game ever made on the Nintendo DS?
Too bad it isn't on the Wii U.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
NeoNecro
Reaper

I'll settle this! Wii U is Crap! EA is crap!
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Zelos
Evil Dead

I remember when the Wii U was first announced EA was all lovey dovey. Then at the next E3 EA was nowhere to be found. Something must have happend during that time period to really piss off EA.

One of the rumors I've heard is that Nintendo and EA where in talks to use EA's Origin online service, then during that silence period Nintendo must have backed off and is the sole reason EA is crying like a baby.

Granted, this is just a rumor, but it is rumor that I can see being true. If it is then good, Orgin sucks.

Why not Zoidberg?
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
IndependentGMR
Evil Dead

Seems like an incredibly ignorant comment to make considering his job. Maybe someone hacked his account. The Wii U is definitely not in great shape at this point, but I'd hardly label Nintendo as walking dead. The 3DS is picking up steam, and I'm sure Nintendo is making money there. I don't think the Wii U going to sell even close to as many units as the original Wii, but I'd really like to see what Retro is working. That, and Smash Bros. will sell systems.
IndependentGMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Seems like an incredibly ignorant comment to make considering his job. Maybe someone hacked his account. The Wii U is definitely not in great shape at this point, but I'd hardly label Nintendo as walking dead. The 3DS is picking up steam, and I'm sure Nintendo is making money there. I don't think the Wii U going to sell even close to as many units as the original Wii, but I'd really like to see what Retro is working. That, and Smash Bros. will sell systems
I'm not sure this will impact his career at all. My guess is that this is the current EA corporate line. "Nintendo isn't any good and that's why we're not supporting it". He's just articulating the internal EA thought process.

I see alot of wishful thinking here though. I had a Wii, even though I never used it. At this late stage, I don't really care what games N pulls out of their asses for the WiiU, I'm unlikely to buy their new console. It's pretty clear, time is running out for them, at least in the console space. Everyone says "when they finally get Mario released, all will be forgiven". I'm just not so sure.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Don't worry, we're just in a transition phase between console generations. All will be well; in fact, all is well right now. Games are selling great, there's just not that many of them around!

/sarcasm

It wouldn't surprise me if this 'separation/divorce' between EA and Nintendo's Wii U is related to Origin and/or online control; EA wants it, maybe they couldn't get it. Whatever the reason, EA has a stable of games that people just expect to be available on your platform. After all, they're seemingly available on EVERY platform!

Can't be good for Nintendo.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
IndependentGMR
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I'm not sure this will impact his career at all. My guess is that this is the current EA corporate line. "Nintendo isn't any good and that's why we're not supporting it". He's just articulating the internal EA thought process.

I see alot of wishful thinking here though. I had a Wii, even though I never used it. At this late stage, I don't really care what games N pulls out of their asses for the WiiU, I'm unlikely to buy their new console. It's pretty clear, time is running out for them, at least in the console space. Everyone says "when they finally get Mario released, all will be forgiven". I'm just not so sure.
I hear you, but most businesses don't want their internal thoughts aired out in the public space. Also, I don't necessarily think all will be forgiven with the release of key titles, but I think their brand is still more powerful than people think. Watch this video. I know it's old, but there has only been one additional console Zelda game since then. It's not exactly milking the franchise as so many people like to say. If they were on the verge of dropping out of the console space, they have plenty of leeway to drop a bombshell with a classic franchise.

Losing EA is definitely a blow to the gut, but I think they can survive. A new Zelda or Smash Bros. is probably not enought to catapult the Wii U beyond the next Xbox or PS4, but those types of games will sell systems.
IndependentGMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzicc View Post
On the heels of the Microsoft Twitter fiasco, my theory is this guy wants a new job, and figured the easiest way to put his name out there was to get fired from EA in a "scandal"
In the Microsoft case, MS didn't want consumers to know that their next console was "always online" and having an employee heckle your potential customers is kind of a customer service "No. No.".

In this case, EA has announced that they don't care about the Wii U and one of their employees is saying the exact same thing. I don't think he will get much more than a slap on the wrist.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #16
Roc Ingersol
Evil Dead

Funny how EA agrees with this guy (no titles this year; none in development). But their PR guy makes it sound like they don't.

And hurt feelings aside: if EA thought they could make worthwhile coin supporting Wii U, they'd do it. They'd have to. Hell, if *anyone* thought it was worthwhile they'd at least be getting grief from major shareholders. My guess is they have plenty of data saying the Wii didn't pan out for them, and the Wii U isn't selling anywhere near the same, so why bother?
Roc Ingersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
bean19
Butt Stallion

I worked for EA and the NDA I signed made it so that I couldn't even admit that I worked for EA. Of course, I did tell my friends and family, but while I worked there, I never admitted it to you guys. Even if we agreed with the company, they want the company's communication handled by people that are paid to do that and are experts at it, so I'm sure this guy is in trouble. I have no idea how much trouble he is in though as I've seen people get a slap on the wrist or fired over breaking the NDA (usually fired).
bean19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
PSPfreak
Banned

Well supposedly everything video game-related these days is crap so what's the point in saying that?
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Wow that's some serious "stupid" and I would say he will be fired, rightly so imo, don't care if he's correct in his assessment it's irrelevant.

Personally I think it's simple numbers, the Wii U user base isn't big enough.
However nobody can predict with utter certainty that it won't take off and become viable in the future hence why I don't think "Bob" has much of a future in his current role.

I seriously suspect they were "beer" tweets... oooh the dangers of alcohol and modern technology ;P
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNecro View Post
I'll settle this! Wii U is Crap! EA is crap!
Mets Suck! Nics Suck! Krypton Sucks!

/Family Guy

Tags
are corporations people?, corporations are gingers, corporations are people, electronic arts, i have to poop brb, mitt romney, mutual of omaha is people, nintendo, no souls, people are corporations, wii u