Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:39 PM
14 Replies, 431 Views

Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

2017 Was A Record Breaking Year For Activision Blizzard

MCV has word that Activision Blizzard revealed Q4 2017 was its best ever quarter, topping off its best ever year.

Quote:
The company blitzed past its $1.7bn forecast for Q4 2017, making $2.04bn over the three months. This contributed to the $7.01bn revenue Activision Blizzard enjoyed for the entire fiscal year. An increase of $400m over FY 2016.

"This was a record quarter to cap off a record year for Activision Blizzard," said Bobby Kotick, chief executive officer of Activision Blizzard. "In 2017, our community reached new milestones for engagement, our business delivered record revenues and cash flows, and we made important progress in building future growth opportunities such as the Overwatch League™. We couldn't be more excited for the opportunities ahead in 2018 to continue serving our players and fans."

During the investor call Activision Blizzard also mentioned a “major expansion” to Destiny 2 for later in the year. This is likely separate to the smaller expansions already announced and hopefully of a similar scale to Destiny’s 2015 expansion The Taken King. With sentiment and player numbers for Destiny 2 at an all time low, a large-scale expansion of the size (and quality) of The Taken King has the potential to fix a lot of issues and bring a lot of players back.

Elsewhere in the financial report Activision Blizzard boasts that “Call of Duty: WWII was the top-grossing console game of the year globally, with the franchise's biggest launch quarter sell-through on current-generation consoles. The game set a Sony PlayStation milestone as the biggest day one digital release ever.” Also that “Destiny 2 was the second-highest-grossing console game in North America for the year, had the largest PC launch in Activision history based on units, and had a higher attach rate on its first expansion than Destiny.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Back in the good old days EA used to actually compete with Activision by making some good games, instead of just relying on whales to buy virtual player card packs in FIFA and Madden. I also remember when Ubisoft was cutting edge.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Dat ass. What.... she's a cartoon, I can say that.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
Dat ass. What.... she's a cartoon, I can say that.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I'm assuming you're joking here despite being somewhat of a special snowflake yourself.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Back in the good old days EA used to actually compete with Activision by making some good games, instead of just relying on whales to buy virtual player card packs in FIFA and Madden. I also remember when Ubisoft was cutting edge.
I still think Ubisoft makes some decent titles. Wildlands is solid. The Division is underrated, and I actually really liked the first Watch_Dogs (Yes I know I'm a minority in that.) They make decent open world titles imo.

EA sadly has more misses than hits outside the sports titles, too much focus on microtransactions
Old 02-12-2018, 01:43 AM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I'm assuming you're joking here despite being somewhat of a special snowflake yourself.
I was joking. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to talking about sex, but sexuality doesn't offend me. There's nothing offensive to me about a chick with a nice ass, even in video game art. Yes, sexuality exists in humans. Never understood anyone getting offended by it.

I don't think I'm a "special snowflake" though. Actually, I'm not even sure what that means exactly. Delicate, physically or emotionally? I'm physically fairly capable from my years as a laborer and carpenter and okay genetics for it, but I'm not an athlete by any stretch and all these latest years at a sit-down job have softened me up more than I'd like. Getting a bit of a belly, unfortunately. As far as emotionally, I don't think so, either. Nothing genuinely bothers me very much. I've come to terms with things like my own mortality and loved ones' mortality. Or is it that I think I'm special? I definitely don't think I'm unique. Objectively, I'm pretty modest about who I am, unless I'm being over-the-top to be "funny". Another person in billions. I'm not very loud unless the rare situation calls for it. I'm not brash. I wear jeans and t-shirt often with pretty mute colors, and I'm pretty innocuous. I come from humble means. My parents raised me very low on the totem pole as far as US standards of wealth go. I don't have a lot of reasons to think I'm special. I work a pretty average job, make an average living. I don't really have any unique talents or abilities. Even around the hobby of video games, I'm probably a tick above average but couldn't compete with high tier, competitive gamers by a long shot. I don't have the reflexes or reaction speed for it. I think my video game "skills" have diminished with age actually. I'm not as good at games now in my 30s than I was in my 20s. As I play more competitive games with younger generations, I feel pretty inept half the time. Playing Overwatch is a great way to make me feel inept at games. Despite humble means, I've never felt like the world "owed me a living". I don't rage out of someone makes my food wrong in a restaurant. I don't ever really feel entitled to much. I'm happy getting by with fairly little, really. I don't think "special snowflake" applies, unless I got the meaning wrong.

I've got this friend. He's a good enough guy. A little immature, but he mostly means well. He goes around calling people "special snowflakes". If someone calls him on any of his nonsense though, he's the first to retreat to what he would otherwise call a "safe space". Just a thought. You seem to think you're pretty awesome. Maybe you're the snowflake.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-12-2018 at 04:47 AM..
Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #9
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't think I'm a "special snowflake" though. Actually, I'm not even sure what that means exactly. Delicate, physically or emotionally? I'm physically fairly capable from my years as a laborer and carpenter and okay genetics for it, but I'm not an athlete by any stretch and all these latest years at a sit-down job have softened me up more than I'd like. Getting a bit of a belly, unfortunately. As far as emotionally, I don't think so, either. Nothing genuinely bothers me very much. I've come to terms with things like my own mortality and loved ones' mortality. Or is it that I think I'm special? I definitely don't think I'm unique. Objectively, I'm pretty modest about who I am, unless I'm being over-the-top to be "funny". Another person in billions. I'm not very loud unless the rare situation calls for it. I'm not brash. I wear jeans and t-shirt often with pretty mute colors, and I'm pretty innocuous. I come from humble means. My parents raised me very low on the totem pole as far as US standards of wealth go. I don't have a lot of reasons to think I'm special. I work a pretty average job, make an average living. I don't really have any unique talents or abilities. Even around the hobby of video games, I'm probably a tick above average but couldn't compete with high tier, competitive gamers by a long shot. I don't have the reflexes or reaction speed for it. I think my video game "skills" have diminished with age actually. I'm not as good at games now in my 30s than I was in my 20s. As I play more competitive games with younger generations, I feel pretty inept half the time. Playing Overwatch is a great way to make me feel inept at games. Despite humble means, I've never felt like the world "owed me a living". I don't rage out of someone makes my food wrong in a restaurant. I don't ever really feel entitled to much. I'm happy getting by with fairly little, really. I don't think "special snowflake" applies, unless I got the meaning wrong.
That TOLD HIM!
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
That TOLD HIM!
he heh heh, it was kind of self-deprecating. Ah well, that's the reality of it. What he said didn't bother me. It's sort of like when my 5 year old son calls me a "dummy" when he's upset when I say "no". I usually just laugh, and pat him on the head. I just thought I'd unpackage and fully address his claim in the most objective way I possibly could. Not that I felt I really had to. Just logged on before I started my shift and had some time to burn.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #11
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Look at Activision Blizzard making the monies! Microsoft should really consider buying them over EA.

It makes sense to buy success and then kill the momentum vs. buying failure and hoping to resurrect it to profitable levels.
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
That TOLD HIM!
Yeah not really.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't think I'm a "special snowflake" though. Actually, I'm not even sure what that means exactly.
It's something we say in the military when somebody does not want to conform, execute, or otherwise obey. Typically in regards to instructions that may not make sense to the individual, despite the rest of the unit or organization following them.

I'm not sure it applies to you here, either.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:31 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
... execute, or otherwise obey. Typically in regards to instructions that may not make sense to the individual, despite the rest of the unit or organization following them.
Oh, shit. Outside the context of the military, that does sound a little more like me when you put it that way.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-13-2018 at 03:58 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I don't think the term snowflake really carries the same meaning in pop culture that it does in the military. When the right talks about snowflakes on the left, it's usually in regards to a delicate person who thinks they're so unique. And Patrick, you know I don't agree with your politics but I also wouldn't put you in the snowflake category either.

Back on topic, I heard elsewhere that half of Activision's cash came from mircotransactions this year. If it's true, this vexes me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #16
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Back on topic, I heard elsewhere that half of Activision's cash came from mircotransactions this year. If it's true, this vexes me.
That's crazy - if true. And I guess that's why, no matter the public backlash, publishers want loot boxes and microtransactions in their games. They sell, apparently. For all the massive noise about Battlefront II, it was the 8th best selling game of the year in North America. Let alone the money they make on loot boxes. While the game didn't sell into the numbers EA would have liked, gamers talk like it was some big victory, and treat the game like it miserably tanked. But the game sold over 9 million units last I checked. And they made additional money on top of that. While not as high as expected, it clearly wasn't bad enough for EA to "learn their lesson".

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-13-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I'm too lazy to research this but I do wonder how many copies of BF2 they sold after the price dropped. My sons love the game but we waited until it dropped to $40 before we picked it up for Christmas. The kids play the free offline modes and that's enough for them. I wonder how many other families did/are doing the same.

However it's hard to argue the point. Right now, microtransactions are still making lots of cash. Perhaps it's a long term loss in terms of damaging brands etc but I don't see a lot of execs really caring about that at this point.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I don't think BF2 has sold any loot boxes yet since they still don't have the real money transaction system in place.

It's supposed to be coming, but I think that will only happen when they do the proposed progression system change they've been talking about.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I don't think BF2 has sold any loot boxes yet since they still don't have the real money transaction system in place.

It's supposed to be coming, but I think that will only happen when they do the proposed progression system change they've been talking about.
Oh, I didn't know they haven't re-released the loot boxes yet. I thought I heard they were coming soon, but couldn't remember exactly when. I haven't actually purchased the game or played it myself. I've just seen gameplay videos and reviews.

Still 9+ million doesn't seem like a total disaster, though to Chief's point, I don't know how much of that was at a discounted price. It's just hard for me to envision loot boxes and microtransactions reversing trend if Activision and the likes are pulling in so much cash with them.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh, I didn't know they haven't re-released the loot boxes yet. I thought I heard they were coming soon, but couldn't remember exactly when. I haven't actually purchased the game or played it myself. I've just seen gameplay videos and reviews.

Still 9+ million doesn't seem like a total disaster, though to Chief's point, I don't know how much of that was at a discounted price. It's just hard for me to envision loot boxes and microtransactions reversing trend if Activision and the likes are pulling in so much cash with them.
Personally I find the whole uproar about it in EA's case a total farce. These are the same people that will spend all sorts of real money on cosmetic items if Blizzard's name is on the front of the box, yet suddenly have a problem when Electronic Arts does the same fucking thing.

Tags
activision, activision blizzard, blizzard, sledgehammer games