Last post by Azzy
Yesterday 09:40 PM
4 Replies, 202 Views

Old 01-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Booda
Beam another Blast

Return To Dark Tower Returns to Kickstarter

Quote:
The coolest game to ever hit the planet first appeared some 38 years ago, featuring an electronic tower that lit up, played music, and somehow ran an epic fantasy adventure game with its state-of-the-art technological wizardry. That game was Dark Tower. We want to bring you that same sense of awe and wonder, pushing the boundaries of what a board game can actually do. After 3 years of painstaking work by a team of two dozen designers, engineers, and artists, we are thrilled to present to you a game with echoes of that long-gone wonder but ultimately unlike any game you've ever experienced.
Kickstarter: Return To Dark Tower
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Booda
Beam another Blast

Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

So... You backed this, or you work for them or...?
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
So... You backed this, or you work for them or...?
Or what?

Backed it. Played the original game when I was a kid & remember really enjoying it.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Or maybe you're doing work for a PR firm who's under contact for RG. Or maybe you're the reincarnation of Milton Bradly himself come back from the grave to right a besmirched mark upon the company.

Point is, it was left open for you to add some context to why this is being posted rather than just being a random link.

You think it's cool? Great! So do I. Backed it a few days ago and it's been blowing up all over the place ^_^
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
modurn
Peon

I got the original board game for Christmas when I was 12 years old. And I am not ashamed to say it was my gateway drug into board games and role playing games that has lasted to this day. I supported these guys previous game, Fireball Island, and they got it done. Now they are doing this and working with 2 of the top designers in board game design today: Rob Daviau the guy who did Betrayal at House on the Hill, and Isaac Childres who created Gloomhaven. These guys know what they are doing. I couldn't give them my money fast enough!
modurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Or maybe you're doing work for a PR firm who's under contact for RG. Or maybe you're the reincarnation of Milton Bradly himself come back from the grave to right a besmirched mark upon the company.

Point is, it was left open for you to add some context to why this is being posted rather than just being a random link.
Oh for fuck's sake Moz.

Did I hold your hand long enough this time to get you through that maze like forest I accidentally dropped you in so you could find some clarity?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
timmyd
Evil Dead

If there was ever anything I'd back on Kickstarter. However I fully expected "Due to high administrative salaries there wasn't any money left for development, and we deeply apologize. Many other projects have hit the same bump in the road, this is the price for being on the bleeding edge of scamming."
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
If there was ever anything I'd back on Kickstarter. However I fully expected "Due to high administrative salaries there wasn't any money left for development, and we deeply apologize. Many other projects have hit the same bump in the road, this is the price for being on the bleeding edge of scamming."
I don't think that's necessarily the case with this particular project.

Do things like that exist? Certainly. But I think that's more of a "first time" issue. These guys have already done two other successful kickstarters, and have 7 games to their company name. They know how the board game industry works, and have the infrastructure in place to produce.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am not necessarily a fan of the unlocks being add-ons you buy for extra money.

You also have to pay shipping.

Feels like it cheapens the whole thing: "At $2m we unlock the ability for you to spend another $100 on the neoprene mat!"

Companies like Cool Mini or Not are terrible about this and it seems to have created a trend.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Well so far it's just the one unlock that's an add-on (thankfully).

But in general I find "stretch goals" to be pretty meaningless anyways. Outside of when kickstarter began lo' those many years ago, I don't think I've been part of one that hasn't "fulfilled" them all (and I've backed 21 projects since 2012).

These days it's clear they are designed as just additional parts that have already been completed and you'd get them released down the road anyways. Kickstarter is more or less a pre-order type system now. Doesn't make much sense to do it, except it's cheaper than retail so if you're going to get something, might as well kickstart it.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I am not necessarily a fan of the unlocks being add-ons you buy for extra money.

You also have to pay shipping.

Feels like it cheapens the whole thing: "At $2m we unlock the ability for you to spend another $100 on the neoprene mat!"

Companies like Cool Mini or Not are terrible about this and it seems to have created a trend.
Steve Jackson Games new Kickstarter for Car Wars was exactly like that. The more money they made, the more stuff they were willing to "sell" you. Not exactly a reward for supporting them. I just passed on the whole project.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
TheHulk
Evil Dead

The original was the best board game of all time. I'll get it at release though.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
dirtbag
El Matador

Looks awesome! Kickstarter isn’t good for a nomadic life, so I’ll look for it at release. Looks like fun to play with my son.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

You think it's cool? Great! So do I. Backed it a few days ago and it's been blowing up all over the place ^_^
There is no more Milton Bradley, or Parker Brothers, it's all Hasbro now.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I have learned the hard way to not back kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns. While software seems to be sort of safe most physical items I've backed have been poor quality and often VERY VERY late.

I have one campaign that I backed in years and years ago from Indiegogo which still hasn't fulfilled their order. Those that have fulfilled are almost always late and end up with bad news like "Oh, sorry we found out we couldn't ship the GPS component to your region. We know it was supposed to be part of the ultra bundle but there's nothing we or you can do. Oh yeah, because there is a higher tariff now than when the campaign started and we promised free shipping (3 years ago) we're going to need you to pony up another $150."

With no recourse for punishing these bad actors I have decided it just isn't worth it. One time I had to shame a campaign into shipping me an item. They were headphones and the team actually sent out inventory to retail outlets before they finished fulfilling their pledges. I was pretty pissed and started bashing them and warning people off on the comments sections. Eventually they shipped my pledge just to shut me up.

And these days even big companies are getting in on the scam. I see Segway doing Indiegogo and JVC and several other big companies. It feels like an even bigger scam when you know the company has plenty of money already and all they are doing is using Indiegogo to fund their R&D.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
There is no more Milton Bradley, or Parker Brothers, it's all Hasbro now.
Well yeah, but the original was Milton Bradley and the reason the game stopped being in print a year after release (despite being successful) was because they were sued for theft of the idea.

Hence there's a wrong to right there.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Kickstarter is a great place for investors to be treated like consumers. Awesome for them, sucker's bet for you.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #19
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Kickstarter is a great place for investors to be treated like consumers. Awesome for them, sucker's bet for you.

Good luck!
Yup! And I'll take saving money over retail (and exclusive items that drive up the secondary market) any day of the week.

It's no longer a "we'll make this item if there's enough interest and we're going to try this out" thing. It's a pre-order system now. The work is mostly completed by the time they kickstart these days, and already on the way to market. At least in the gaming space which is pretty much all I do. Not saying it can't be different in the other spaces, but I have no clue about that.

But unlike video game preorders, these items actually are cheaper vs. retail.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #20
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Or what?

Backed it. Played the original game when I was a kid & remember really enjoying it.
It's made by Daviou and Childers, so pandemic meets Gloomhaven. It could be decent I guess but Childers last game tanked pretty badly and the only thing Daviou can make is another version of Pandemic (after 17 different versions can't we call it enough).

Either way, good, bad, it's too damn expensive for a board game and a dumb assed tower that should have just been controlled by an App.

The fail is strong with this one.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote