Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #21
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
37% RT
47% Metacritic

A NEW CLASSIC
The 2016 Ghostbusters has a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes and Wonder Woman has a 92%. You will forgive me if I don't take their scores seriously.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #22
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The 2016 Ghostbusters has a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes and Wonder Woman has a 92%. You will forgive me if I don't take their scores seriously.
The studios do.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #23
Terran
Evil Dead

Just got back from it. For context, HATED BvS and thought the latest Thor was a lame 'three stooges' ensemble film with a constant need to attempt to be funny.

Justice League is marvelous. Well paced, good story and action, good effects, with measured and effective doses of actual humor rather than a drumbeat of 'the stupids' like Thor: Ragnarok had.

See it. You'll enjoy it immensely.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 AM   #24
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Just got back from it. For context, HATED BvS and thought the latest Thor was a lame 'three stooges' ensemble film with a constant need to attempt to be funny.

Justice League is marvelous. Well paced, good story and action, good effects, with measured and effective doses of actual humor rather than a drumbeat of 'the stupids' like Thor: Ragnarok had.

See it. You'll enjoy it immensely.

OMG a real person opinion!

After people see it they will probably agree with me like you did.

How many people that have scores on those sites ACTUALLY watched the movie?
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
OMG a real person opinion!
It's so much easier to just watch Rotten Tomatoes and pretend like your uninformed opinion is actually worth a damn in any given conversation.

Quote:
How many people that have scores on those sites ACTUALLY watched the movie?
Probably not enough.

I'm going to hopefully catch this over the weekend; I enjoyed Wonder Woman enough and I actually like Batfleck, which means it's worth giving it a shot. I didn't particularly care for MoS or BvS...so, we'll see.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #26
Jotoco
Evil Dead

I'm joking that 99% of the time real people give balanced reviews, even if they dislike the movie.

Because rarely there won't be anything to like.

But opinions on those sites are usually as polarized as our politics today. And, just like our political everything is shit.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #27
Paranoia
Evil Dead

WB really should have made The Flash & Aquaman movie before this one. Their intros was so rushed its hard to root for them.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #28
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The studios do.
This is a great point. A lot of time their are bonus's tied into those scores. Which means the people working on this movie (and on Star Wars Battlefront II) both missed their bonus money.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #29
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is a great point. A lot of time their are bonus's tied into those scores. Which means the people working on this movie (and on Star Wars Battlefront II) both missed their bonus money.
A good real world example is what happened to Obsidian regarding the Fallout New Vegas Metacritic score not breaking 80. I can't believe they will ever work for Bethesda again. That shit cost them a lot of jobs.
Regarding Justice League and RT you know execs at Warner/DC are screaming at each other behind closed doors at this very minute.

Anyway, back to DC. I really enjoyed the first half of Man of Steel and felt it should have ended right when he gets the suit and learns to fly. Expand on his years growing up and exploring the world while coming to terms with his abilities. It would have been great. The trailers were amazing. Too bad they blew it. BvS was a series of cool scenes (every Batman action scene is the best ever filmed) but everything else was forgettable nonsense.
As for people still blaming Zack Snyder, I don't fully buy it. Watchmen is one of my favorite comic book movies and a near perfect adaptation. Excising the bizarre side-plot with the government invented alien invasion blowing up NYC is a rare example where creative liberties helped retain the overall story. Everybody on the cast was awesome. Great soundtrack. One of the few movies where it doesn't matter what part I catch it playing I'll sit and watch to completion every time.
Haven't seen Wonder Woman. Don't care.
Will wait for Justice League to show up at my library in 6 months.

Moral of the story: comic book movies have largely become all about the hype and angry rich guys in suits who know nothing about the source material.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #30
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hum... Time to sell bots that give good/bad scores to these people and share in on the profits
Old 11-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #31
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
As for people still blaming Zack Snyder, I don't fully buy it. Watchmen is one of my favorite comic book movies and a near perfect adaptation. Excising the bizarre side-plot with the government invented alien invasion blowing up NYC is a rare example where creative liberties helped retain the overall story. Everybody on the cast was awesome. Great soundtrack. One of the few movies where it doesn't matter what part I catch it playing I'll sit and watch to completion every time.
That side plot is the entire point of the comic. It is why the comedian is crying to Moloch, because the greatest practical joke in the world is about to be played on humanity. That side plot is why the comedian is killed, why Hollis Mason is killed and why everyone around Dr. Manhattan is given cancer. You can't really excise that part of the story and have it still make any sense and that is why the movie never really works despite looking almost exactly like the comics in every scene and following the comics almost word-for-word.

Without the squid, there isn't a story. It's still a great movie, but Snyder missed one of the huge plot points by cutting out the alien invasion stuff and just substituting Dr. Manhattan.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #32
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
That side plot is the entire point of the comic. It is why the comedian is crying to Moloch, because the greatest practical joke in the world is about to be played on humanity. That side plot is why the comedian is killed, why Hollis Mason is killed and why everyone around Dr. Manhattan is given cancer. You can't really excise that part of the story and have it still make any sense and that is why the movie never really works despite looking almost exactly like the comics in every scene and following the comics almost word-for-word.

Without the squid, there isn't a story. It's still a great movie, but Snyder missed one of the huge plot points by cutting out the alien invasion stuff and just substituting Dr. Manhattan.
They still did that main conspiracy to prevent WW3 between the US and Russia by sacrificing NYC just without the ridiculous lab grown fake alien squid monster and missing scientists. Making Dr. Manhattan the scapegoat made more sense, in my opinion. The overall story was the same. Unless you had read the comics before going in I think having that extra stuff would have confused people even more.

For me the weakest part of the movie was the unnecessary added jailbreak fightscene. It stood out like a sore thumb.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #33
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
41% RT score and dropping. KEEP HITTING THOSE HOME RUNS!
Audience at 86%?

Real people like this movie, who thought about that?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #34
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Audience at 86%?

Real people like this movie, who thought about that?
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what "people" think. It doesn't matter what you or I think about RT critic scores. Studios like Warner Brothers care.

39%

Meanwhile Thor Ragnarok, Marvel's second tier superhero, is creaming DC's A-list lineup at 92%.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #35
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Quote:
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what "people" think. It doesn't matter what you or I think about RT critic scores. Studios like Warner Brothers care.

39%

Meanwhile Thor Ragnarok, Marvel's second tier superhero, is creaming DC's A-list lineup at 92%.
They care about money. If people like it, they watch it, they pay for it, it makes money, studios like money. Period.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #36
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
They care about money. If people like it, they watch it, they pay for it, it makes money, studios like money. Period.
Rest assured they will milk it dry.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #37
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Seems like they may have milked it dry already.

'Justice League' Is A Box Office Disappointment With $39M Friday

Kapow! China Clobbers $1 Billion Global Hopes For 'Justice League' With $16M Opening Day

Reportedly the movie cost over $300 million to shoot and added marketing costs bringing it to an obscene $700 million. Warner was expecting to make at least $1 billion. Currently Justice League is on track for pulling in half as much as BvS and about equal to the R-rated Logan which cost $97 million for comparison.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #38
Terran
Evil Dead

Box office disappointment one day in? Click bait. We'll know the totals for the weekend when the weekend is over. A shocking concept, I'm sure, but it's hard to add up total ticket sales from days in the future.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #39
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Box office disappointment one day in? Click bait. We'll know the totals for the weekend when the weekend is over. A shocking concept, I'm sure, but it's hard to add up total ticket sales from days in the future.
They are pretty good at predicting weekend totals after Friday. Right now they think it will make $93 Million on a $300 Million budget + another $100+ Million in marketing. It will be a struggle for this movie to even break even unless it does gangbusters numbers overseas.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #40
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's not one day. Opening Weekend now begins 2 or 3 days before the weekend begins in order to maximize the number.

So, their JL totals have been for several days. And since we live in the internet age, they are pretty accurate and quickly amassed.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote