Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 01:20 PM
2 Replies, 190 Views

Old 11-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #21
Syloney
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I hope to see it this upcoming weekend. I enjoyed the first 2 personally, so I am hopeful I will enjoy this one as well.
I'm all for everyone all liking different things, but come on, I keep seeing people saying Thor 3 is the best of all the Thor titles. In what universe is that logic sound, simply because it way hella funny?

I went into movie, not watching a trailer or following any buzz and boy was I disappointed. Right from the bat with Surtur, the movie didn't waste time cranking up the jokes.

To me, the first was in a league of its own, from being grounded with character development, plot, arc-arc synergy etc. In three all that is wasted for laughs.

1. Odin [freaking Mighty ALL FATHER]: like really! Even if following the true Ragnarok script, the possibilities are endless.
2. Dr Strange : The potential for Odin given his vast knowledge to possible hint what an alliance with Dr Strange could bring forth.
3. Valkyrie : To me seemed like a rebelling emo teen, more like chibi teen. I wasn't sold by her performance. How hard would it have been to get an actress with a Towering build (height and gait) to match up with Thor, or possibily even Hulk.

Oh well.. the Stan Lee cameo was funny.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syloney View Post
...boy was I disappointed. Right from the bat with Surtur, the movie didn't waste time cranking up the jokes.
Completely agree. The humor was overdone to the point of ruining the 'steak' with overcooking it. Not many laughs in my theater, either. My daughter was laughing a ton, but not too many others. Overdone.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #23
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Thor was OK. They went a little too far towards the Guardian's of the Galaxy slapstick which, unfortunately is the buffoon setup they've made for Thor since last we saw him, but it was a good movie and I'm glad I saw it. I'm also glad I didn't pay full price. I recommend to others they see it at early show prices too or wait for Blu-ray. I don't think there is much there requiring the vista of a big theater. It didn't strike me as a spectacle.

Justice League was great. I didn't pay full price for it but I would have. If my movie pass gets here soon enough I'm going to go watch it again.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #24
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Thor is in its third (or fourth?) week. Warner had expected $140 million for Justice League's opening. A day earlier they revised it down to $110 million. Thor Ragnarok opened at $116 million. Marvel's second string superhero outperformed DC's A-listers. Think about that. This was supposed to be their Avengers and instead will be remembered as the lowest opening out of all the DCEU movies, and the most expensive.
Yeah, was about to say the very same thing. The movie's troubled production, the bad direction from their bosses it was taking even before they made the film itself and the lackluster efforts of movies that came before sank a lot of the possible profits. It might end up earning more on Blu-Ray as with Batman V Superman, but it is still a damn shame. I didn't see Thor, but that was mainly because I didn't have the time. I like both DC and Marvel and want good comic book movies but DC is sort of souring the market by being bad while Marvel is souring it by over-saturation.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #25
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Like Dune and Alien 3 I think a behind the scenes documentary exploring this mess will be more entertaining than the movie itself. Even more-so if Justice League proves to be the beginning of the end to the big budget superhero movie fad that's been going on seemingly forever.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:06 AM   #26
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I wonder if there was any repercussions on the bottom line from the Ben Affleck sexual harassment virtue signaling backfire.

The part where he came out and condemned the terrible culture in Hollywood which allowed despicable people like Weinstein then someone found a video of him pretty much forcibly going to second base on TV with a young lady presenter?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #27
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Like Dune and Alien 3 I think a behind the scenes documentary exploring this mess will be more entertaining than the movie itself. Even more-so if Justice League proves to be the beginning of the end to the big budget superhero movie fad that's been going on seemingly forever.
I doubt it, the movie is on track to make over $700 Million worldwide. If they had budgeted this like Marvel movies, they would have been fine.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #28
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
It’s not a fad. This is the new normal.

You have to remember, there were always “super hero” movies. All action movies are, in their way, superhero movies. They just weren’t branded as such. All calling a “comic book movie” does is allow them to tap into an existing brand, which is the way marketing is done now.

We may see the costumes change. But the characters and rands are going to be strip mines forever from here on out.
JazGalaxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #29
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Saw Justice League this week, loved it. The humor was not over the top except in a couple of scenes. But, I thought it didn't detract from the whole package. I just hate the villain of the week these movies have.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart