Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 08:44 PM
5 Replies, 385 Views

Old 07-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #21
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
But they will eventually go home, and there is value in potentially using the device on the television.
Buy a regular Switch then.

Quote:
This is why every single Switch commercial you have seen over the past two years has shown the device being used docked and portable. There has not been a single ad that has featured the Switch just docked or just portable.

So they are going against two years worth of advertising and expected hardware use.
Just a hunch but I'll bet Nintendo has a whole slew of new commercials lined up for the Switch Handheld upon release.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #22
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Our switch is almost primarily in handheld mode. Like 95% of the time.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #23
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Buy a regular Switch then.
Already did. At launch. But that does not preclude me from recommending models to friends, particularly if Nintendo plans on releasing an updated (ie better) Switch.

Quote:
Just a hunch but I'll bet Nintendo has a whole slew of new commercials lined up for the Switch Handheld upon release.
Not saying they won't, just saying that the marketing and idea of the Switch was to have something that was both a docked console and a handheld. Making it a handheld device only goes completely against the Switch mentality up to this point, including the sound of the (snap) of the joycons.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #24
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Our switch is almost primarily in handheld mode. Like 95% of the time.
My daughter mostly uses her in handheld mode, though she played most of Zelda on the big screen.

My son's is used about 80% on the big screen.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
It can't even "switch" anymore. Sony should have bought the rights and called it Vita 2.
A 720p handheld is seen as desirable now?
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #26
Primus
Valar Morghulis

I definitely regard my Switch as the next iteration of Gameboy/ DS, with a neat secondary feature of displaying to my TV when warranted (see: pretty much only BotW, or Smash when a few buddies are over). It doesn't really directly compete for my time in the same way my XB1 and PS4 do between each other. This makes sense in my case. If anything I am upset it wasn't an option at launch.

Plus, Pokemon and kids, as a few people have said.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 AM   #27
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
A 720p handheld is seen as desirable now?
Which is not always the case. Some games will do 576p and even lower depending on the demands of a given scene. I honestly pray for anyone who gets this and is excited to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2. That game is horrendous portable.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #28
shadow763
Lord of Woe

At least they fixed the D pad.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 AM   #29
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Which is not always the case. Some games will do 576p and even lower depending on the demands of a given scene. I honestly pray for anyone who gets this and is excited to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2. That game is horrendous portable.
I played XC2 almost entirely in handheld. It wasn't that bad.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #30
Aerol901
Knight

Switch is a pile of junk.
Aerol901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #31
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerol901 View Post
Switch is a pile of junk.
LOLLLL

Spec's alt.

I love the Switch. The ability to take some stellar games on the go, especially as a traveling professional, is the @#%@#% tits. I'm a PC gamer first, but my console of choice is the Switch. It allows me to stay close to my family, even if I want some game time. Can just hang out on the couch besides them, continue to interact, even if I'm fiddling around on a game here and there.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #32
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I played XC2 almost entirely in handheld. It wasn't that bad.
I could barely handle the frame rate dips and loss of resolution during combat while docked, so I pretty much gave up on ever playing the game hand-held, even when I was just trying to farm crystals for blades.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #33
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Honestly, it wasn’t a dig - but I guess more of an acknowledgment that we’ve been through this before. When the Switch launched it was derided as a 720p handheld. Sony is more then capable to launch a PSP2 or Vita2. But their ass got lit twice by Nintendo who was using far inferior hardware. So I dunno, they’re either butthurt or realize that tech isn’t viable in the non-mobile handheld market.

I can’t imagine that any “true” gamer would capitulate and accept a 720p handheld. Hence the question.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #34
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Yeah, this is going to be a weird sell. All of the ads you see for it extol the virtue of the Switch being something that you can play on the television and hand-held and with no-additional cost multi-player.
It's only no additional cost if everybody is sitting next to each other. Want to do it on-line? You gotta pay to play!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #35
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
It's only no additional cost if everybody is sitting next to each other. Want to do it on-line? You gotta pay to play!
It's 19.99 a year. Which comes out to $1.66 a month. I lose more than that in the couch each year.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #36
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
I can’t imagine that any “true” gamer would capitulate and accept a 720p handheld. Hence the question.
Objection! While I'm certainly more of a collector these days and not as hardcore as those kids playing 60 hours of "Fortnite" each week, I would still consider myself a "true" gamer. I play on my trusty Vita all the time, and that's only 540p (albeit OLED, which is probably a plus, and I play a lot of classic/retro games). I think 720p on the Switch looks fine* in most games, and with a more compact screen, I could imagine this lite version being a great system to play on the go. But... only on the go, and that's probably not going to be enough for me to get it. We'll see.

*) I can definitely see a difference between 720p and 1080p on a big screen or with still images on a smartphone, but when playing, I focus more on the movement than on pixels.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #37
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
It's only no additional cost if everybody is sitting next to each other.
That was my point. Since the device was portable, it was easy to bring with you anywhere and engage in local multiplayer mayhem. Now all interested parties will need to have Switches and the game or you need to carry around additional compatible wireless controllers if you want to play multi-player on the screen.

So, for example, you can no longer easily play something like Pokemon: Let's Go Pickachu or Yoshi's Crafted World with a small child or more inexperienced player because you can't rely on helping them out with the second joycon.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #38
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

So far this summer without fail every day I've walked into my living room at least once and seen one of the kids at least playing the switch in handheld mode with the big screen off and unused right next to them.

I don't get that at all, that said, got laid up in the hospital last year with a collapsed lung and playing through Octopath traveler in handheld mode was a godsend. I get the switch, I get the portable only version and if they come out with a tv only version I'll replace the second dock I bought for my room with one.

For the record, PCMR with PS4 being a somewhat distant second and the Switch a solid third way way ahead of the bone.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
It's 19.99 a year. Which comes out to $1.66 a month. I lose more than that in the couch each year.
And now, in addition to paying your couch, you now get to lose an additional $20 a year for ... the ability to play a game you already paid for.

The more we justify handing over money, the easier it becomes for companies to come up with more and more ways to get it. Which is why they keep doing it.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #40
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Objection! While I'm certainly more of a collector these days and not as hardcore as those kids playing 60 hours of "Fortnite" each week, I would still consider myself a "true" gamer. I play on my trusty Vita all the time, and that's only 540p (albeit OLED, which is probably a plus, and I play a lot of classic/retro games). I think 720p on the Switch looks fine* in most games, and with a more compact screen, I could imagine this lite version being a great system to play on the go. But... only on the go, and that's probably not going to be enough for me to get it. We'll see.
HOLD IT!

If you like Switch then you like the Switch. If you've come to accept that the Switch is acceptable or OK, because you realize the market its trying to hit then great. So, perhaps I'm being too meta here - but what I had replied to was calling the "Switch Lite" a 'Vita 2'.

That is, Nintendo can put out whatever they want and Spectral and "true" gamers can shit all over it; point out how "terrible" it is, what it's specs should be instead, how Nintendo is swindling anyone who buys it, holding back the entire portable market, etc whatever.

But, if that's unacceptable for Nintendo to put out then it follows Sony releasing it as a Vita 2 (or PSP2) would be just as unacceptable if not far less acceptable. Ergo, what I'm saying I would be unwilling to believe: would be "true" gamers capitulating and accepting this "Switch Lite" as a 'Vita 2'. I guess I wasn't clear on this in my original post.

Tags
switch lite