Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed...
Last post by Daedalus
Yesterday 05:32 PM
18 Replies, 971 Views

Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Jumanji 2 Roars to a $60 Million Opening Weekend

Sony's Jumanji: The Next Level opened at the top end of industry expectations, leading the weekend charge with a December studio record opening and getting the box office off to a strong start for the holiday frame.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 13th to December 15th, 2019.
  1. Jumanji: The Next Level $60.1/$60.1
  2. Frozen II $19.1/$366.5
  3. Knives Out $9.2/$78.9
  4. Richard Jewell $5.0/$5.0
  5. Black Christmas $4.4/$4.4
  6. Ford v Ferrari $4.1/$98.2
  7. Queen & Slim $3.6/$33.1
  8. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood $3.3/$49.3
  9. Dark Waters $2.0/$8.8
  10. 21 Bridges $1.1/$26.3
  11. Midway $.880/$55.2
  12. Playing with Fire $.670/$43.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I hope it enjoys it's one week at the top before it is crushed by Star Wars.

There's going to be a huge blast radius in box office in the next few weeks. There probably isn't going to be much money for much else until after the New Year but I wouldn't mind seeing Jumanji reach 300 - 400m.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I hope Star Wars bombs...

I have 0 faith it is going to be any good
NACIONAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
blackzc
Evil Dead

Imagine actually going to see a movie in 2019 when you can surf the internet for 2 hours and randomly highlight text with your mouse.

lol, movies are so dumb.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
I hope Star Wars bombs...

I have 0 faith it is going to be any good
I doubt it will be good. Hard to recover after Rian Johnson's massacre. But it's clear people have short memories otherwise "Knives Out" would have bombed.

No one in their right mind would want to see a movie from the director who eviscerated anything good that was left in Star Wars.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I doubt it will be good. Hard to recover after Rian Johnson's massacre. But it's clear people have short memories otherwise "Knives Out" would have bombed.

No one in their right mind would want to see a movie from the director who eviscerated anything good that was left in Star Wars.
I don't think it's short memories. I think it's that people don't care enough about the details. They know Last Jedi sucked but, aside from us geeks, they don't care who directed it. I think most people just know that Disney's Last Jedi sucked, not that Rian Johnson's Last Jedi sucked.

And this one will hit big for a while at least. Solo bombed but this is part of the main saga. All of the signs pointed to Game of Thrones having a crappy ending but we all still tuned in just to see how it ended. We're in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. It won't pull in Force Awakens cash but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if it didn't make its cash back.

And because I'm a hypocrite who wants peace in his family, I'll be seeing it with the wife and kids this Thursday night, even though I'm hearing almost nothing good about it. My son's scout troop has this thing organized where they buy out a section of the theater for the new Star Wars movies and all of the scout families go together. And at this point, I think my wife would be a little pissed if I boycotted the movie.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
timmyd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Imagine actually going to see a movie in 2019 when you can surf the internet for 2 hours and randomly highlight text with your mouse.

lol, movies are so dumb.
Movies are dumb because the people that make them are dumb. And people are dumb for watching them. Finally we get a second chance with the Internet, and the same parasites get between the dummies and the other dummies.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #8
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Jumanji 2 was fun to watch. Kids liked it. I did. Liked the first one as well.

On Star Wars. I love it either way. Yeah TLJ was... something. But I still love watching them on the big screen. Also just out of sheer curiosity I want to see what they do with it. It's like watching a trainwreck.. It's impressive...and horrible at the same time. And who knows maybe some survivors will come out of it and we all cheer! Or maybe it's a complete loss and we are sad for decades to come. EXCITING TIMES!!!

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
Jumanji 2 was fun to watch. Kids liked it. I did. Liked the first one as well.

On Star Wars. I love it either way. Yeah TLJ was... something. But I still love watching them on the big screen. Also just out of sheer curiosity I want to see what they do with it. It's like watching a trainwreck.. It's impressive...and horrible at the same time. And who knows maybe some survivors will come out of it and we all cheer! Or maybe it's a complete loss and we are sad for decades to come. EXCITING TIMES!!!
I will have to go see Jumanji. As for Star Wars, I think this is the last movie for a good number of years and during that hiatus we will see the "retirement" of Kathleen Kennedy.

Good ol' IGOR will give her a golden parachute, pat her on the back and speak words of how great she is (was) as he walks her out.

In true Disney tradition she will probably to be replaced by some Bollywood Studio Manager over here in the US on an H1-B Visa.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I will have to go see Jumanji. As for Star Wars, I think this is the last movie for a good number of years and during that hiatus we will see the "retirement" of Kathleen Kennedy.

Good ol' IGOR will give her a golden parachute, pat her on the back and speak words of how great she is (was) as he walks her out.

In true Disney tradition she will probably to be replaced by some Bollywood Studio Manager over here in the US on an H1-B Visa.
I think that we will see a slowdown in Star Wars movies, but during the same time period we will see an explosion of Star Wars TV shows on Disney+. Now that Mandalorian showed that it can be done, they will flood the channel with new series every few months.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
stalazon
The Dit

I'll wait a couple weeks then buy a ticket for another movie to catch the demise of the current saga.
stalazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I saw Rise of Skywalker last night with my family. I'll give a mini spoiler free review here and let you know where I'm coming from.
I've always been a bit of a Star Wars fan but not obsessed. I had some of the toys and read a few of the books but they were usually gifts. I didn't really seek Star Wars stuff out too much but, again, I was more than a casual fan and far from a nut. I loved episodes 3-6 and I even enjoyed 1-3 even though they were flawed. I thought 7 was very flawed but still enjoyable enough in parts that it didn't feel like a waste of time. Episode 8 was another story. It was one of the few movies where I really tried to like it but about 3/4 of the way through, I realized what a pile of trash it was. My standards for Star Wars movies aren't that high but 8 couldn't really have been more disappointing. I thought Rogue 1 was decent but, aside from Vader, mostly forgettable. My expectations for Solo were rock bottom but my whole family found it flawed but still fun. That brings us to Rise of Skywalker.

My son's scout troop bought a block of 100 tickets so we where there with lots of friends and acquaintances and the mood in the theater was very festive. There were cosplayers walking the theater and they had a local radio station DJ there playing Christmas tunes. Basically, the atmosphere was just right. We were going into the theater in a good mood which helps of course. I read many of the leaks and I've seen many of the bad reviews and I guess I'm glad I did. I don't know if these leaks and bad reviews just lowered my expectations but my family and I had a good time during this movie. That doesn't mean it was great of course. The criticisms are pretty much all valid. I won't get into too many specifics but the movie feels like it's all in fast forward. Everything happens way too fast and way too conveniently and there's a lot that doesn't make sense. It felt like Abrams was trying to fit two movies worth of story and events into one movie. He was definitely trying to fix the damage that 8 did. And while his efforts were far from perfect, I appreciate that he tried to do it. I think a lot of the bad reviews you see out there at least partially stem from the fact that they liked Last Jedi and didn't want someone to attempt to undo it. And others on the opposite side look at this new trilogy as fundamentally flawed and this movie couldn't fix that. And I agree. This series is flawed, very flawed. But we still enjoyed Rise of Skywalker. The theater cheered when the Star Wars logo appeared in the beginning. They cheered when various heroic moments occurred. And they cheered when the movie ended. This was an audience of mostly kids and they loved it. My older son is 13 and he's always considered himself a big Star Wars fan, though what he means by that is that he likes the Legos, some of the games and books, and the Clone Wars TV series. He's never even sat down and watched the movies to completion. He hated 8 because it was boring and I'm sure because I hated it too. But this movie, he liked quite a bit.

Overall, it was not a great movie. Most of you probably won't enjoy it. But I go to these types of movies to have a good time and my family and I certainly did last night.

As a movie, very flawed. As a Star Wars movie, it doesn't live up to the past. As an apology for 8, it was very welcome. As a family night out to have some fun, it did the job.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart