Post something good you...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 07:48 AM
244 Replies, 74,316 Views

Old 01-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

ModDB's Player's Choice List of Top 10 Mods of 2019

ModDB, one of the biggest, if not the biggest video game modding community on the internet, announced top 10 mods of 2019 as voted on by the community.

Quote:
Welcome to the 2019 Mod of the Year results! With top 100 voting having taken place over the last 20 days, the results have now been tallied and we are ready to announce the winners! Below you will find the Top 10 Mods of 2019. While you're at it, you can also check out the Top 10 Indie Games of 2019, or join the site in anticipation for next year's awards to register a mod of your own or vote for those you think deserve recognition in 2020.
I love that some of the games on the list are old, but these mods really add a lot of modern features, not to mention content.

A few years ago Bethesda and Valve made moves to monetize mods; I am glad they didn't manage to succeed at the level they hoped because it might crush a lot of the people and communities who might never get any exposure if they had to be officially sanctioned or vetted in some way.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
RAV
Evil Dead

Sweeet. Yeah, that's the thing with mods, a lot of the stuff I liked just could not have started out as regular product. It often starts out as prototyping, but because it is public from start, you have this greater base of enthusiast testers to figure out what works. So it grows more organic from there, grass roots. Since you didn't sell them anything, people are not mad at you for ripping them off, it's more an atmosphere of creative pioneering together. The cool thing is that through donations/Patreon ect, people can still choose to support financially when necessary, for example to pay a pro contract artist to help out polish some content, etc. I just donated 50$ on a mod, with a vote for a specific new feature. Anyway, the reason this type of development works for modding is, you already got a fully working base as game. Star Citizen could have been a cool mod... not so sure as commercial product...
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Brutal Doom/Project Brutality will always be my favorite. It’s unfair to all mods. However, my favorite new release of 2019 was Hedon. Everything you want from a Hexen-like game is here. The only aspect that may deter people is the art style. It’s a little looser and reminiscent of a comic book, especially NPCs.

Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

The list is ruined by so many titles being from a particular, fervent faction of fans for Empire At War. But the YouTube videos of Doom 2 / Project Brutality are pretty intense. That's one hell of a dedication.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
The list is ruined by so many titles being from a particular, fervent faction of fans for Empire At War. But the YouTube videos of Doom 2 / Project Brutality are pretty intense. That's one hell of a dedication.
You're not wrong, but I will say that Empire At War is a really great game/product. Why there hasn't been a good Star Wars RTS since that game I will never understand, it really makes it a great niche item. If you enjoy RTS games and like Star Wars, this is *the* game for you. That being said I was surprised that so many EaW mods were on that list in comparison with other games. The game is really fun though.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Remember this list is the player's choice. There are some other lists out there including the top 100.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote