Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 07:48 AM
244 Replies, 74,324 Views

Old 01-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sea Of Thieves Is Now Xbox's "Most Successful" New IP Of The Generation

Quote:
We’re excited and humbled to share that Sea of Thieves has now been played by more than ten million players, reinforcing its status as the most successful new IP from Xbox this generation.

It’s mind-blowing to think of that many people setting sail on the Sea of Thieves, and it’s all been made possible by the support and passion of our fantastic community.

For everyone at Rare, the Sea of Thieves community represents the very best of what gaming can be. It’s home to players from more than eighty different countries, bringing together gamers on Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One and Windows 10 PC and creating countless stories and moments that people can treasure. Seeing these stories shared through social media or other community spaces is something that inspires the team every day. To every person who’s played Sea of Thieves, thank you.

Our community will be at the centre of our January update – ‘Legends of the Seas’ – which will be available to all players for free from Wednesday January 15. Not only will this update celebrate our community and its stories, it will also feature two limited-edition gifts to mark our 10 million player milestone. Log-in to the game between January 15 and 22 and claim a free custom sail and a special new emote.

Once again, on behalf of everyone at Rare I’d like to say thank you to everyone who’s been on this journey with us so far. The best news is that we’re just getting started and have big plans for the coming year. See you on the seas!
Xbox Wire.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I don't think I'd call a game with such poor retention as "successful".

It is free from Xbox Game Pass and there are very few people I know of who haven't played it but thanks to several things, particularly griefing, I don't know anyone personally who played it long.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I didn't like it at all, and I'm glad it was on game pass, so I wasn't out 60+ bucks.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I didn't like it at all, and I'm glad it was on game pass, so I wasn't out 60+ bucks.
I wanted to like it, but it was a chore. Without multiple people you couldn't survive for more than a few seconds against another ship and even when you had a full crew, the smaller ships just sailed around you in circles and wore you down.

But, the real problem was that there was only 3 quests and they were all fetch quests. There just wasn't enough to do. After the first week, you couldn't even get a full crew of 4 people together and by the second week, you were lucky if you could find 1 other player to crew your ship and you could go 6 or 8 hours without seeing another ship.

I keep meaning to try it again to see how it's improved. I've got it installed.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Aerol901
Knight

It's a really bad game that relies too much on interaction with others (who are usually assholes).
Aerol901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Has it improved? When I tried it close to launch it was a giant joke. Probably the one thing I agree with Evil on.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Rommel
International Playboy

I remember the jokes about how at release it had 1 quest and nothing else to do except kinda sail around. I assume it's gotten better.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I remember the jokes about how at release it had 1 quest and nothing else to do except kinda sail around. I assume it's gotten better.
I know they added AI skeleton ships, but you still need at least 2 people to control even the smallest ships. I'm sure it isn't bad if you have a buddy to play it with.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #9
Conco
Dread Lord

i just remember loading the game being all excitred n shit and then straight into a fucking jail cell. fuck this game!
Conco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #10
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Me and my friends have been playing this a lot lately. They have added a ton to the game since release. The water mechanics are still top notch, ship to ship combat has gotten much better with the inclusion of the harpoon guns(that can tether your ship to other ships and megalodons) destructible parts of the ship(knocking down an opponents mast, for example) and recently they have added fire that can further damage ships and players alike. This, along with the cursed cannonballs, have exponentially increased the ways a PvE or PvP encounter can go, and make some hilarious and epic moments.

The voyages have gotten better, but are still fetchy-questy. But they have increased the chances of digging up rare chest that add a certain dynamic(chest of sorrows, for example, which will cry periodically and can flood your ship with its tears) and special skeleton encounters for the order of the souls voyages. They also added a new type of quest in the form of the hunters call. Selling fish that you catch, and meat from the megalodon and kraken will increase your reputation with this group. Skeleton ships still roam the seas and can be quite fun to take out. And of course, the revamped skeleton forts. All this, while the looming threat of running into another player can make voyaging around quite engaging and thrilling. There are those who simply seek to attack other players(myself included, on occasion), but if you gitgud, even a sloop can fend off and escape from a galleon.

If you don't have enough time to do some voyaging, the new arena has been a blast. Its basically 5 ships all after a limited amount the treasure chest and trying to sink each other for points. Each round last 24 minutes. Had some amazing moments happen in the arena.

All this being said, the game really thrives when you have some friends to play with. I still enjoy playing solo, and a sloop is small and easy enough for one person to handle, even in combat.

Ohya, and you can buy pets now. I have a monkey, hes pretty cool.

Last edited by HillTribe; 01-09-2020 at 08:12 PM..
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTribe View Post
Me and my friends have been playing this a lot lately. They have added a ton to the game since release. The water mechanics are still top notch, ship to ship combat has gotten much better with the inclusion of the harpoon guns(that can tether your ship to other ships and megalodons) destructible parts of the ship(knocking down an opponents mast, for example) and recently they have added fire that can further damage ships and players alike. This, along with the cursed cannonballs, have exponentially increased the ways a PvE or PvP encounter can go, and make some hilarious and epic moments.

The voyages have gotten better, but are still fetchy-questy. But they have increased the chances of digging up rare chest that add a certain dynamic(chest of sorrows, for example, which will cry periodically and can flood your ship with its tears) and special skeleton encounters for the order of the souls voyages. They also added a new type of quest in the form of the hunters call. Selling fish that you catch, and meat from the megalodon and kraken will increase your reputation with this group. Skeleton ships still roam the seas and can be quite fun to take out. And of course, the revamped skeleton forts. All this, while the looming threat of running into another player can make voyaging around quite engaging and thrilling. There are those who simply seek to attack other players(myself included, on occasion), but if you gitgud, even a sloop can fend off and escape from a galleon.

If you don't have enough time to do some voyaging, the new arena has been a blast. Its basically 5 ships all after a limited amount the treasure chest and trying to sink each other for points. Each round last 24 minutes. Had some amazing moments happen in the arena.

All this being said, the game really thrives when you have some friends to play with. I still enjoy playing solo, and a sloop is small and easy enough for one person to handle, even in combat.

It sounds like they made an MMO *one* component at a time.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #12
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Tried it a few weeks ago, got past the first island area to where you finally get quests I think. Seemed like it was a bar. But the training island area kind of killed it for me already. Uninstalled it.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTribe View Post

Yeah, the game is in a great place right now. Been having a blast. This is one of the the better exclusives and a case study as to why gamepass is awesome.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of thieves