Post something good you...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 07:48 AM
244 Replies, 74,324 Views

Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

1917 Dethrones Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker at the Box Office

Universal's 1917 made the most of strong word of mouth and two Golden Globe wins, topping the weekend box office with ease as it expanded nationwide following two weeks in limited release.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of January 10th to January 12th, 2020.
  1. 1917 $36.5/$39.2
  2. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $15.0/$478.1
  3. Jumanji: The Next Level $14.0/$257.1
  4. Like a Boss $10.0/$10.0
  5. Just Mercy $10.0/$10.4
  6. Little Women $7.6/$74.0
  7. Underwater $7.0/$7.0
  8. Frozen II $5.7/$459.3
  9. Knives Out $5.7/$139.6
  10. Spies in Disguise $5.1/$54.6
  11. Uncut Gems $3.5/$43.4
  12. The Grudge $3.5/$17.9
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

It's safe now to release movies. Star Wars petered out way faster than the last two movies. I seem to remember the previous two dominated well into January.

Happy to see Jumanji still up there. I will probably (finally) go see it next week on a Tuesday special at my local AMC theater.

I guess people have been shamed enough to get, and keep, Little Women in the top 10. After the bitchy producer blamed the Patriarchy for the poor box office performance I had hoped it would die.

This goes triple for the unrepentant director, Rian Johnson, for Knives Out. But my dislike is starting to wane after seeing Rise of Skywalker where most of the worst of his shit was retconned. I like that he tired to do something different but the first movie set up a set of dominoes which needed to be knocked down to keep the trilogy cohesive and he totally fucked it up.

Underwater is a surprise. Unfortunately, one of my greatest fears is drowning to death so I usually stay away from movies where that is something that could happen but, sorry to say, K-Stew looks pretty hot and I haven't seen a great "trapped underwater" movie since the Abyss. Also, it looks like something which looks great on the big screen.

Sad to see The Grudge is struggling. Its just not a movie I think needs to be seen on a big screen. Definitely a watch at home movie for me.

Like a Boss seem funny, but not on the big screen. I found that audience laughter sometimes lasts too long after the punchline and you end up missing the next minute of dialog.

Congrats to 1917! I am happy to see it hit #1 especially after some critics dinged it for a lack of diversity in the cast. In a movie featuring a British mission. In 1917. That's like when they bashed Dunkirk for not having a diverse cast. Hopefully this is a better movie than Dunkirk tho.

It also apparently is a terrible movie for showcasing only one side in a war that they thought "was ambiguous" since there was no great evil (ala Slavery or Nazis) to fight against.

I mean, come on. It was just the invasion of Western Europe and a push against Russia with Germany trying to annex the entire continent and stuff. What's wrong with that?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Knives Out was really good. I wanted to dislike it because Rian Johnson is such a douche, but it's really good. Good is good.

Off to see 1917 in an hour!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I've heard really good things about 1917.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I've heard really good things about 1917.
It was a really decent movie, but the "one shot" thing was a total joke. Between them constantly moving the camera behind the corners of buildings and behind trees and doing black outs they might as well not have bothered at all. I think that trick was done way better in all of Birdman and in the beginning sequence of Revenant than it was done here.

You hardly notice that they were trying for one shot given how much they just black out the screen with some object constantly. It seems like someone had the right idea, but had no idea how to pull it off on the big screen.

The movie itself was good and tense in places, but not nearly enough action for a war movie. If you wait and see this one on video, you didn't miss much.

I didn't want to go see Underwater because it looks like just another B Horror movie and now I kinda wish we had.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Congrats to 1917! I am happy to see it hit #1 especially after some critics dinged it for a lack of diversity in the cast. In a movie featuring a British mission. In 1917. That's like when they bashed Dunkirk for not having a diverse cast. Hopefully this is a better movie than Dunkirk tho.
I think most people here would call me a pinko liberal, or worse. I just saw 1917 with my parents. One of the first things my mom and I talked about when reviewing the movie was that there wouldn’t have been Indian or African troops in territorial army battalions in WW1.

There may be times when comments on diversity are necessary. This is certainly not one of them.

Edit: excellent movie, btw. Worth seeing.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
I think most people here would call me a pinko liberal, or worse. I just saw 1917 with my parents. One of the first things my mom and I talked about when reviewing the movie was that there wouldn’t have been Indian or African troops in territorial army battalions in WW1.

There may be times when comments on diversity are necessary. This is certainly not one of them.

I was thinking the same thing, that it was kinda lame for them to throw people in there just to meet some fictional diversity quota. Didn't hurt the movie at all, but was just unnecessary.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Eats
Developer

This Star Wars movie was awful. I know you guys hated the last one, but I think this was possibly the worst of all Star Wars movies ever.

I would say the Star Wars movies always only make a very limited amount of sense, but this one was just off the rails bananas.

JJ Abrams has this weird obsession with treasure hunts, but holy hell this one was ridiculous.

So the emperor sent this guy to go get his grand daughter and then only gave him a dagger to find his way back to him? And also the dagger only works if you look at the crashed death star at a very specific angle and then go dig the tracker out of the wreckage...? Who made this dagger and like...why? Then the emperor just sends no follow up to retrieve Rey I guess, even though Rey is still on the same planet the entire time.

Also the emperor has been hiding out on this barren planet with the resources to build like 10000 star destroyers and a massive army of I guess hundreds of thousands of troops for an entire generation(?) who are trained to fly star destroyers? Also like....if he has all that why is he allying with Kylo Ren at all, much less giving that child his entire army?

On a side note a massive rebel army showing up at the end was ridiculous and retarded, but even that was topped by them showing a star destroyer being blown up on Endor and I guess every other planet by a secondary full deus ex machina rebel army. But I guess you need a bunch of deus ex machina armies to fight a ridiculous deus ex machina villian who comes completely out of nowhere.

Also never forget about the magical force diad of Rey and Kylo Ren that they mentioned twice and never elaborated on, but it means the emperor can now magically heal or whatever.

It was pretty bad all the somersaults they were doing to undo the second movie, but I wouldn't have cared if they were making a transition to something not terrible. Instead they were transitioning to something much worse.

I didn't really expect it to be a good movie, but it was crazy how bad it was. The second movie was easily much better. But then so was almost any other movie I have seen in the past 10 years.

Last edited by Eats; 01-14-2020 at 12:51 PM..
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:00 AM   #9
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

I didn't want to go see Underwater because it looks like just another B Horror movie and now I kinda wish we had.
I don't know what people are thinking. If you saw the trailer for Underwater, I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you like the film Alien (1979)?

2. Do you like the film Predator (1987)?

3. Do you like the film The Abyss (1989)?

4. Do you like the Michael Crichton book Sphere (1987) or film (1998)?

That's enough for now, but I could go on for an annoyingly long time.

Where are all my peeps who were fascinated by the unknown, especially the deep sea unknown? What about those of us who are over age, I don't know, 35, who grew up with this stuff? It is so disappointing and frankly irritating to see a film, touching all the nerves that have got me excited for 30 years, which cost 60 million or more to make, getting shafted because Disney (satan) bought Fox and decided to throw this movie to the gutter of January.

This is a fun, badass film. You don't even get 5 minutes into the movie before shit hits the fan. I usually don't go see PG-13 films because they have the tendency to be watered down (lol), but this one looked too good to pass up, and I am glad I didn't. The director has been making pretty cool films for a few years now as well. The cast is great, even has a personal favorite of mine, Jessica Henwick, from Game of Thrones and Iron Fist fame. I never watched the Twilight films so I've never cared about that in regards to Kristen Stewart, she is a decent Ripley cipher here. Anyways, if you like any of the films listed above, this is an amalgamation of them all, mixed with H.P. Lovecraft. I will buy this when it comes out for sure. This is another one of those films that we don't get very often, especially nowadays. Even less so in the future.

Ever heard of Cthulhu?

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I don't know what people are thinking. If you saw the trailer for Underwater, I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you like the film Alien (1979)?

2. Do you like the film Predator (1987)?

3. Do you like the film The Abyss (1989)?

4. Do you like the Michael Crichton book Sphere (1987) or film (1998)?

That's enough for now, but I could go on for an annoyingly long time.
We plan to see it this coming Monday as long as it is still playing. It should be since there isn't much to replace it with right now.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #11
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I don't know if any of you doods care, but I really like Underwater and there is one thing that kicked it up a notch; that H.P. Lovecraft shoves his way into your face at one moment.

You'll be watching the film, and then this happens, and you keep watching thinking "Oh snap, shit is getting FING CRAZY!"

Then, if you're even a mild Lovecraft fan, you'll connect the dots and possibly jizz yourself.

Here is an interview with the director, and avoid it when they mention there are spoilers if you value your nads.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I don't know if any of you doods care, but I really like Underwater and there is one thing that kicked it up a notch; that H.P. Lovecraft shoves his way into your face at one moment.
I already said we are going to see it.

Monday at 9:10 AM. That early, we should have the theater to ourselves.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Back from Underwater! Cloverfield! It's a Cloverfield movie!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

This entire post is problematic.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Of all things to talk about. OMG the MOVIE DIDN"T HAVE BROWN PEOPLE IN IT STOP THE PRESSES! People like you are the fucking problem.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Of all things to talk about. OMG the MOVIE DIDN"T HAVE BROWN PEOPLE IN IT STOP THE PRESSES! People like you are the fucking problem.
He and you are on the same side.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

My daughter really enjoyed Underwater. She liked it a lot. I thought it was pretty decent overall, but needed about another 20 minutes of character development and exposition. Normally, you don't need all those moments where characters stop and explain everything, but here a little bit would have gone a long way. Still, we had fun and the monsters were cool.

Cthulhu! Clovie!

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart