New Birds Of Prey Poster...
Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 07:27 PM
10 Replies, 670 Views

Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

METAL JESUS ROCKS!: Retro Rags To Riches

It's strange to consider that, in all likelihood, children born today will look at paper magazines in much the same way we might have idly considered a butter churn during our own pre-adolescence. Yes, while content is being produced at a more breakneck pace than ever, the medium of print has seen a precipitous decline over the past decade as digital delivery has become the new norm.

Not that it's a strictly bad thing; reduced costs, increased convenience, and environmental benefits are all well and good things. But there was a certain joy associated with the monthly ritual of stalking the mailman, then eagerly checking your box to see if the latest iteration of your preferred publication had arrived. And once you had the rag in hand, there was the scouring of every page (advertising included; it was a marketer's wet dream) to digest every bit of information. I'd sometimes read the same article 2 or even 3 times, much the way a cow's dinner moves through multiple stomachs in order to glean the maximum possible nutrition therefrom.

Per his customary practice, the Metal Jesus is giving us a glimpse back to the good ol' days of wanton tree murder with another selection of golden age gamings mags. From vintage Nintendo Power to CGW in its heyday, there's some hardcore nerdstalgia going on here.

And don't even so much as glance at the recycle bin during this week's episode of METAL JESUS ROCKS!. What's one more box in the attic going to hurt?

I remember back when we used to keep a magazine rack hanging beside our toilet; so handy. Maybe I should keep a courtesy iPad in there now? Or.... maybe not.
gzsfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
drakkarim
Evil Dead

Location: in a van under the I-80 bridge, down by the missouri river
nothing will beat the old computer shopper magazines from back in the day, when they used to be as big as some phone books.

anywho, i still use print version of magazines/books exclusively. can't stand digital versions, just no 'fun' to me.
drakkarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
lockwoodx
Photobomber

At one time for a few years this was the only thing you needed as a gamer. The apex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkarim View Post
nothing will beat the old computer shopper magazines from back in the day, when they used to be as big as some phone books.
Lol... Many was the hour I'd spend taking notes and cross-referencing monthly deals in the Computer Shopper in search of the most cost-effective computer upgrade. MAN I loved that publication. Informative, and you could bludgeon someone to death with it if necessary.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I can't tell you how many people told me this weekend: "A video about old magazines?! How lame...until I watched it!"

It's surprisingly how nostalgic flipping through old magazines can be. Plus it's one of the few places to get a true historical perspective on gaming. I'm already planning my next video
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
gzsfrk
Punch, brothers, punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I can't tell you how many people told me this weekend: "A video about old magazines?! How lame...until I watched it!"

It's surprisingly how nostalgic flipping through old magazines can be. Plus it's one of the few places to get a true historical perspective on gaming. I'm already planning my next video
I love old magazines. Definitely glad to see they've become a regular topic for your show. And if you want to branch out, I've got some killer issues of COMPUTE!'s Gazzette and RUN magazine, both focusing on the C64/C128 systems, accessories, and software that I could send a few issues from on loan. (Or do I remember you mentioning that you might have gotten a bunch of the same in the Commodore lot that was donated to you a year or so ago?)

It might be fun to show some of your younger viewers the program listings in the back of the magazines that we used to manually key in when we wanted a new game or app.

I'll bet a lot of the whippersnappers have never even heard of a datasette.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Sayntin
Reaper

olden days

That was first taste at programming, typing in the codes from the back of magazines and playing the games I created. Now I have a career in programming, not games though.
Sayntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Meeks
Evil Dead

I have an aversion to digital magazines that I'm not sure I can explain. Something dampens the enjoyment for me. I've subscribed to boot/Maximum PC and PC Gamer for many years and have no intention of stopping anytime soon.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Great episode! I can't believe how fast it went by as I was immersed in my own memories of those days
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I remember you mentioning that you might have gotten a bunch of the same in the Commodore lot that was donated to you a year or so ago?
I'll have to look through the box again, but I don't think I had anything with programs you type in the back. However I certainly remember owning those as a kid! So damn annoying to type it all in, only to miss a comma in the data statements. Grrrrrr!

I should setup a Craigslist search and start looking for a lot.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
blackzc
Evil Dead

I have EGM's going back to 91 and about 20 nintendo powers from the late 80s early 90s. I liked mags just as much or more than actually playing games but I got out around 95 when EGM hired seanbaby for his horrible segments and the reviews started to be full of smartass comments, i hated it and missed the adults that used to run it. And to this day, talking about the negatives of a game in a classy fashion means you are a sell out.

Looking back next gen was the best mag in the late 90s but for some reason i rarely bought them. Prolly cuz i was super pissed about how EGM turned out. That shit took up my time haha.

Tags
magazines, metal jesus, metal jesus rocks, nintendo power, retro, video