7 Replies, 466 Views
Sega DREAMCAST w/ $800...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:37 AM
14 Replies, 585 Views

Old 08-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

George R.R. Martin Says HBO’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Ending Won’t Influence Future Novels

Quote:
Geroge R.R. Martin is sticking to his original plan when it comes to the future of “Game of Thrones.”

In an interview with The Observer, Martin claimed that HBO’s controversial ending for the series would have no affect on the endings of the last two novels. “No, it doesn’t. It doesn’t change anything at all,” he said. “You can’t please everybody, so you’ve got to please yourself.”

Although Martin refrained from giving his stance on the online vitriol surrounding the series’ finale (“I took myself out of all that,” he said), Martin did vaguely address some of the fan theories at the heart of the conversation.

“Some of [the theories] are right and some of [the theories] are wrong,” he said. “They’ll find out when I finish.”

Martin also opened up about life after HBO, a change that actually made writing more difficult.

“I don’t think [the TV series] was very good for me,” he said. “The very thing that should have speeded me up actually slowed me down. Every day I sat down to write and even if I had a good day … I’d feel terrible because I’d be thinking: ‘My God, I have to finish the book. I’ve only written four pages when I should have written 40.’”
Variety.

I have been saying for months that Martin would look at how the ending of the TV show crashed and burned with fans and he wouldn't make the same mistakes. It looks like he is starting to try to distance himself from the terrible show writers.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Grumsh
Evil Dead

I am a cynic, I freely admit it, I still surmise he let HBO show him how not to end the show to help him with the writers slump he was/is in.
Writing sucks, it's why we have so few good writers. It's tons of pressure to survive fan onslaught. Sadly the people who have the self worth to ignore personal attacks and vitriol are also people who suck at writing.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumsh View Post
I am a cynic, I freely admit it, I still surmise he let HBO show him how not to end the show to help him with the writers slump he was/is in.
I think he was just smart enough to look at what happened with the show and learn from it. There is no way that I would ever end my book the same way that show ended. Word would get out fast that the book sucked and you would lose a ton of sales.

Compare that to ending the book different... where everyone will want to buy your book to read the "new" ending.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think he was just smart enough to look at what happened with the show and learn from it. There is no way that I would ever end my book the same way that show ended. Word would get out fast that the book sucked and you would lose a ton of sales.

Compare that to ending the book different... where everyone will want to buy your book to read the "new" ending.
True, plus this way he creates some extra goodwill with fans.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumsh View Post
True, plus this way he creates some extra goodwill with fans.
We are assuming he will finish the books. Not that I'm saying he is going to die, but he writes so slow now that we are talking about the last book coming out in 10 - 12 years.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

He's not going to finish the series let alone even the next book. I'd be surprised if he has the ability to finish anything at this point beyond the meal currently in front of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I doubt his mind is able to tackle such an ambitious project so late in life.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

He's been working on the most recent book for nearly a decade. Consider: they made nearly the entire TV show in the time since he released the last book.

Winter is still not scheduled to come out this calendar year and likely won't be out next calendar year and there is at least one, if not two books after that.

Writers block is one thing, GRRM has rich man's block. He has so much money he's too distracted from what he should be doing. At this point he should just hire some talented no-name his publisher finds for him to ghost writer the books, pay them $20m and then edit them like he did with Wild Cards then release them under his own name.

The publisher surely gets no end of submissions from talented "almost good enough" authors who would fit the bill.

Look who James Patterson does it. The publisher finds a good crime author, has Patterson read their book, give some "Mentor" advice and maybe write a few chapters, then release it as a new "James Patterson" novel with "(New Writer)" and launches that writers career. Except in this case the person would be paid to go into a hole and not say a word and die rich.

Then GRRM can go and do his super elite version of the Hugo's where only the Woke people can attend and vote.

Win-win-win.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

They already do that last bit about the Hugo’s. Every year he gives out some fake awards to The woke people he thought should have won.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I think most serious people doubt his ability to finish the series, but to hear him in the news with statements like this actually gives me hope.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:56 AM   #11
Juan
Evil Dead

While the show did a pretty terrible job of showing the finale, GRRM still consulted on the plot and told them what happens. He can't now say that isn't what happens...well he can but it means he screwed over HBO.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
While the show did a pretty terrible job of showing the finale, GRRM still consulted on the plot and told them what happens. He can't now say that isn't what happens...well he can but it means he screwed over HBO.
As I said when the finale aired, that is exactly what he can do now. As an author, I would totally do something different from the show both to give people something "new" to read and also to give the big middle finger to anyone who thinks that I'm somehow tied into whatever the show guys did.

The show is the show, the books are the books.

Given that the entire premise of Game of Thrones is "Lord of the Rings only the good guys lose." it would be totally in-character for Martin to write a new ending just to throw people off.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Given that the entire premise of Game of Thrones is "Lord of the Rings only the good guys lose." it would be totally in-character for Martin to write a new ending just to throw people off.

But that isn't the premise of GOT. The theme of the story is that everyone is a shade of grey, black and white doesn't really exist in the world. Well that's what i take from it.

I'm sure he will write a new ending but it's a pretty shitty way to knife HBO in the back after they handed over all that cash.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I wish when I was sitting next to him, shaking his hand, and getting autographs back in 2006 that I would have yelled at him to finish the damn series before he got famous!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
They already do that last bit about the Hugo’s. Every year he gives out some fake awards to The woke people he thought should have won.
Does not the Woke already own the system? so did not know about GRRM's "awards"

2019 hugo was The Calculating Stars, by Mary Robinette Kowal
Kowal is a romance writer who thought there was a actual dark side of the moon and her premise was that water vapor would not be re-absorbed after a asteroid strike on the Atlantic coast.

And even to be nominated for the Hugo I think you had to be a femme.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
Does not the Woke already own the system? so did not know about GRRM's "awards"

2019 hugo was The Calculating Stars, by Mary Robinette Kowal
Kowal is a romance writer who thought there was a actual dark side of the moon and her premise was that water vapor would not be re-absorbed after a asteroid strike on the Atlantic coast.

And even to be nominated for the Hugo I think you had to be a femme.
Sad and Rabid Puppies had a shot there for a while, showing how fixed the Hugo's were. How there were slates even if there were no official slates.

I thought it was telling how one year "no award" showed up as the "winner" in multiple categories rather than the cognoscenti voting for something nominated from the Sad or Rabid Puppies slates.

I think that was the year after the book about the girl with the Dinosaur Boyfriend won the big award.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I wish when I was sitting next to him, shaking his hand, and getting autographs back in 2006 that I would have yelled at him to finish the damn series before he got famous!
I wish you'd removed the chicken bone from his throat and given him CPR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #18
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I wish you'd removed the chicken bone from his throat and given him CPR.
Are we still talking about George R.R Martin or did we shift to Gabe Newell?
Sensei-X is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones