5 Replies, 142 Views
Gearbox Co-Founder and...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 07:58 PM
17 Replies, 914 Views

Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Is EA working on a Knights of the Old Republic Remake?

Quote:
According to one, the previously mentioned Knights of the Old Republic remake is back in development. My other source added to that saying they felt it wasn’t so much a remake, but a “sequel” of sorts. It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining.

Considering the wealth of material from KOTOR that has already been reintroduced to the canon, this doesn’t seem like it’d be a big stretch to make it work. Unfortunately, that’s about all the details I have right now on this project. So it seems like the original remake has made a return in some form and being retooled.

I’ve heard EA has a BUNCH of Star Wars projects in various stages of work at this point. From Jedi: Fallen Order sequels, the Project Luminous tie-in, to something on the Switch, there’s a lot going on. From what I’m hearing, it really sounds like EA has found their groove with the Star Wars license. Unfortunately, I DON’T know about timing on any of these, but I’m digging and hoping to have fresh updates soon. E3 could bring some big reveals, but there’s also a chance they do their own “Star Wars Event” reveal for some of the stuff they’re working on.
Cinelinx.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

CLEAR!

Is KOTOR Online still going?
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
CLEAR!

Is KOTOR Online still going?
It is still going actually. And still has plenty of players. Hoping this is true, Also hoping someone better than the current Bioware develops it.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
NESter the Unlikely
Dread Lord

Quote:
... would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon.
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #5
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I loved those games back in the day, but I don't feel they have aged well.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I loved those games back in the day, but I don't feel they have aged well.
I tried to replay them somewhat recently, and no they haven't aged well at all.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

I think anyone around to play the games when they first came out has aged out of the gaming demographic willing to sit through extensive dialog trees and turn-based, D&D-style combat.

KOTOR is *pre-Mass Effect.* I still have love for that setting based on what KOTOR Online did with it ( <3 Imperial Spy) because it was Star Wars without the crap with some nice MMO trappings, but KOTOR as an IP doesn't hold up well against Mass Effect, ME3 ending drama and the disastrous Andromeda aside.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
I think anyone around to play the games when they first came out has aged out of the gaming demographic willing to sit through extensive dialog trees and turn-based, D&D-style combat.

KOTOR is *pre-Mass Effect.* I still have love for that setting based on what KOTOR Online did with it ( <3 Imperial Spy) because it was Star Wars without the crap with some nice MMO trappings, but KOTOR as an IP doesn't hold up well against Mass Effect, ME3 ending drama and the disastrous Andromeda aside.
For me, it's not so much the gameplay. Those early 3d engine games just look terrible.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

And what's wrong with dialog heavy rpg's? Having less time means it just takes longer for a play through. The factor people are talking about when they say they haven't aged well are the visuals in that early iteration of Bioware's 3d engine are extremely dated at this point. At least the Kotor's and titles like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate before it had stories that didn't suck ass at the end. Basically the old Bioware had talent in that regard, not so much now.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Nothing, objectively. Wasn't my point. If you still like it, great.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nothing, objectively. Wasn't my point. If you still like it, great.
Except that you made it sound like D&D Based turned based combat was some bad thing. It wasn't then, it still isn't.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #12
RAV
Evil Dead

Oh man, I don't know how I feel about the dice rolls though. As a table top game it didn't bother me so much, but as a PC game, it somehow always annoyed me, since sheer luck had too much an impact. In parts it was so ridiculous, I joked they might have skipped combat altogether, and just made you roll a dice for once to determine victory.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Oh man, I don't know how I feel about the dice rolls though. As a table top game it didn't bother me so much, but as a PC game, it somehow always annoyed me, since sheer luck had too much an impact. In parts it was so ridiculous, I joked they might have skipped combat altogether, and just made you roll a dice for once to determine victory.
Turn based combat in any game is dice rolls, that's what the entire thing is based off of. Don't get me wrong I play plenty of games with real time combat, hell giving Anthem a shot now off a 5 dollar EA Access 1 month purchase now that EA Access is on PS4 for example, and the combat is fun, shame there doesn't seem to be a whole hell of a lot to do in the game but the combat is solid.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #14
RAV
Evil Dead

Hrm, I prefer it more like chess, where you know exactly what each move does, and it's about who got the better moves. Doesn't actually have to be like chess. But it would be about finding the right sequence of actions and targets. You know what each spell does once you cast it, but which spell to cast on which monster, in which sequence, etc is the problem. I would accept a small random variance, to spice it up a little, like a fireball spell has a small variance of damage, or a curse has a small variance in strength or length, but roughly you know what you are getting, and it's about placement and timing in the use.

Chess is another funny example. That damn game is so old we don't even really know how to date it. And throughout the millennia the innovation was more in the strategies within the game, not changing the game. People tried all kinds of things innovating the game with gimmicks, but nothing catches on. It's just not needed. The game's fine. It's about your playstyle within these rules.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #15
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

KOTOR2 with mods looks and runs great. They should focus on repackaging Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. They “work” but if you want them to not be shit, especially Jedi Knight and MotS, you have to download like 50 unofficial patches and mods then tweak dozens of values.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #16
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Turn based combat in any game is dice rolls, that's what the entire thing is based off of.
RNG based off a computer with a continuous number generator & rounding and RNG based off discrete number generators (dice rolls, as an example) are not equivalent. Equivocating is abstraction to the point of obfuscation. Was KOTOR using a d20 or a d100? What's the significance on making most combat systems based off a 1/20 increment percentile? That's getting into some design philosophy.

KOTOR shows its D&D roots from Bioware's earlier titles. Again, my point was not about the systems in and of itself, but of someone's tastes changing from 17 years of experiencing other titles and styles, also implying that game design trends have moved far away from that style, with Mass Effect being the in-house example.

I was at PAX this year, tabletop gaming and D&D are still going strong for people of all ages. I view those fans as a niche / minority. If you still like it, great. But I don't think you could sell a game using that system *today* and expect to achieve the kind of sales figures that EA wants to achieve.

It'd be like making a live-action Batman TV show but styling like the Adam West series from the 60s (actually, they did that as a Direct-To-Video cartoon). I am sure there are still fans of that series alive today, and they'd watch it, but most people would be turned off or find it silly, a nostalgic curiosity at best. Anyone unfamiliar with it would more likely than not find it bizarre and unapproachable. Or worth turning into memes on Reddit.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
It'd be like making a live-action Batman TV show but styling like the Adam West series from the 60s (actually, they did that as a Direct-To-Video cartoon). I am sure there are still fans of that series alive today, and they'd watch it, but most people would be turned off or find it silly, a nostalgic curiosity at best. Anyone unfamiliar with it would more likely than not find it bizarre and unapproachable. Or worth turning into memes on Reddit.

That's exactly backwards though. The style of the show would be the visuals, the premise of the show would be the game play. The style of the Adam West Batman was 60's camp. The premise was a fun superhero show that didn't take itself serious.

If you updated the visuals, 60's camp to a more modern style, but kept the same premise, fun superhero show that didn't take itself serious, you'd get something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor: Ragnarok.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

Bioware is incapable of telling a quality story these days, and incapable of designing a good single player game without GAAS bullshit. I'd go so far as to say they're incapable of remaking something that worked without ruining both it's story and its gameplay.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
RNG based off a computer with a continuous number generator & rounding and RNG based off discrete number generators (dice rolls, as an example) are not equivalent. Equivocating is abstraction to the point of obfuscation. Was KOTOR using a d20 or a d100? What's the significance on making most combat systems based off a 1/20 increment percentile? That's getting into some design philosophy.

KOTOR shows its D&D roots from Bioware's earlier titles. Again, my point was not about the systems in and of itself, but of someone's tastes changing from 17 years of experiencing other titles and styles, also implying that game design trends have moved far away from that style, with Mass Effect being the in-house example.

I was at PAX this year, tabletop gaming and D&D are still going strong for people of all ages. I view those fans as a niche / minority. If you still like it, great. But I don't think you could sell a game using that system *today* and expect to achieve the kind of sales figures that EA wants to achieve.

Every turn based game, BioWare made or not uses the same system. That's what the genre is. I'm not sure why you're trying to equate turn based combat and real time combat as the same thing. They aren't. They're two totally different genres.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #20
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Think this is more about a nerve I touched than anything. I don't like D&D. Happy?

Tags
old republic, star wars