Last post by ElektroDragon
Yesterday 09:19 AM
5 Replies, 423 Views

Old 02-06-2020, 05:50 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Man Who Destroyed Gears of War Sets Sights on Diablo

Quote:
Gears of War chief Rod Fergusson has left Microsoft to join Blizzard as the new head of Diablo.

Fergusson, who has worked on the Gears of War franchice for 15 years save a stint at Irrational to close out the development of BioShock Infinite, said: "now it's time for a new adventure."

He leaves Gears developer The Coalition after last year's launch of mobile spin-off Gears Pop!, mainline game Gears 5 and ahead of the launch of strategy spin-off Gears Tactics, which is due out in April 2020.
EuroGamer.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

All I'm going to say is if social justice concerns are NOT a part of the new Diablo I'm not a buyer.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
Kushana
Death Knight

I take it Evil is not a fan of Gears 5?
Kushana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
All I'm going to say is if social justice concerns are NOT a part of the new Diablo I'm not a buyer.
Oh man, that's perfect. A Woke Diablo game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushana View Post
They should have stopped after 3.

Blizzard lost everyone who might have been a part of its early success. As a former employee, it is a shame to see it as a husk of its former, prestige-brand self after Colossal Fuckup #3, but the industry has changed for everyone since 2002.

Diablo 3 was supposed to have eSports. Blizzard desperately wants eSports to be a hit, and it's not going to be when monetizing the whales with microtransactions are where the money is at; creating desirable ancillary products around their eSports offerings does not appear to be a sustainable market. You should have seen how much they were charging for the merch at the Blizzard Arena store in Burbank. If this new Diablo is another crack at that, fuck. Just make an updated Diablo 2.

Rod was involved with Gears 1 - 3, so it's not all bad. If Blizzard wanted to recruit top talent, they couldn't have found a better guy, Gears 4 & 5 aside. It was probably because Gears 6 was going to be the next project that he bailed.

However, bringing this guy on feels like the games industry can only shuffle people around the industry because no other talent can be brought up -- the track doesn't exist anymore. There's certainly no one left at Blizzard. It's all indies and AAA's. It's not like there's an equivalent of a small-to-mid-sized film director like Rian Johnson being handed Star Wars or someone making a mid-budget film like Joker that does gangbusters at the box office.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Dude, don't even joke about this. Some moron will read it someday and take it as proof to support their agenda to woke-ify Diablo!

At best this will result in a storyline about how a demon has enslaved a whole race and its your duty to free them. At worse..... *shudder*

Well in light of this news, all I ask is PLEASE NO GUNS AND COVER MECHANICS IN MY DIABLO! Thx.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Thing is the at most modern game and movie studios the people "in charge" are never truly in charge. They just get the title because at some point they had clout from previous projects, and the studio needs a scapegoat in case shit goes sideways. That way the executives who make the real decisions get to keep their job, and the angry, foaming at the mouth fanboys are appeased and believe that real change is coming or at very least possible (Star Wars I'm looking at you) when the person "in charge" leaves.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Thing is the at most modern game and movie studios the people "in charge" are never truly in charge. They just get the title because at some point they had clout from previous projects, and the studio needs a scapegoat in case shit goes sideways. That way the executives who make the real decisions get to keep their job, and the angry, foaming at the mouth fanboys are appeased and believe that real change is coming or at very least possible (Star Wars I'm looking at you) when the person "in charge" leaves.
Ahh so just like the restaurant business, haha.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

I for one can't wait to see how they make identity politics a focal point of Diablo 4. Should be the final nail in Blizzard's long downward spiral.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #9
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
... and ahead of the launch of strategy spin-off Gears Tactics, which is due out in April 2020.
Wait, wait, wait: There is a Gears tactics title coming? Why have I never thought of that? Everything about Gears is perfect for an "XCOM" clone! I'm serious - the game is all about using (mid and high) cover and employing flanking tactics against ever-growing hordes of various (mostly humanoid) aliens.

I'm not saying it'll be a huge commercial hit, because I do see the difference between the original and the required target audience, but, man: An XCOM game in the Gears universe, with visuals and tech by the original Unreal Engine guys, as well as some added features like sliding into cover or shooting while running? Yes, I'd play that!
Old 02-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #10
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Wait, wait, wait: There is a Gears tactics title coming? Why have I never thought of that? Everything about Gears is perfect for an "XCOM" clone! I'm serious - the game is all about using (mid and high) cover and employing flanking tactics against ever-growing hordes of various (mostly humanoid) aliens.

I'm not saying it'll be a huge commercial hit, because I do see the difference between the original and the required target audience, but, man: An XCOM game in the Gears universe, with visuals and tech by the original Unreal Engine guys, as well as some added features like sliding into cover or shooting while running? Yes, I'd play that!
There is a terrible Gears of War board game, building a turn-based Gears Tactics wouldn't be much of a stretch from that.

Though I don't know why any game developer would do that. Turn-based games are nothing but shite.

They should get the dev team doing Doom Eternal to make a new Diablo game. Clone them in a vat. Buy them out with Blizzard Bucks. I don't care how. That's the dev team that is honoring the legacy of games of old while bringing them into the modern era.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushana View Post
I think the last two Gears of War titles were pretty average. They didn't do anything new at all and the enemies and level designs were pretty drab.

I wouldn't mind them changing up the main character for a woman if they rest of the game was just mind-bogglingly cool.

Since both those games were average at best, it really stands out when they try to shoehorn in some identity politics garbage.

I honestly think the best thing for the franchise would be to reboot. Go back to young Marcus and young Dom and do what I said -- cool enemies and great level designs.

Sometimes you don't have to do anything "new" you just have to do something well.

A good example of that would be Days Gone. It isn't really groundbreaking, but it does everything so well that it didn't need to be groundbreaking.

Getting rid of Big Gay Al is probably what Gears needs.

Hilariously, CliffyB was on twitter a few days ago trying to get his old job back. LOL.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Everyone is shoe-horning in identity politics garbage. Take X franchise, switch lead character, rinse, repeat. Ma-rey Sue-walker. Script quality is sloppy to begin with because of how rushed these projects are to make this years' release as part of the 20-year master plan.

But the question is if it's more noticeable now BECAUSE all these games were majority male leads (except for Tomb Raider) and now it's something like 80/20 from 99/1 or if its a concerted, coordinated effort across the creative industry to make everything woke. Projection by people noticing this change and grousing about it in public could be just as much a factor at signal boosting this idea, something that is definitely going on with EvAv.

I remember when games with character creators adding female options was a huge deal. Games used to not to do it because of the extreme cost involved (essentially doubling content work), so market factors had a huge role to play in making games for men by men rising to the top.

Echoing that Days Gone did it so fucking right.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #13
Apex
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
There is a terrible Gears of War board game, building a turn-based Gears Tactics wouldn't be much of a stretch from that.

Though I don't know why any game developer would do that. Turn-based games are nothing but shite.

They should get the dev team doing Doom Eternal to make a new Diablo game. Clone them in a vat. Buy them out with Blizzard Bucks. I don't care how. That's the dev team that is honoring the legacy of games of old while bringing them into the modern era.
I worked on Gears Tactics for almost 3 years at Splash Damage (It's Splash's title).

Gears Tactics Trailer
Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
RAV
Evil Dead

it's primarily a problem of how atrocious the characters and stories are. But there is a relation in that. The people at work are mostly driven by the believe that they have to correct an injustice, not to make cool characters. They see some statistics about male leads, and believe this is a problem. And this is all they have in their head while creating. There is not much else. Their entire idea world, the only themes they got, consist of sexism and racism, and about priviliges and social critiques. They have nothing else to tell in how humans relate to each other, the deep themes that have moved people through the ages. They are not in it to show a cool animation. They just do this to project their message. So their characters know nothing but class struggle. They also have no real sense for art and style. In art you work with contrasts, light and dark, warm and cold, complementary colours, detail differences, and such. Similar in music. And when you write your story, you also work with contrasts in character and such. If every single character is just this tough badass competitor, you don't really have much to work with. That's why gender roles work so well, you got contrasts to play with. And then on occasion you can even turn it around a bit to spice it up. However, just saying "my reds now identify as cold colors, and my blues as warm colors", usually doesn't have that great results. it can be interesting once in a while, but if you overdo that it's just confusing and disturbing. You know which attributes and qualities are primarily tied to what, and there is good reasons for that, it makes sense. The best works are those that use these intrinsic principles to create depth.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Damn fine analysis. Uncharted, Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Days Gone. Maybe new Tomb Raider. Those are all about I can come up with for fully-formed female characters -- and I think it has a lot to do where these games aren't male power fantasies, but narrative and mechanic driven experiences.

Even beloved Mass Effect hews a bit too close to dream girls (the Asari are practically an entire species of them) -- games with Can Do No Wrong main protagonists rather than one perspective in a larger, messy world.

I don't see Blizzard being artistic the way RAV lays out or what you might find in a great novel. They are far too invested in their wanna-be Disney/Pixar comic book roots thanks to Metzen and crew. Besides, their games are for upper-class and comfortably middle-class parents & kids. High-quality aesthetics and zero substance that do not challenge you on any level the way a comedian punching up would.

Apex, no knock against Tactics or your work. I was a Gears fan up to 3 and done after that. Splash Damage is a great studio. But the Gears board game was pretty bad.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #16
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
and I think it has a lot to do where these games aren't male power fantasies, but narrative and mechanic driven experiences..
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
However, bringing this guy on feels like the games industry can only shuffle people around the industry because no other talent can be brought up -- the track doesn't exist anymore. There's certainly no one left at Blizzard. It's all indies and AAA's. It's not like there's an equivalent of a small-to-mid-sized film director like Rian Johnson being handed Star Wars or someone making a mid-budget film like Joker that does gangbusters at the box office.
That's part of the reason Microsoft and Sony has been acquiring so many "AA" studios lately. They looked for years and years to try and find a studio like Ensemble or Digital Anvil, the diamonds in the rough, but they just weren't around in the early 2010s.

Now there are finally a few around and are snapping them up, hoping to mine them for not to maybe, just maybe be able to grow a AAA studio out of a AAA studio ala Bungie (y'all are lying to yourself if you think Bungie was anything but a great AA studio prior to Microsoft's infusion of tens of millions on Halo franchise games) or at least find talent.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I worked on Gears Tactics for almost 3 years at Splash Damage (It's Splash's title).

Gears Tactics Trailer
That trailer is great, they should have let you guys make the last Gears game.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Bitches about identity politics, makes a point to claim games are better because no male lead in same breath. As if that matters a single iota.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
That's part of the reason Microsoft and Sony has been acquiring so many "AA" studios lately. They looked for years and years to try and find a studio like Ensemble or Digital Anvil, the diamonds in the rough, but they just weren't around in the early 2010s.

Now there are finally a few around and are snapping them up, hoping to mine them for not to maybe, just maybe be able to grow a AAA studio out of a AAA studio ala Bungie (y'all are lying to yourself if you think Bungie was anything but a great AA studio prior to Microsoft's infusion of tens of millions on Halo franchise games) or at least find talent.
Sure but look at what MS did to both Ensemble and Digital Anvil. Hell look at what Electronic Arts has done for decades to studios after they get the IP they want, Origin, Westwood, Bioware, the list goes on and on or Activision once Vivendi exited the industry, Sierra, Blizzard, etc etc.

It won't be long before we see Obsidian closed, of this I have no doubt, who in my mind are very AA despite the years of experience and titles under their belt. Their problem is they always ship buggy messes which often have half the game cut out during development (KOTOR 2, NWN2 as a couple examples)

Tags
big gay al, diablo 4, gears of war, the coalition