The Walking Dead Season...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Yesterday 10:30 AM
8 Replies, 836 Views

Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Black Panther Tops Box Office for 5th Straight Weekend

Not since Avatar has a box-office hit had the kind of staying power of Black Panther. Ryan Cooglerís comic-book sensation on Sunday became the first film since James Cameronís 2009 smash to top the weekend box office five straight weekends.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 16th to March 18th, 2018.
  1. Black Panther $27.0/$605.4
  2. Tomb Raider $23.5/$23.5
  3. I Can Only Imagine $17.0/$17.0
  4. A Wrinkle in Time $16.5/$61.0
  5. Love, Simon $11.5/$11.5
  6. Game Night $5.5/$54.1
  7. Peter Rabbit $5.2/$102.4
  8. Strangers: Prey at Night $4.8/$18.6
  9. Red Sparrow $4.4/$39.5
  10. Death Wish $3.3/$29.9
  11. Annihilation $1.7/$29.5
  12. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle $1.6/$400.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #2
Meeks
Evil Dead

I have yet to see it. Still planning to go though!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

I saw Black panther un theatres last night... It was a very good and entertaining movie.. very well done in my opinion!

I also saw Annihilation yesterday morning too, in Netflix!!.. it is available here in Colombia (I don't know if that is The case un the US)... I liked it too, it has some holes But the whole is a very entertaining movie, good visuals and suspense.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Saw Black Panther for the second time this weekend, also saw Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider was very meh.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I finally got to see Black Panther last week. I thought it was equal parts brilliant and excessively problematic.

My biggest problem was with the way the magic in Dr Strange felt more scientific than the Science in Black Panther. I think anime does a great job of showing futuristic tech that looks like something that actually has a basis in how science actually works. Weird baubles that heal any malady just feels like silly magic. And the scene where Killmonger and TíChalla are punching it out in invincible suits while falling 1000 feet and taking no damage felt like a near-dealbreaker.

But I thought there was a lot about the film that was fantastic. I love that they allowed TíChalla To be a thoughtful and measured person. Some reviewers seem to take that as a flaw, but I see it as a massive strength. Not all Marvel heroes can or should be Zip Zappity Tony Stark analogues. Some characters need to have different qualities. It will really pay off when Panther shares screen time with Spider-Man or Starlord. I really liked the way the film was melodramatic in a positive way. The score announced its heroes and villains like a great 80s film. When Killmonger takes the throne, it FEELS wrong and menacing. The way the camera spins from upside down and the way the soundtrack blares menacing tones does an amazing job of making you feel unease and fear st Killmonger reign. The script felt extremely smart, tacking smart concepts in a light and breezy way.

I felt like nearly all the comedy fell flat. Like Dr Strange, I feel like the comedy was on paper, but that the actors couldnít bring it to life because of their fake accents ruining comedic timing. (Cumberbatch is hilarious in Sherlock. Heís wooden and has muddy timing as Strange)
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
And the scene where Killmonger and TíChalla are punching it out in invincible suits while falling 1000 feet and taking no damage felt like a near-dealbreaker.
This is always an issue I have with these kind of films: consistency of power. In two previous cases were see the Black Panther get knocked down just by hitting a solid object (Killmonger shoots him with a grenade launcher and he slams against a wall; he is slams against a rock during the final fight sequence) and yet they can fall hundreds of feet without so much as being hurt or having to take a little time to recover.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
MavenACTG
Death Knight

Any chance it going six for six? It would be interesting to see this film break a record Avatar once held.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Any chance it going six for six? It would be interesting to see this film break a record Avatar once held.
Pacific Rim could knock it down a slot; both films appeal to the same crowd and one of 'em isn't six weeks old.

I'm not saying it definitely will, but it's the only movie that's come out in the past six weeks that actually has a shot.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Took my daughter to see A Wrinkle In Time for catching up on her reading level at school. Man, that was a crappy movie.

The visuals were fantanstic, but the dialogue was atrocious, the actors were bad and the plot was all over the place.

My daughter says to me during the movie, "Dad, I don't know what's going on."

"me either"
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Took my daughter to see A Wrinkle In Time for catching up on her reading level at school. Man, that was a crappy movie.

The visuals were fantanstic, but the dialogue was atrocious, the actors were bad and the plot was all over the place.

My daughter says to me during the movie, "Dad, I don't know what's going on."

"me either"
I remember reading A Wrinkle In Time as a kid and loving it. I reread it not that many years ago and was a little bored by it. Both times, I couldnít really remember what it was about a year after reading it.

I. Curious why itís considered a classic. Itís no Ronald Dahl book, or anything.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
timmyd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I remember reading A Wrinkle In Time as a kid and loving it. I reread it not that many years ago and was a little bored by it. Both times, I couldnít really remember what it was about a year after reading it.

I. Curious why itís considered a classic. Itís no Ronald Dahl book, or anything.
It was really bland compared to other science fiction at the time. Plus the "know-it-all-kids" repeated that stupid folding analogy too many times.

And why couldn't Encyclopedia Brown get attacked by a facehugger? That would be some quality science fiction.

And have the Hardy boys seduced and corrupted by crack whores.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Watched Annihilation over the weekend. It's not the greatest recent scifi movie like so many were making it out to be and it's definitely not bad or left me confused. Seemed somewhat straightforward with mixed in nonlinear storytelling showing how much of a scumbag Natalie Portman's character was to her doomed husband. If you liked Tarkovsky's Stalker you will probably really enjoy Annihilation. It was like a combination of that, Gareth Edwards' Monsters, and some DNA from The Thing. Or a not terrible smaller budget Prometheus. The setting, premise, and every shot was beautiful. Some of the creatures were creepy as fuck. The main characters were across the board very bland. Thankfully it moved along at a good pace I was fully engaged.

A single potentially major plothole stuck out for me and that was how when anyone goes inside the Shimmer zone they can't send or receive radio signals with the outside world. Why didn't they think to drag a telegraph or cable line behind them? Was this explained and I missed it?
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
A single potentially major plothole stuck out for me and that was how when anyone goes inside the Shimmer zone they can't send or receive radio signals with the outside world. Why didn't they think to drag a telegraph or cable line behind them? Was this explained and I missed it?
I don't remember them saying whether they tried that or not. They did say that no one had returned, until her boyfriend, so I'd think they're first test would have been for someone to enter and then immediately come back out. It seems when you enter you lose 3 days though. That's what happened to her party, so I guess people would be far enough in by then, that the cord wouldn't have reached or would have been tangled in under brush.

I too don't get the confusing ending reaction this films been getting, I found it all pretty straight forward, and don't consider myself some kind of super genius.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #14
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
I saw Black panther un theatres last night... It was a very good and entertaining movie.. very well done in my opinion!

I also saw Annihilation yesterday morning too, in Netflix!!.. it is available here in Colombia (I don't know if that is The case un the US)... I liked it too, it has some holes But the whole is a very entertaining movie, good visuals and suspense.
Ya they have 'Annihilation on Netflix in the states, I watched it last night. Easily the worst movie I have seen in at least 6 months. So boring and it has more holes than the streets in Miami.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #15
Eats
Developer

I didn't think annihilation was meant to be taken very literally.

Like it did have a plot that could be understood in a literal sense mostly, but it seemed a lot more like a metaphor about the nature of man to self destruct and what drives that self destruction. The purpose of the shimmer was more that it is an unknown suicide mission, and why would anyone undertake such a mission in self annihilation. Which if you think about it is 85% of what the movie, dialogue, and character development was about.

If you are focusing heavily on the literal plot then of course it is full of holes because that is not really the point...

It reminded me a lot of the pilgrimage in the book Hyperion.

There is a pretty good analysis on annihilation here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/a...ding-explained
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:26 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I didn't think annihilation was meant to be taken very literally.
As a movie Annihilation clocks in at medicore on almost every level. Dialog, acting, sound design, CGI, "plot" (as in it doesn't explain it).

There's room for "smart movies" but this one forces a lot of leaps of logic and understanding within a few seconds with little or no time to process. It's a shit movie unless you watch it more than once (and it's not good enough for that) or have read the book.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #17
Eats
Developer

It didn't blow my mind but it was much better than cloverfield paradox and Life, and I guess it is the best sci fi movie so far this year, though it doesn't really have much competition yet.

People seemed to like it alright: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/annihilation

I liked it more than Arrival.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #18
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I was just thinking about the Hyperion cantos series and Bradley Cooper's proposed adaptation for the Syfy Channel. Well apparently Dan Simmons isn't too pleased with Cooper's lack of writing ability setting the whole project back a couple more years. The first book was kind of a chore to read setting up the character backgrounds and not reaching a conclusion until The Fall of Hyperion. Books 3 and 4 seemed more epic in scope and better served as their own mini series.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart