Anthem has Gone Gold
Last post by BalekFekete
Today 04:45 AM
7 Replies, 254 Views

Old 12-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Aquaman Splashes Down at the Box Office

Aquaman made waves at the box office, pulling in $72 million on opening weekend and bringing the worldwide total to a whale-sized $415 million.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 21st to December 23rd, 2018.
  1. Aquaman $67.4/$72.7
  2. Mary Poppins Returns $23.5/$32.3
  3. Bumblebee $21.6/$21.6
  4. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $16.6/$64.7
  5. The Mule $9.7/$35.4
  6. Dr. Seuss' The Grinch $8.5/$253.5
  7. Second Act $6.4/$6.4
  8. Ralph Breaks the Internet $4.7/$162.1
  9. Welcome to Marwen $2.3/$2.3
  10. Mary Queen of Scots $2.2/$3.5
  11. The Favourite $2.0/$10.1
  12. Bohemian Rhapsody $1.9/$184.7
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

If you saw Black Panther then you saw Aquaman, think of it as Wet Panther.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

We enjoyed it well enough, but I thought it was a little bland. James Wan is also addicted to having Patrick Wilson in everything and Wilson just isn't that great of an actor. The movie could have really benefited from having a decent villain.

Black Manta is good for his one on-screen fight scene, he should have been the central conflict for sure.

They could have skipped the whole origin story and gone right for the Manta vs Aquaman conflict the whole movie and been better off for it.

It had some great CGI scenes for sure and Jason Moma is a blast to watch on screen.

I think overall, I would rather watch Batman v Superman again. Once you have seen Aquaman once, you don't need to see it ever again.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Aquaman was excellent. But I agree about Wilson. Very cool HP Lovecraft reference in the intro scene!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausFlouride View Post
If you saw Black Panther then you saw Aquaman, think of it as Wet Panther.
I found Black Panther to be really, REALLY boring. While watching Aquaman I quickly realised that I was actually watching 1+1 love stories with the background being laser beams and action.

Aquaman - Liked it. Will watch again. (I like love stories)
Black Panther - Really, really boring. Nearly as boring as Wonder Woman.

P.s. Aquaman needed some origin as the general public have no idea who he is. Spiderman, on the other hand, should NEVER need another origin story for 50 years.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Aquaman was excellent. But I agree about Wilson. Very cool HP Lovecraft reference in the intro scene!
Ha, you noticed that too? I loved that.

Really liked the movie. Had no idea what to expect, but it was really cool. I saw it in IMAX 3D. Hadn't seen a 3D movie in ages because they usually suck, but I found that this one was pretty good in that regard also. The ending felt rushed, but at almost 2 1/2 hours I was actually fine with it.

There were some definite cheesy scenes or lines, but overall it was tons of fun to watch. Will buy in 4K.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Meeks
Evil Dead

I was torn between Aquaman and Bumblebee and ultimately opted for Bumblebee which ended up being a great little "80s" movie. Probably catch Aquaman this weekend.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
That was neat, but I thought it was an odd choice of the Dunwich Horror instead of Call of Cthulhu, which was closer to the monster at the end, though the trench people are pretty close to The Shadow over Innsmouth.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Mary Poppins was fun... But I'd never want to watch it again unless I had kids.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
I was torn between Aquaman and Bumblebee and ultimately opted for Bumblebee which ended up being a great little "80s" movie. Probably catch Aquaman this weekend.
I've heard from a lot of people that Bumblebee is pretty good, but sadly it won't do very well at the box office because Michael Bay's series of shitty-ass Transformers movies killed any goodwill fans of the Transformers cartoons might have had.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I fell asleep in Aquaman (more about having 1 hour of sleep in 72 hours than the movie) but I saw the first 3/4 of the movie and I liked what I did see.

I don't think the comparison to Black Panther was correct, it is it's own movie.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

We went to see Into the Spider-Verse today, it was pretty good. It's a little on the simplistic side, so it's certainly a kids movie first and the kids in the audience really liked it, though I don't think they got any of the Raimi Spider-Man movie references.

It also kinda heavily relies on the fact that you know who Gwen Stacy is... another thing I'm not sure the kids in the audience would get because she wasn't even in the most recent film. I guess there was a character named Gwen Stacy in the new film, but she looked nothing like the character in Spider-Verse.

Still, we had a great time and I think I liked the movie better than Aquaman. There is a lot to be said for movies that don't take themselves too seriously. Super-serious works for super hero films like Watchmen or Batman (or Batman v Superman) and super silly also works. That in-between area like Infinity War or Aquaman just doesn't work that great.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Watched Bumblebee today... How generic could the film be?! I felt zero connection to the young girl and, once again, far too much human time. Who was the main bad guy/robot? The faceless blue and red Decepticons? The army guy? Nope. No depth with the robots, once again, being secondary characters to humans. Would prefer to watch Short Circuit 3.

Loved the Cybertron scenes and Soundwave's voice. I'm a G1 fan through and through and none of the TF films have been any good. But removing my bias they're okay. Popcorn films. Explosions. Zero depth at all. Throw away robots.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I saw Aquaman with our extended crew of 14 or so. It was an IMAX showing which probably helped because I thought the visuals were great. We all enjoyed the movie quite a bit. The story was safe but it was fun and the casting worked.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart