Microtransactions in...
Last post by Mozain
Today 11:11 AM
34 Replies, 2,271 Views
» Promotion

Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA Shuts Down Visceral, Shifting Development On Its Star Wars Action-Adventure Game

Electronics Arts has shut down Dead Space developer Visceral Games. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Electronic Arts has announced that it is closing the doors of Visceral Games, the studio best known for the Dead Space series. The developer had been working on a new Star Wars game, which will now shift directions and move to a different EA team.

"Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe," said Patrick Soderlund, executive VP of EA worldwide studios, in a post on EA's website. "In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

The untitled project will now be developed by EA Vancouver, which had already been working on the game. Soderlund says it will "maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore."
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Best of luck to the people who worked at Visceral.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

EA's theme song.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Methos
Savior of Boleteria

Fuck EA. Again. A single-player adventure game in the SW universe is what I would want to play. Now it will no doubt be some bastard SP/MP combination with loot boxes and a "game as a service" mantra. Fuck EA.

At least devs like Larian, Stardock, CD Projekt RED, and Obsidian are around.
Methos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post
Fuck EA. Again. A single-player adventure game in the SW universe is what I would want to play. Now it will no doubt be some bastard SP/MP combination with loot boxes and a "game as a service" mantra. Fuck EA.

Well said. The only reason those loot crates exist is cause people keep buying them.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos View Post

And Monolith. Yes, OK, they have pointless loot crates. BUT you can tell they are pointless and tacked on just to appease some executive at WB. Their games are still SOLID single player storytelling with original and optional online components. This is a crime EA has committed and Disney should consider giving the Star Wars rights to Monolith. CD Projekt RED are the only other ones who could handle it but they are already hard at work on their OWN story driven sci-fi epic.

Seriously, Amy Henning should be filing sexual discrimination suits against EA at this point. This is just a crime against gaming.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Also someone needs to make Loot Crate: The Game as a parody at this point because it is WAY more damaging to this medium than achievements/trophies ever were.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
And Monolith. Yes, OK, they have pointless loot crates. BUT you can tell they are pointless and tacked on just to appease some executive at WB. Their games are still SOLID single player storytelling with original and optional online components. This is a crime EA has committed and Disney should consider giving the Star Wars rights to Monolith. CD Projekt RED are the only other ones who could handle it but they are already hard at work on their OWN story driven sci-fi epic.

Seriously, Amy Henning should be filing sexual discrimination suits against EA at this point. This is just a crime against gaming.
I doubt they'd ever hand the Star Wars game license over to Warner Bros; they're the company that owns Monolith.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Bummer, this game was the only EA game I was looking forward too.

Come on Disney let obsidian make Kotor 3.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Star Wars is going to end up biting EA in the ass. Star Wars is just not a good IP to make a video game with.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This is a shame. I've been waiting for a more introspective style SW game to come around. I credit Deadspace for getting me back into console gaming a long time ago... except for that fucking asteroid shooting sequence.

Last edited by vallor; 10-17-2017 at 09:41 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Star Wars is going to end up biting EA in the ass. Star Wars is just not a good IP to make a video game with.
Whaaaat?! That's the craziest thing I've read in a long time - Star Wars is a fantastic IP for video games. It's been a fantastic IP for, oh, about 40 years now.

Now, that's not saying that we got 40 years of great Star Wars games. Hell no! But there have been some sweet sweet games from that IP, more good than bad.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #13
Cranium
Dread Lord

Yeah, that was my first thought as well - not enough echonomic sink-holes in the game design. Sucks to see that the Dead Space developer bit the dust, but in all honesty the only Star Wars games that ever excited me were the original Star Wars arcade game, Dark Forces (I and II) and Tie Fighter. Its a bloated and hollow setting for me, most of the time.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
It's only 8:15 in the morning, but I have a feeling this will end up being the most incorrect statement I'll read all day.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #15
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's only 8:15 in the morning, but I have a feeling this will end up being the most incorrect statement I'll read all day.
I'm not betting against that...
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #16
shadow763
Lord of Woe

This news is a bummer. I did enjoy most of the Dead Space games, and was hoping for something else good from Visceral.

Looking at their gaming history they have actually been around for kind of awhile. I didn't like most of what they did.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Too bad. I mean it was sort of expected with how EA treats studios, but still.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #18
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Considering the amount of games created using the license, the percentage of actual good games would indicate he is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_video_games
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Considering the amount of games created using the license, the percentage of actual good games would indicate he is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs_video_games
Sure, there have been a lot of garbage Star Wars games over the years. The good ones are, however, pretty damn good.

It's a great IP that can certainly be translated into excellent video games. Unfortunately, it was also farmed out for shovelware tie-ins. The shitty games don't negate games like the the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series, Rogue Squadron, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic, the (original) Battlefront series. Hell, even games like Star Wars Racer were pretty damn good.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

Kinda sounds like they're trying to avoid another Mass Effect Andromeda. Poor response from testers and a game project that's been in development for a few years now with little to no public presence. DICE will have dropped two Battlefront titles in the same timeline, and Visceral still wasn't ready to show more than a tiny clip we saw last year. I've been bringing the project up for ages whenever anyone mentions Star Wars games, but I've been expecting to hear it's been dropped for awhile. Shame that it took Visceral with it.

Have people comparing losing Visceral to losing studios like Westwood or Maxis, but we should keep in mind they were EA Redwood until Dead Space came out. They've never not been a core EA studio. I am getting flashbacks to Disney shutting down Lucasarts while they were developing Star Wars 1313 though. Still using concept art from that game as wallpapers on my phone.

Quote:
Come on Disney let Obsidian make Kotor 3.
I like their writers, but don't think I've ever played an Obsidian game that wasn't either an isometric/2D RPG or a colossally buggy half-finished mess. KotOR II was most of a game. Would've been great if they shipped it with the second half of the story included. I'm still angry about the ending of Alpha Protocol--which a lot of people never saw on account of all the bugs--and F:NV barely even runs on PC without a modded exe.

Now if they partnered their creative team with another team who actually knew how to build a game, I'd be open to it.

Tags
ea games, star wars, visceral games