Last post by alienchild
Today 04:12 AM
7 Replies, 612 Views

Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

SHAZAM! - Official Teaser Trailer

Quote:
David F. Sandberg (“Annabelle: Creation”) directs New Line Cinema’s “Shazam!,” the origin story that stars Zachary Levi (TV’s “Chuck”) as the titular DC Super Hero, along with Asher Angel (TV’s “Andi Mack”) as Billy Batson, and Mark Strong (the “Kingsman” movies) in the role of Super-Villain Dr. Thaddeus Sivana. Peter Safran (upcoming “Aquaman,” “The Conjuring” and “Annabelle” films) serves as the film’s producer.

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Looks pretty bad, but I never really had much hope with the huge miscasting of the lead.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

They definitely miscast the lead. He's great, but not for this role.

As far as the film, they appear to be going for the middle school boy demographic and hitting it right on the money. They'll love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Ugh, they should've just gone for the gusto and cast Adam Sandler as Shazam.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Looks pretty generic. A re-telling of "Big" without anyone in the cast that we could possibly care about.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Looks pretty generic. A re-telling of "Big" without anyone in the cast that we could possibly care about.
That was exactly what I said earlier today. It looks like Big without any recognizable or memorable actors.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
subroc
Dread Lord

I dunno, looks good to me. And I generally dislike the DCEU movies. Hope they can come up with a decent plot!
subroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Of all the upcoming DC films, this one was the biggest question mark for me. Now that I've seen this trailer, I am pretty impressed. Looks funny, fun, and a cool mix of Big and Superman. I think Zachary Levi is a great pic for the role, he's underrated and a fun actor to watch. Remember when he hosted the Game Awards a few years ago?

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #9
Blackwing
Slacker

I see they are going with the Ant-Man approach to this. May go see it in theaters.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #10
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

When your superhero movie has a hero that looks like he's Adam Sandler, you're in trouble.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I know nearly nothing about Shazam but he always looked like he was supposed to be a classic throwback hero. That's what I was expecting at least. I don't like that he's basically a clown.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #12
NightRain
Evil Dead

I actually enjoyed the trailer and will 100% watch this movie even though it looks like it is a made for TV series rather than a feature film. That might be exactly what DC needs though since their TV series tend to be pretty good.

I think it looked better than the Aquaman trailer.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Of all the upcoming DC films, this one was the biggest question mark for me. Now that I've seen this trailer, I am pretty impressed. Looks funny, fun, and a cool mix of Big and Superman. I think Zachary Levi is a great pic for the role, he's underrated and a fun actor to watch. Remember when he hosted the Game Awards a few years ago?
I agree with this, but I've always considered him more TV than Big Screen but I think he'll do good in this role.

I've seen a lot of heat on how Shazam acts in this trailer, even here people saying he is like a clown. I think a lot of people aren't super familiar with this hero or something. In my experience he has always been kid in a adult body, just like Big as you mentioned. He tries to act the part and can usually fool people for a short while but anyone who gets to know him often perceive him as a clown or odd, or childlike. It's part of the charm and could make this a funny movie if done right.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I dunno...it got a couple chuckles out of me. Shazam/Captain Marvel was always a kid who could transform into an adult body when his power's activated, so nothing about this really feels off. The post-Crisis version of the character retained the personality of Billy Batson after he transformed, so what we've got in the movie is essentially what we would have had since the 80's.

The, "Oh, hey. 'Sup. I'm a superhero." bit is exactly the sort of shit a teenaged kid who just got amazing powers would probably say.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Well these subsequent posts have explained Shazam a lot more. I guess I was looking for a very vintage sort of Superman and I was just way off. Am I alone in wanting something like that, a sort of live action take on the old Max Fleischer Superman cartoons?
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well these subsequent posts have explained Shazam a lot more. I guess I was looking for a very vintage sort of Superman and I was just way off. Am I alone in wanting something like that, a sort of live action take on the old Max Fleischer Superman cartoons?
That's basically what a Golden Age-type take would have been, but the character was changed pretty dramatically back during the aftermath of Crisis on Infinite Earths, then again in New 52 (where he was comprised of multiple kids, sorta like Captain Planet).

The post-Crisis version of Shazam was very much a kid walking around in an adult body with incredible powers. He'd often try to act like an adult/Golden Age-type hero...but people would typically see right through it and know something was off.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Oh. Shazam. I came in here thinking Kazaam.

Disappoint. Not interested.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #18
RAV
Dread Lord

Mildly amused.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc comics, shazam, shazam!