8 Replies, 342 Views
See Rockstar's Wild West...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 02:10 PM
32 Replies, 1,541 Views

Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Blizzard suspends Blitzchung from Hearthstone Competition for supporting Hong Kong

Quote:
The Chinese censorship news seems to keep bubbling up more and more to the surface of mainstream consciousness, if not in the political field at least under the column of media entertainment. The latest controversy to arise surrounding the Communist antics of the mainland is that Blizzard Entertainment has suspended the Hong Kong player, Ng “blitzchung” Wai Chung, for making pro-Hong Kong comments during a post-game interview during the Asia Pacific Hearthstone Grandmasters tournament.

Basically, even listening to someone publicly proclaim their support for the Hong Kong protestors in their fight for freedom can literally cost you your job.

As Breslau pointed out, the two casters hid under the desk when blitzchung yelled out “Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!”

They giggled at the outburst but didn’t further politicize the moment. Blizzard, however, removed the VOD from their Twitch channel, and then followed that up by suspending blitzchung and firing the casters.

This comes shortly on the heels of China banning South Park for criticizing their censorship policies, and for pointing out how the NBA and Hollywood have been bending the knee to the Chinese State party.
Via OneAngryGamer

Quote:
Since Blizzard's decision to ban Ng Wai "blitzchung" Chung for a year after proclaiming support for Hong Kong's liberation movement during an official stream, many online have criticized the company's decision. The r/Hearthstone subreddit is filled with accounts of fans expressing support for Chung and those who say they're quitting the game in solidarity.
The r/Blizzard subreddit has even been locked down, presumably in response to the heated discussions that are occurring within the community. The subreddit is currently an invite-only subreddit, and is inaccessible for the time being.
Via IGN

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The rules were broken, he'll have to suck it up. I thank him for his sacrifice.
After all, down in section 6 of the 3 point font document they throw up it CLEARLY says:

Quote:
Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.
Emphasis mine.

So better not leave your mic on while making cow farting noises. It could trigger some Eco-nut who has pull at Blizzard.

I hope someone picks him up but, lets face it, no one wants to go against our $ino-overlords. Too much money to lose!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Yea they must've figured that any backlash would be a marginal loss of profits to pissing off China. Still very disappointing.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Meeks
Evil Dead

Activision-Blizzard, like the NBA, demonstrates strong moral flexibility when one of their revenue streams is at risk.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

I will never play a Blizzard game again.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoMike101 View Post
I will never play a Blizzard game again.
and then they announce diablo 4 and all is forgiven.

of course this blizzcon better have that announcement followed by the "You can play it next week" or people are going to shit all over them
Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
VideoMike101
Dread Lord

Divine Destiny is better.
VideoMike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
and then they announce diablo 4 and all is forgiven.
Maybe he doesn't have a phone!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #9
Rommel
International Playboy

I'll just be here, in Cheung Sha Wan, being very, very quiet but staring intently. And which side of the issue I fall on is up to you.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Kong kong.

I love near hong kong.

And they should be ashamed of themselves for being racist bastards.

They continue to say they aren't "chinese" yet they are by DNA and blood.

They continue to ask for help from other places, yet, when they come to the west, they are the first to cry racism and change the local culture to their own rather than embracing the new culture.

No, I don't think it's ok to send people from my country who are called "racist" and "scum" and "selfish" to go fight and die for a country full of people that will cry the same thing in a few generations of setting foot on our soil.

I think it's time for my own people to fight and die in a civil war and win back their country.

And that's how I feel about that.

No, I'm not Chinese.

Besides the point, if we're going to start getting morality and honor again, Korea should be on the radar for "saving" not hong kong.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 AM   #11
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Oh hey, another good reason not to play Blizzard games.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #12
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

This is a super complicated topic. But it's gross. I have been really looking forward to the new Call of Duty, for the first time in many years. Some friends I have are now boycotting Activision/Blizzard, and I can't blame them. I haven't decided what I'll do in that regard, but if I do buy more of their products I will feel some shame, as things currently stand. That is a new situation to consider for me. We'll see where it leads. But overall this feels gross and shameful for Blizzard.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
Chief Smash
Subscriber

It goes to show that all of the virtue signaling that these companies do only happens when there's no real cost. The second there's a real and substantial cost to whatever banner they're flying today, that banner comes down and comes down quick.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #14
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I'll just be here, in Cheung Sha Wan, being very, very quiet but staring intently. And which side of the issue I fall on is up to you.
I've already given it some thought and I picture your face covered in a mask, sitting near an open window at night looking at the protests far down below in the street. Tears are drying on your face and your energy is spent for the day, comfortable in your efforts to combat the eventual takeover, saying to yourself, "I did something".

I wonder if it's just a fantastical dream or if you really don't care.

*you've been awfully silent
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
Kong kong.

I love near hong kong.

And they should be ashamed of themselves for being racist bastards.

They continue to say they aren't "chinese" yet they are by DNA and blood.

They continue to ask for help from other places, yet, when they come to the west, they are the first to cry racism and change the local culture to their own rather than embracing the new culture.

No, I don't think it's ok to send people from my country who are called "racist" and "scum" and "selfish" to go fight and die for a country full of people that will cry the same thing in a few generations of setting foot on our soil.

I think it's time for my own people to fight and die in a civil war and win back their country.

And that's how I feel about that.

No, I'm not Chinese.

Besides the point, if we're going to start getting morality and honor again, Korea should be on the radar for "saving" not hong kong.
What in the holy fuck are you saying? Honestly, I am not criticizing you, I simply don't understand what you are saying.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #16
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
This is a super complicated topic. But it's gross. I have been really looking forward to the new Call of Duty, for the first time in many years. Some friends I have are now boycotting Activision/Blizzard, and I can't blame them. I haven't decided what I'll do in that regard, but if I do buy more of their products I will feel some shame, as things currently stand. That is a new situation to consider for me. We'll see where it leads. But overall this feels gross and shameful for Blizzard.
A few people I know mentioned the whole boycotting thing, and then they were silent when I pointed out that the reason this happened was because of the 5% ownership of ActiBlizz by Tencent Holdings LLC (they were also responsible for banning the NBA broadcasts in China) and that they in fact own 5% of Ubisoft, 29% of Funcom, 100% of Riot Games, 40% of Epic Games and by extension the Epic Game Store so if they were trying to make a credible statement deleting Hearthstone was not enough. I haven't heard anything since, guess giving up League of Legends, and the EGS lower prices and free games are where they draw the line.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I think it’s hilarious. Part of me wants to say grow up and get a real job.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #18
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Death Knight

Chinese government can chock on a bag of dicks the organ harvesting protestor shooting human shit piles and I have give money to support the movement to keep HK free from human garbage that is CCP Chinese government
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #19
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
What in the holy fuck are you saying? Honestly, I am not criticizing you, I simply don't understand what you are saying.
I've been living abroad more or less for 6 years.

in that time, I've seen a culture that prioritizes its own people and culture, and its worked out well for them.

Now it's time for Hong Kong to accept its identity as part of china, and stop living on borrowed power from other countries, they are chinese, and hong kong is part of china.

So many people from china, and hong kong, come to America and start to replace the local people, the signs the restaurants the culture.

yet here they are screaming "we aren't chinese save us, give us western freedom and culture"

And I'm sick of the twisted double standards.

So I'm saying let hong kong return to their rightful owners and people.

they need to stop begging westerners to sacrifices western lives to save them.

Because in the end, they'd replace us while calling us racist and taking advantage of our local laws to benefit their people while sacrifices ours.

I'm saying ones own people should come first before you save the rest of the world, and virtue signaling won't save your soul or your people.

Living abroad makes you more immune to koolaid than the average person, for better or worse.

And no insult taken, even if you are criticizing, it's the internet, I've got chainmail for skin
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
I've been living abroad more or less for 6 years.

in that time, I've seen a culture that prioritizes its own people and culture, and its worked out well for them.

Now it's time for Hong Kong to accept its identity as part of china, and stop living on borrowed power from other countries, they are chinese, and hong kong is part of china.

So many people from china, and hong kong, come to America and start to replace the local people, the signs the restaurants the culture.

yet here they are screaming "we aren't chinese save us, give us western freedom and culture"

And I'm sick of the twisted double standards.

So I'm saying let hong kong return to their rightful owners and people.

they need to stop begging westerners to sacrifices western lives to save them.

Because in the end, they'd replace us while calling us racist and taking advantage of our local laws to benefit their people while sacrifices ours.

I'm saying ones own people should come first before you save the rest of the world, and virtue signaling won't save your soul or your people.

Living abroad makes you more immune to koolaid than the average person, for better or worse.

And no insult taken, even if you are criticizing, it's the internet, I've got chainmail for skin
Get bent dude! It's not about that it about not wanting to be under the thumb of god awful CCP government. The guys that lock up religious minority's like falun gong or Weger Muslim's in "reeducation" AKA concentration camps. They even harvest organs from this people for fuck sakes. I have give money to help them fight these human shit piles in the Chinese government you can go right to hell dude.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...i3.4h2zQHRYjwY

Last edited by Sir_Smokes_Alot; 10-09-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote