Last post by brandonjclark
Yesterday 08:16 PM
12 Replies, 641 Views

Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #4181
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
This is great, it really is. Now that you've agreed that "Why are we hearing crickets from Eats?" is correct, who do you think the sound of crickets is coming from in the sentence?
Honestly, that is still a somewhat awkward construction but at least it isn't wrong. It works better as something like "Why are we hearing crickets from the Yankees on this issue". When it is referring to the silence of a group of people or an organization it is less strange.

The sentence shouldn't be literally saying a person is making cricket noises. The idea is that the group/person is silent so all you can hear are crickets...

Not "The Yankees are making cricket noises about this issue"

Last edited by Eats; 04-15-2019 at 12:16 AM..
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 AM   #4182
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

It's funny how you can tell when someone, desperate to win an argument, is at that point where they're trying really hard to convince themselves that they've been right all along.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #4183
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
Honestly, that is still a somewhat awkward construction but at least it isn't wrong. It works better as something like "Why are we hearing crickets from the Yankees on this issue". When it is referring to the silence of a group of people or an organization it is less strange.
Honestly seems like a poor word choice for you to have made here. There is nothing strange about the use of a commonly understood idiom. Keep digging.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran
Quote:
*crickets*
The sound Eats makes when someone is raped at a party he is attending.
I make cricket noises? You are so dumb your insults donít even make sense.
Even your "better" example has people making cricket noises. You know, what you claimed was dumb.

Quote:
The sentence shouldn't be literally saying a person is making cricket noises. The idea is that the group/person is silent so all you can hear are crickets...

Not "The Yankees are making cricket noises about this issue"
Literally is also a poor word choice for you to have made, as you've already stated that statements stating a group is literally making cricket sounds were correct. If you wanted to try and parse Terran's comment in such a manner, you shouldn't have used such a basis for your criticism.

Lets look at the sentence that you supplied which you determined was even better than the example you had previously stated was correct:
"Why are we hearing crickets from the Yankees on this issue".
The above sentence literally states that the Yankees are making cricket noises. Lets break it down for you, in hopes you can climb past your reading comprehension problem.
In the sentence, "we" are hearing something. Since the word hearing is utilized, a reader should know that in this context it indicates a sound or sounds.
What are "we" hearing? Crickets. This indicates to the reader that the sound of crickets is being made.
Where are these cricket sounds coming from? According to the sentence, it's coming from the Yankees. Therefore, per the sentence, the Yankees are the source of the cricket sounds.
That leaves "on the issue." Apparently, if taken literally, the Yankees decided to make cricket noises in regard to an issue.

You see, the sentence you provided is literally saying that a group is making cricket noises. If someone were ignorant enough to take such a statement literally, they'd make the same argument you made about Terran's statement.

There seem to be two choices here for you, Eats:
1) You are willfully ignorant and absolutely disingenuous.
2) You really are just that stupid.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #4184
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
There is nothing strange about the use of a commonly understood idiom.
It was raining cats and dogs across the South yesterday. I'm sure Eats placed an emergency call to PETA.

lololol.
Quote:
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #4185
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It was raining cats and dogs across the South yesterday. I'm sure Eats placed an emergency call to PETA.

lololol.
I guess that depends if he has the same policy of silence towards this as he does towards women being gang-raped.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #4186
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Can we first establish why people use the sound of Cricket chirping to indicate silence?

Crickets only chirp when there is otherwise silence. They chirp to indicate their position as part of mating and will stop chirping when there is any other noise because the last thing they want to do is chirp and lead a predator to their position.

That’s why the sound of crickets indicates the silence coming from the opposition. If crickets are making sounds it means the opposition is not making any sound because (metaphorically) they have no rebuttal to make or they are ignoring the issue.

You people are arguing a semantic point and have been since Eats decided he was going to get all grammar Nazi on it. Now it has just gotten to the realm of stupidity on all sides and it just needs to stop so we can make fun of him for his ideas, of which there is plenty of material, instead of continually beating this dead horse.

Christ on a pogo stick!
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #4187
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Can we first establish why people use the sound of Cricket chirping to indicate silence?

Crickets only chirp when there is otherwise silence. They chirp to indicate their position as part of mating and will stop chirping when there is any other noise because the last thing they want to do is chirp and lead a predator to their position.

Thatís why the sound of crickets indicates the silence coming from the opposition. If crickets are making sounds it means the opposition is not making any sound because (metaphorically) they have no rebuttal to make or they are ignoring the issue.

You people are arguing a semantic point and have been since Eats decided he was going to get all grammar Nazi on it. Now it has just gotten to the realm of stupidity on all sides and it just needs to stop so we can make fun of him for his ideas, of which there is plenty of material, instead of continually beating this dead horse.

Christ on a pogo stick!
Like not knowing full well by what Obama meant by "I'll have more flexibility after the election" even with full context by those far smarter than Eats as to what he was referring to for example.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #4188
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
You people? Obligatory #ThatsRACIST /sarc

This is a gaming website's off-topic, who cares how stupid these arguments are? Eats proclaimed that he had attended events in which he knew that women were being drugged and raped and he did nothing because he thought it'd bolster his stance against a SCOTUS nominee in a gaming site's off-topic thread. It doesn't get dumber than that.

Also, the semantics aren't the point: Eats' own hypocrisy (his "better" correct version has a group making cricket noises if taken literally -- exactly what he complained about), his inability or unwillingness to confront these issues, and how obviously dishonest he is are the point.

There is no actual point in arguing on these boards, much less with someone like Eats who will pretty much say anything in order to push whatever progressive talking point he's on.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #4189
Eats
Developer

This is what you did with the crickets idiom.

Quote:
Cats and dogs were raining from the sky.

English is my first language guys.
It is funny/sad watching all your little partisan friends pretend that what you said is correct though.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #4190
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Honestly I didn’t think they were going to dig in on such a stupid/wrong use of the idiom. I thought we would just move on because it doesn’t matter, but it just keeps going forever and they won’t let it go. It is a dumb hill to die on, especially since it was just objectively incorrect. But once it became a kind of political stance for them I guess they will just never be able to acknowledge that it was incorrect.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #4191
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Honestly I didnít think they were going to dig in on such a stupid/wrong use of the idiom. I thought we would just move on because it doesnít matter, but it just keeps going forever and they wonít let it go. It is a dumb hill to die on, especially since it was just objectively incorrect. But once it became a kind of political stance for them I guess they will just never be able to acknowledge that it was incorrect.
Admits it wasn't an incorrect usage, goes on to say it was incorrect. Who can't let it go now there Eats? Is there anything you won't blatantly lie about?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #4192
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I thought we would just move on because it doesn’t matter
Clearly it does matter to you, as you keep posting about it.

You're a pathetic excuse for a man, but not because of your failure to understand idiomatic expressions. See my sig.
Quote:

Last edited by Terran; 04-15-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #4193
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Admits it wasn't an incorrect usage
When did I do that?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #4194
Eats
Developer

Quote:
You're a pathetic excuse for a man, but not because of your failure to understand idiomatic expressions. See my sig.
Yes we know you want to intentionally misunderstand what I was saying and take my quotes out of context. You bring it up in almost every post. We already beat this horse to death even worse than the cricket thing.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #4195
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
When did I do that?
Quote:
Honestly, that is still a somewhat awkward construction but at least it isn't wrong.
In reality world it wasn't wrong in the first instance to begin with. You just needed something to nitpick to deflect as usual. It's what you do, like I said, your song and dance is old and tired.

In other news I love how the dems are all flocking to Ilhan Omar to proclaim she's now a victim, when it was her that make a downright insulting comment to begin with in regards to 9/11. Much like Obama the woman can't seem to call out Islamic Terrorism for what it is. She should not be in Congress.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #4196
Eats
Developer

When I said that we were talking about an entirely different sentence. The stuff you're saying about deflecting is also wrong but you don't seem to be able to follow the thread in the first place.

These little trump feuds lately are boring. I guess he has raised the bar so high with his crazy antics that he needs to do something bigger. The Mueller report comes out on Thursday and if it isn't redacted to death it could be interesting. Even if it has nothing that would be pretty interesting too as long as it isn't super censored.

Last edited by Eats; 04-16-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #4197
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yes we know you want to intentionally misunderstand what I was saying and take my quotes out of context.
Your quotes are linked to their original context for all to see. There is no positive interpretation of your words. You stated you were present during the assault and rape of women and did NOTHING, and you proceeded to use this fact about your life as a means of condemning a SCOTUS nominee, as if your worm-like behavior would have been common enough among men to be true of him as well.

You're not a man, you're a worm.

Quote:
These little trump feuds lately are boring.
Maybe you miss your frat party days.

Quote:
The Mueller report comes out on Thursday
Keeping the dream alive! lololololol.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #4198
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
When I said that we were talking about an entirely different sentence. The stuff you're saying about deflecting is also wrong but you don't seem to be able to follow the thread in the first place.

These little trump feuds lately are boring. I guess he has raised the bar so high with his crazy antics that he needs to do something bigger. The Mueller report comes out on Thursday and if it isn't redacted to death it could be interesting. Even if it has nothing that would be pretty interesting too as long as it isn't super censored.
How unsurprising that you care so little for the 3000 people who died.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #4199
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
This is what you did with the crickets idiom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats
Cats and dogs were raining from the sky.

English is my first language guys.
It is funny/sad watching all your little partisan friends pretend that what you said is correct though.
Now it seems clear that you're pushing hard for option #2. To do this, you work hard to prove just how dumb you are. How dumb are you? Well, his play on the idiom was in response to you literally posting "*crickets*". Behold your stupidity:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran
Quote:
*crickets*
The sound Eats makes when someone is raped at a party he is attending.
I make cricket noises? You are so dumb your insults donít even make sense.
You're so dumb that you didn't - and apparently still don't - understand this.

Your stance really amounts to this:
Cricket noises made by the GOP = Makes sense, it's a commonly used idiom.
Cricket noises made by Eats = Wuuuut? Makes kno cents?!?!?

Quote:
Honestly I didnít think they were going to dig in on such a stupid/wrong use of the idiom. I thought we would just move on because it doesnít matter, but it just keeps going forever and they wonít let it go. It is a dumb hill to die on, especially since it was just objectively incorrect. But once it became a kind of political stance for them I guess they will just never be able to acknowledge that it was incorrect.
Uh oh, I see you're still confused by the words honestly and objectively.

Now I agree it's a dumb hill to die on -- for you. Instead of just taking the jab, you got upset and ironically responded with a genuinely stupid rebuttal.

Aside from that, it's more of your usual projection: this is a political thing for you, based upon your own partisan thoughts. This was quite evident when you happily agreed that liberal headlines slamming Republicans with the same idiom, used in a way which asserted people were making cricket noises was correct after complaining that made a jab at you - after you literally posted *crickets* - was incorrect. Why? Well, you're dumb. It just doesn't seem like there is a way around that at this point.

And Vallor, this further illustrates my point of why there is no real discussion with one such as Eats; he's simply dishonest, hopelessly partisan, and quite obviously stupid. It's also one of the reasons it's so very humorous to point out such things -- he'll come up with ridiculous reasons as to why he thinks he's right when he's so obviously wrong. He's even arguing that it's objectively incorrect. You see, at least in my opinion, the comedy is still there with his twisting.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #4200
Eats
Developer

About 1 in 13 college students in a new study from three U.S. campuses report having been drugged, or suspect that they were drugged.

https://www.livescience.com/54896-dr...-students.html

Unless you didn't go to college or never went to bars or parties then you have attended parties where girls were being roofied. Why didn't you do anything about it? Because you didn't know who was doing it.

Knowing things after the fact doesn't help you do anything in the moment.

When you are at parties with over 1000 people in attendance you don't know what is happening all over the party during the party. You are going to keep pretending that your accusations make sense but they don't.

"The sound the GOP makes" is wrong. Changing the noun doesn't make it right.