Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 04:01 PM
2 Replies, 271 Views

Old 04-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

George R.R. Martin Says Winds Of Winter Writing "Going Very Well Lately"

Quote:
Fans of A Song of Ice and Fire, the book series on which HBO's insanely popular Game of Thrones TV show is based, have been waiting for the next book in the series--The Winds of Winter--since the last book, A Dance with Dragons, was published back in 2011. With the show's final season looming, fans await any news about the next book more eagerly than ever.

Luckily, there's some good, if vague, news on that front: Author George R.R. Martin stated during a recent interview with Entertainment Tonight that his writing has "been going very well lately."

As the author has stated many times before, he's given up on trying to guess exactly when he'll be done writing, as fans tend to lash out when he provides dates that then come and go without a new release. "It'll be done when it's done," Martin characteristically told ET on the red carpet for the show's Season 8 premiere. Then he added: "It's been going very well lately, so knock wood."
GameSpot
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

And in a few weeks he'll even have an idea of what the ending should be.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Now that the final season has been completed, he can get a copy of the script and make better progress, lol.

They long since left him behind. I could tell when important characters stopped dying that he was no longer the author of the story, at least not the HBO version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
MavenACTG
Soul Reaper

Is this like a Netflix's shareholders meeting? "Things are going well, we'll continue what we are doing and focus on growth", repeat for six years.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

I couldn't give a fuck less about George RR Martin any longer. I will tell you though that I'm still eagerly awaiting book 3 of the Kingkiller chronicle. It's a real bummer that it stalled out so badly...
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

He could have written 10 words a day each day and been able to finish a massive tome by now.

He is way to rich and busy with his non-Fire and Ice extra curricular projects, like distractions with non-progression books and policing the official Sci-fi and Fantasy writer’s guild to verify everyone is toeing the politically correct line. And if they don’t he has to manage the efforts to create new awards and manage all that shit himself so he can squelch or freeze out anyone else who might decide to run anything other than the unofficial/official sanctioned slate.

I mean with those sorts of responsibilities how can we possible expect him to write a book too? We’ll be lucky if he finishes before he dies.

This is why I don’t bother following him any more. I know even if the next book comes out tomorrow it will be another decade before the next. Then another decade for the next. Then he’ll be dead before the next book and I don’t have any faith he’ll finish in just 3 books based on current progress.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
I will tell you though that I'm still eagerly awaiting book 3 of the Kingkiller chronicle. It's a real bummer that it stalled out so badly...
Same here. I didnít like the 2nd nearly as much as the first but it was still a great book. Iíve read the first book 4 times now, the first two times were in the week I bought it. I think weíre looking at a total of 5 or 6 books for the series. Hopefully he keeps up the quality.

But Rothfuss is taking his time now. I worry he is going the way of George RR Martin and Robert Jordan. Maybe he hasnít gotten into his groove yet.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Same here. I didnít like the 2nd nearly as much as the first but it was still a great book. Iíve read the first book 4 times now, the first two times were in the week I bought it. I think weíre looking at a total of 5 or 6 books for the series. Hopefully he keeps up the quality.

But Rothfuss is taking his time now. I worry he is going the way of George RR Martin and Robert Jordan. Maybe he hasnít gotten into his groove yet.
He's too busy playing D&D with the Penny Arcade guys.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Juan
Evil Dead

At this point who cares? GOT is one of the rare examples of the show being better than the book and since the plot went forward without him, what's the point reading the book anymore?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:53 AM   #10
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
At this point who cares? GOT is one of the rare examples of the show being better than the book and since the plot went forward without him, what's the point reading the book anymore?
That's my question too, I haven't read any of his other stuff, unsure why there's so much hype around this particular neckbeard.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #11
Cranium
Reaper

Anyone who (tried to) read Dragon Reborn series by Robert Jordan while it was being written would know what to expect from a fantasy epic being milked mid-development. Authors that capable are enamoured with weaving ever more elaborate patterns, seemingly not so much by resolving them to a single loose end. Once they're out of mystify it seems mostly a downhill journey. I was hoping Martin would prove me wrong, but looks like he's having similar difficulties. Raymond Feist at least wrapped his up by himself, though it took an unsatisfying Deus-Ex Machina move to do so. Idk why I'm complaining though - don't even read fantasy any more & certainly won't be picking up the GoT books. I'm only owed one reality tangent per fantasy I think (though seeing Wolverine die by John Byrne's hand was admittedly memorable, even now).
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 AM   #12
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
That's my question too, I haven't read any of his other stuff, unsure why there's so much hype around this particular neckbeard.
His other series called WILD CARDS is on Book 27. But George was the founding Editor and it's content was because of a group of dedicated authors.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Man you guys bitch about Martin.. but I've been waiting for my favorite author and series (David Gerrold, War Against the Chtorr) to finish for at least a few decades now.

Goddamn authors!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm looking forward to it. A shame it has been so long and for a while it was kinda frustrating to see him running around the country doing everything except writing the book, but I've kinda moved on and so now whenever it comes out it will be a nice surprise.

In good news, Soda Pop Soldier Book 2 is finally out! Yea!
Old 04-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Because the book has ZOMBIE CAT?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
Inkabodcrane
Subscriber

Quote:
I read the first 3 books 20 years ago or so, but never continued past that as I joined the Army and just never got back into it. But I will say, as good as the show is, the books are definitely better. Certain epic things such as what happens with Eddard Stark and the Red Wedding, to Danerys and Khal Drogo, everything is better simply because the author has all the time he needs to detail everything. There is no 1 hour limit to tell the story.

But again, I can't speak for the quality after book 3. I tried to get into book 4 and just couldn't get back into it. Perhaps they need to be read consecutively, rather than taking a few years off in between books. Also all my reading was done when there was no show, so all the visuals where from my imagination. I imagine that now trying to read them will sort of restrict you imagination some because you have a reference for what everything should look like.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #17
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Because of my OCD demanding I finish that fucking series despite its fatass slowass jackass author too busy masturbating to finish the fucking books.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #18
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

My wife got mad at me because I said some of Daenarys's terrible dialogue right along with her since it was so predictable. I'll gladly finish the series but some of the writing is laughably bad.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Probably because the show did go forward without him and so the book may be significantly different. I wouldn't even put it past Martin to change the ending of the book from the show just to spite the TV series.

The entire concept of the books is to do Lord of the Rings only have the bad guys win. An author who is writing a series mostly as a big FU to conventional fantasy novel thinking certainly would consider changing the ending of the book just to have it be different from the show.

I would put good money down that the Night King wins in the books. Something I seriously doubt that the TV producers ever considered.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I would put good money down that the Night King wins in the books. Something I seriously doubt that the TV producers ever considered.
Yeah, the show changed dramatically as they forged ahead of his writing. Good guys no longer died in droves or in shocking acts of mundane brutality. The past few seasons they've killed off a couple of semi-central characters. The rest have implausibly survived.

I think a completely different ending to the novels would be hilarious. Not sure he'll ever finish the series, though. I'd bet against it, but I also said Tiger Woods would never win another major, and....woops, I was wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a game of thrones, george rr martin