Yesterday 08:58 PM
6 Replies, 305 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Video Games Turn Teenagers Into Sexists

Quote:
Findings, published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology, suggest that teenagers who spend more time playing video games are more likely to display sexist and stereotypical opinions. And this correlation was not limited to male subjects. Laurent Begue, co-author of the study, told the AFP that the correlation may be due to the representation of women in popular video games.

“Content analysis has shown that women are under-represented in popular video games. They have passive roles, they are princesses who need to be saved or secondary, sexualized objects of conquest,” he said.
Via New York Times
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Hm. This is the last paragraph from the linked article:

Quote:
The study on sexism did, in fact, find that video games were not the most influential determinant of whether or not a teenager displays sexist attitudes. “Religious fervor” was a more significant factor, according to the AFP.
So... why the inflammatory headline? Not enough religious types on the internet that the author could offend?

Edit: Also, all participants of the study were French.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I'd love to know what games they were focusing on, because there's been a highly publicized effort across the industry as a whole to utilize strong female protagonists. Shit, even series like Gears of War - featuring hyper-masculine characters - increasingly featured female characters who were just as effective as the series progressed.

I'd like to see what was being sampled, basically.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Very light in details. Just says "more" likely. 30% of non-gamers vs 50% of gamers having sexist views is potentially significant. 30% vs 32% not so much. Both would be considered "more" likely. Also they don't define what is considered a sexist stereotype. Do they consider "women are the weaker sex" to be a sexist stereotype?
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

The study appears to be downloadable in pdf version (I hope to check it out more later), but it has a few flaws. One would be that the sample is apparently just French, and we're dealing with culture in dealing with representations of gender so that's a real limitation to its applicability to others.* The other flaw is that they are examining representations of gender in video games, and in many games the player actually does the choosing in terms of gender and how the individual character behaves, even down to appearance. In such cases, the game isn't representing anything but the gamer's own choices. Finally, the study had a predetermined hypothesis rather than an open examination of the data; they believed beforehand that there would be a link, and finding a link for what you believe is among the more common errors in research. When I began my doctoral dissertation I did not approach the topic with a particular predetermined approach to the data. I gathered the data and let it speak to me as to what it represented about the population I studied. No surprise an academic with a leftist bent would find reinforcement in a study for a leftist position.

* How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris? None. It's never been done before. What color is the national flag of France? White.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I think they have video games confused with MTV garbage and reality TV shows.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Scherge
Voice of Reason

I KNEW I shouldn't have bothered! I take it none of you read the actual study? I envy you, but just to make sure no-one else is wasting their time on this... Here's the full description of the process to determine if a student was sexist or not:

Quote:
Sexism
Sexism was measured with a single-item question. Participants were asked the following Likert-type question: “A woman is made mainly for making and raising children”, from fully disagree (1) to fully agree (4), M = 1.53; SD = 0.9).
That's it. Everything before and after it (it's a 26-pages document, after all) is a description of the interviewed people and a comparison of their TV, gaming and religious habits. Amazing what some people get paid for nowadays...
Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
plowshare
Peon

May or may not be true...
I find this study suspect. Also, call me when there are peer reviews and follow-up studies.
plowshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

These cretin SJWs need to stop playing Mario and start playing Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Tomb Raider, etc.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Mephistopheles
Evil Dead

"Our aim was also to measure the strength of this association when two other significant and well-studied sources of sexism, television exposure and religiosity, were also included in a multivariate model."

I can think of another media genre gamers may be more likely to consume than non-gamers that could be acting as a confounding factor on this result.
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I KNEW I shouldn't have bothered! I take it none of you read the actual study? I envy you, but just to make sure no-one else is wasting their time on this... Here's the full description of the process to determine if a student was sexist or not:

Quote:
Sexism
Sexism was measured with a single-item question. Participants were asked the following Likert-type question: “A woman is made mainly for making and raising children”, from fully disagree (1) to fully agree (4), M = 1.53; SD = 0.9).
That's it. Everything before and after it (it's a 26-pages document, after all) is a description of the interviewed people and a comparison of their TV, gaming and religious habits. Amazing what some people get paid for nowadays...
Thank you Scherge. That question is terrible for determining sexism. For one thing, it conflates sexism with biology. There's an easy argument that all organisms are mainly made to propagate.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowshare View Post
May or may not be true...
I find this study suspect. Also, call me when there are peer reviews and follow-up studies.
Could you be any more generic, sir?

Fuck her right in the pussy....
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
ministryofwrath
Soul Reaper

Jesus christ, maybe they get influenced by what they want , and perhaps the feminist koolaid isn't the correct flavor for heterosexual teens who don't give any credit to your agenda that is already failing.

sexist, you mean being heterosexual and looking at women as sex objects, you mean in the cloth they dress in and the fact they seem to use sexuality more for everything but sex its self, at that point you're a sexist predator pervert.

..!.. media

you have no idea how many high level people play games, I hope the western world grows balls and smashes this rhetoric or dies.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sexism, sexists