Today 08:59 AM
9 Replies, 541 Views

Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

AMD Releases Radeon 7 Benchmarks for 25 Games

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
After announcing the Radeon 7 a few days ago, AMD has stealth-released a more comprehensive set of benchmark results that show how the upcoming card performs in 25 recent games compared to the current top Team Red GPU, the RX Vega 64, benched at 4K resolution on maximum settings. The benchmarks were contained in footnotes to AMD's press materials, and first came to light courtesy of HardOCP.

Broadly, the results bear out AMD's claim of around a 25 per cent leap in performance from one generation to the next, although increases as low as 7.5 per cent in Hitman 2 and as high as 68.3 per cent in Fallout 76 are included in the results.

If we compare AMD's provided results to our existing benchmarks, we can see that our Vega 64 scores for Ghost Recon Wildlands and Assassin's Creed Odyssey are practically identical, suggesting that AMD's definition of '4K Max' is the same as ours in these titles. That means we can suggest how the Radeon 7 would compare against a wider range of cards in these titles, particularly as any differences in CPU performance are likely to be negligible when running these games at 4K and max settings (AMD benched using an i7 7700K, while we've moved on to the i7 8700K).
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Pretty disappointed in the overall benchmarks for this card. The only real saving grace is that it will be cheaper than the RTX solutions it is trying to compete with, and hopefully, will sell enough to get nVIDIA to lower their prices, particularly for the 2060 and 2070, to more realistic levels.

Personally I am waiting another generation to upgrade, as I want a second generation card that supports ray tracing. My GTX-1080 should still be good for another year or two as long as I stick to doing 1440p only (no more gaming on my 4K television!).
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I play Assassin's Creed Odyssey in 4k at max settings with a 1080ti and get well over 60fps. What is this 38.9? Isn't that supposed to be FPS?

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

You may get that when outisde in the wilderness, but not in the cities. Are you using the game's build in Benchmark tool?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #5
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
You may get that when outisde in the wilderness, but not in the cities. Are you using the game's build in Benchmark tool?
No, you're right. I hadn't played in a month or two. I just checked and I have to turn Volumetric Clouds and Fog down to medium and change antialiasing and shadows from "very high" to "high" to get an acceptable 55 - 60fps @ 4k. I also have HDR on so I'm not sure if that also impacts performance.

When everything was maxed I was getting between 42 - 45 FPS, still slightly better than what they show in the article.

But damn, I forgot how good that game looks. This was the first time booting it up on my new monitors and I think I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
Exodus
Evil Dead

Nothing's changed. Their newest card only competes with nvidia's XX70 card.
So it'll be do I pay 50$ for better support and a minute difference in performance?

If anything let's see if this will make nvidia relax their pricing on their 70 series.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Poor AMD, always a day late and a dollar short. Seems like the most people hope from them is they keep nvidia in line and help regulate prices a little.

I wonder if they are just an nvidia front company so the government doesn't come after nvidia for anti-trust or something. It is probably worth shuffling over a few slightly older trade secrets now and then to help AMD along if they look like they are struggling to keep up a little too much.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Poor AMD, always a day late and a dollar short. Seems like the most people hope from them is they keep nvidia in line and help regulate prices a little.

I wonder if they are just an nvidia front company so the government doesn't come after nvidia for anti-trust or something. It is probably worth shuffling over a few slightly older trade secrets now and then to help AMD along if they look like they are struggling to keep up a little too much.
Naw they're just shit tier and always have been, much like ATI was always shit tier prior to the two merging.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 AM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Man, im sure glad i grew up when video games and computing power actually improved. These are not things that matter.

Ass ass ins creed in 4K is the same game at 1080p. Looks 97% the same to.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:35 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I simply aim for 1080p at the highest 'minimum' fps I can get. I don't personally CARE if the game can run at 234fps, with card x or y, as it's all about the minimum. I like my eyes and don't want to see them bleed. 60fps+ 'minimum' as that's the only thing that matters.

Unless you have a 120Hz screen then, yeah, I hear that.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #11
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Man, im sure glad i grew up when video games and computing power actually improved. These are not things that matter.

Ass ass ins creed in 4K is the same game at 1080p. Looks 97% the same to.
Yeah I don't get the omg 4k best ever shit either. The games don't look that much better from 1080p really, just higher res, big whoop? Going from stuff like Astroids or some of the early arcade titles and things like the Atari 2600 to today tho? Now those were massive visual upgrades that were obviously noticeable.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
But damn, I forgot how good that game looks. This was the first time booting it up on my new monitors and I think I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night.
This is one of the best implementations of HDR I have seen. I definitely was willing to drop to a consistent 30fps and game on my HDR television than play it at a consistent 60fps on my PC monitor. The HDR just adds so much depth and realism that is lacking from the SDR image.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #13
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Naw they're just shit tier and always have been, much like ATI was always shit tier prior to the two merging.
Actually for a bit ATI had the better cards than NVIDIA.. but their drivers were always shit.. and every few years their entire board of directors more or less went to jail for insider trading.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Actually for a bit ATI had the better cards than NVIDIA.. but their drivers were always shit.. and every few years their entire board of directors more or less went to jail for insider trading.
Exactly, they've always been a joke, and their drivers were always the worst part. I had an ATI Rage Pro way back in the day, worst card I've ever owned, never again after dealing with that pos.

Nvidia has on occasion put out a bad driver, but they always fix it and their track record in comparison is stellar. Have never been disappointed with their products. Have always gotten the performance I've expected. Though I won't pay more than 250 or so for a video card so nothing top of the line usually, but still have never had issues with anything I've thrown at Nvidia's cards, and generally just turn shadows down a little and still get great performance on generally high settings in 99.9% of everything.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

30FPS for 4K? GTFO, they'd better use better than this in the Xbox Two.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

60FPS 4K should be the gold standard next console gen. Sick and tired of 30 FPS stutter.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I recently bought a laptop with a 144hz refresh rate @1080p.

I'll never go lower. It's such an amazing improvement in smoothness.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I recently bought a laptop with a 144hz refresh rate @1080p.

I'll never go lower. It's such an amazing improvement in smoothness.
You ain't kidding. I traded in my 144hz for a more color accurate monitor (60hz) a few years ago, and the difference in performance was night and day.

I've since upgraded to an ultrawide @100/120hz, so the performance is decent, and the color accuracy is great.

And as far as 4K being overhyped, I agree. The only thing that actually matters is the jump from SDR to HDR.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 AM   #19
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Everyone who says 4k is overhyped is in denial. I have some 4k HDR tv's and some 1080p tv's. I have some 4k HDR monitors and some 1080p monitors.

I've had 4k since around the time the XB1S came out, so it's been 2 or 3 years now. I can't tell you how much it is obvious that 4K is way better and extremely noticeable from 1080p.

1080p was top of the line in what, 2007 or so? It's 2019. I get that upgrading can be costly and annoying, so I'm not hating on anyone who just doesn't want to deal with the cost and hassle. But when people say that 4k is overhyped or not noticeable I have to cry foul as someone who has been deeply imbedded in both for years. It is extremely noticeable if you have been sitting in front of 4k, watching and playing 4k content. Going back to 1080p feels just like it sounds; going back.

The colors are richer, the details are finer, the lines (similar to antialiasing) are sharper, and so on. Avengers Infinity War is on Netflix but it's only in HD, so I'm waiting for a sale or until I just go ahead and buy it in 4k before watching it again. BvS is insanely better in 4k than it is in HD. It is like night and day. Playing PUBG, BF5, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or many other games in 4K with HDR is just instantly noticeable over HD. I'm playing Spider-man PS4 right now in 4K (checkerboarding of course) HDR and, again, I wouldn't want to play it any other way. Ha! Just saw the Stan Lee cameo!

Anyways, /rant.

Go Against the Flow.

Tags
amd