Call of Duty: Black Ops...
Last post by Scherge
Yesterday 02:29 AM
3 Replies, 713 Views

Old 11-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Destiny 2 Developer Bungie Admits It "Betrayed" Players With Secret XP System

"The silent nature of the mechanic betrayed the expectation of transparency that you have for Destiny 2." GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Bungie has responded to the recent controversy surrounding Destiny 2's XP mechanics. If you're just catching up, players discovered that the game reduces progress toward levelling up when you earn XP rapidly as you do in Public Events. The developer then disabled this XP scaling mechanic, and now the studio has responded further, acknowledging that it "betrayed" players in terms of transparency.

"Our intention was to keep slower-paced activities as rewarding as high intensity grinding without confusing variations in displayed XP values, but the silent nature of the mechanic betrayed the expectation of transparency that you have for Destiny 2," Bungie wrote its website.

With this system disabled, Bungie said it is now working toward finding a solution to address XP balance in Destiny 2. Work has begun on this effort, and you might notice this in XP levels contained in the code embedded on the Bungie website's API.

"In a future update, we intend to link these internal and display-only values together for greater consistency, and to ensure that when changes are made they are accurately reflected everywhere we report them," Bungie said.

As it stands currently, levelling is "too slow for some activities" with the new 160K XP value, Bungie wrote, adding that it's in the process of looking over feedback and will make further adjustments as needed. XP boosts from consumable items and the 300% bonus you get for being Well Rested are unchanged.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

What a crock of shit. I get the reasoning behind it and it makes total sense. It's a fairly common mechanic even so why hide it?

However by bringing up the link to Bright Engram acquisition it certainly has a scent of greed. It sure is bad timing considering the loot chest kurfullel going on right now.

And now doubling the amount of XP required to earn a level seems like a knee jerk reaction to make sure people are still highly encouraged to participate in their Real Money Marketplace.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I don't get it. You reach level cap 20 in 2 hours and then WTF is XP good for anymore??
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

It is shady. But honestly I don’t really care. Haha. Now if it was engrams that held weapons and armor or whatever I would be pissed. But bright engrams only hold cosmetic shit. And mods but you get way more mods in game so no one buys them for mods. Again it’s shady but I still have fun playing and I still get what I want out of it. Mostly... fuck you prestege rewards. Still pissed about that.... shit needs to be fixed ASAP.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
Blog
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I don't get it. You reach level cap 20 in 2 hours and then WTF is XP good for anymore??
Even at 20 you still have an XP bar. When it fills and resets, instead of gaining a level you gain an engram, which is coincidentally the same thing that Bungie is selling in-game for real cash.

So whether it was their intention or not, it sure looks like Bungie was deliberately throttling XP to encourage players to participate in their real-money economy. These crates (crystals? whatever) are mostly cosmetic; emotes, new loading screens (ships), and the like. They're more like Overwatch's crate system than the P2W shit storm that is SWBF2.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Exodus
Evil Dead

I like how the major flaw of the game is not what they are talking about and it has nothing to do with the xp or even the gameplay it's the lack of a reason to fucking play. Course titanforging is what saved wow and m+
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Whew glad I avoided this one.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
blackzc
Evil Dead

I play destiny to shoot aliens and because it reminds me of Metriod Prime, i don't even care about all this other stupid shit.

Whatever fags.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Its a great game and they are going to keep adding to it. I still prefer Destiny 1 but this game will only get better!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Thanks for the explanation Blog, I had only just reached level 20 thanks to the constraints of a crazy job, 2 kids, and semi-lazy housewife.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Destiny 2 is an inferior Destiny

ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:52 PM   #12
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

I'm finding it amusing that gaming's chief problem as an industry is its increasing intrusion of revenue-generating business models into game environments and the corporate misconduct that results from trying to grift players, not in finding and creating interesting mechanics and stories.

Almost like gaming needs business to make more games, but too much business ruins games. RIP Bioware.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #13
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Almost like gaming needs business to make more games, but too much business ruins games.
This is an excellent summary that I will totally steal and quote in biz dev meetings from now on!

Also, I'll probably attribute it to Gabe Newell, because nobody ever seems to doubt his wisdom.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
Exodus
Evil Dead

How about let us dismantle whatever's in our mailbox instead going through this transfer into our inventory then dismantle bullshit.

Tags
activision, betrayal, bungie, destiny 2