Last post by Chimpbot
Today 01:04 PM
2 Replies, 369 Views

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Subscriber

AMD Ryzen Single-Threaded benchmark leaked! #ryzen

via WCCFtech

As we all have seen, the tech world is in a frenzied anticipation regarding AMD's latest desktop CPU offering, Ryzen. The Ryzen chip family, which is due to be released in just a few short weeks, has a lot to live up to considering the general failure of Bulldozer parts to cut into Intel's dominance in the sector over the last five years. Well, all that is about to change.

Quote:
Let’s move on to the last and perhaps most important benchmark we have. Passmark’s single-threaded performance test. This has always been AMD’s Achilles heel and why its CPUs have struggled to compete with Intel in gaming performance. Is it possible that Jim Keller and his team were able to close the gap that Intel has built over five years in a single generation? This is the moment of truth.

The answer is a resounding yes. Regardless of the fact that the engineering sample we’re looking at may be only running at 3.4Ghz without Turbo, the result would remain just as impressive even if it was hitting its intended Turbo clock speed of 3.8GHz. It manages to successfully edge out the 5960X and the 6800K and falls behind the 6900K by no more than 3%. That’s a very impressive feat considering Intel’s i7-6900K and i7-6800K both turbo up to 4.0GHz and 3.8GHz respectively in single threaded mode thanks to Broadwell-E’s Turbo Boost 3.0 feature. This means that even if the Ryzen engineering sample was in fact running at 3.8GHz Turbo frequency, it would still be outperforming Broadwell-E clock for clock ever so slightly.
Keep in mind the leaked PassMark benches are using the R7 1700x, NOT the top of the line 1800x! Welcome back, AMD!

Last edited by brandonjclark; 02-11-2017 at 08:36 PM..
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Meanwhile, at the AMD offices...

Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #3
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

With AMD's humiliating track record of lies and dishonesty, I'm going to wait to see actual reviews before believing anything.

Bulldozer saw exactly this same sort of hype and it was all nothing but complete lies spread by their disgustingly slimy viral marketing team(seriously, the lowest group of people on any tech forum I've ever dealt with).

A bunch of people got kickbacks to lie and leak fake information about an upcoming AMD release? Vega is going to beat Pascal to market by at least six months, Hawaii is going to destroy Maxwell in efficiency, Bulldozer is going to obliterate the weak i7- these are all actual lies AMD's viral marketing scumbags have spread to mislead people.

Biggest indicator- last time AMD was honestly superior to Intel's top offering, the OG Athlon days- their top chip retailed for $1K- directly in line with Intel's prices. AMD has shown that they were capable of being competitive in the past, and they priced accordingly. Hell, just look at the Fury X, that wasn't even all that competitive and it *STILL* was priced in line with the 980Ti. This belief that AMD has a superior part coming based on "leaks" and they are going to price it at less then half of what Intel is? I'm throwing a bullshit flag. Go ahead, prove me wrong AMD.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

You could be right, Ben. We wont' know until just a few more weeks.

Interestingly, THIS WEBSITE has some other benches and they are varying in consistency.

Now I'm not sure WHO to believe. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ehh, read the comments on that videocardz website and many people are calling shenanigans on those results. Also, those Passmore scores from wccftech are supposedly public and legit.

Then again, we'll have to wait and see.

However, the hype for Bulldozer wasn't ANYTHING like Ryzens hype. I mean, I remember AMD fans wanting bulldozer to be legit, but this time around it seems like the entire tech industry is behind this one.

Last edited by brandonjclark; 02-11-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Old 02-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Seriously? That site?
All they ever do is post click-bait crap.

As for Ryzen itself, from the info gleamed so far, and from the tech discussion at ISSCC, it seemed to have almost everything needed to offer the best bang for the buck in a heck of a long time.
8 actual cores, 16 threads for max of $500 is pretty impressive.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Here's a cool video for those who haven't seen it. For those who have, it's the best part sliced.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

I seem to recall them claiming to use FinFet in this chip, that could account for the majority of the gains in cost per performance, no?

So you're comparing Intel's best non-finfet chip to AMD's first finfet chip, with finfet being a technological sea-change in the industry.

All that remains is for Intel to then redesign their chips with finfet in mind and again command thousand-dollar prices at double what an AMD chip can do, and we're back to normal in the CPU industry, but until Intel can do that, AMD will make rapid gains.

How did AMD do this? It's pretty clear. They've been pushing finfet for some time, having announced their first GPU using finfet last year, although it was only applying finfet to the memory tech being used at that time.

It appears they then applied the tech not only to their next gpus, but also their CPU line, a luxury that Intel may have trouble responding to, since they run a GPU line.

But then again, it's Intel, they've got much more research funds, and finfet tech isn't exclusive to AMD, it's licensed and co-developed from the chip-fab iirc, TSMC perhaps? One of those.

Once again, consumers win, big time.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I seem to recall them claiming to use FinFet in this chip, that could account for the majority of the gains in cost per performance, no?

So you're comparing Intel's best non-finfet chip to AMD's first finfet chip, with finfet being a technological sea-change in the industry.
Um, no.
Intel was the first with that technology, they had a 3+ year advantage, in fact, they are at gen 2 or 3 by now.

What Ryzen brings to the table is quite a few design choices that are better than intel's, but, not everything on the Ryzen runs faster than intel's.
AMD also chose to use metal gates, which lower power dramatically, and infinity fabric seems to bring some serious bandwidth to the table.
There are of course other things in play, but, as I said before, what AMD has been brewing up seems to be some nice competition from AMD at last.

Quote:
Once again, consumers win, big time.
That, we can agree on.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

If I had bought this stock one year ago like I was debating..... fuck me, I'd be able to buy a house outright.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 AM   #10
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
If I had bought this stock one year ago like I was debating..... fuck me, I'd be able to buy a house outright.
Yet you've bought zero bitcoin, the greatest investment of our age, right? Heh. I've made about 5,000% on it thus far, and you were around back then when it was talked about here.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Yet you've bought zero bitcoin, the greatest investment of our age, right? Heh. I've made about 5,000% on it thus far, and you were around back then when it was talked about here.
You've said time and again Bitcoin doesn't work if it's only seen as an investment. Isn't that why you bought a shirt or something a couple years ago?

As for AMD, I had an Athlon proc in my main machine. Once. And I gave them a chance on their videocards several times over the last 20 years. And in all cases I felt I get bent over. I never felt like I had gotten anything superior in their hardware than if I'd gone intel or matrox (back in the day) or nvidia.

In fact life was usually so much worse. Their chip performance usually left much to be desired and their video drivers were late, buggy, or they'd drop support at the drop of a hat. Even when catalyst unified drivers came out (years after nvidia started unifying their Gforce drivers) they where such shit they break more than they fix. And sometimes they'd break, fix, break the SAME THING THEY JUST FIXED in the next version, and keep doing that for months on end. Fix, break, fix, break. They did this with HDMI support for nearly 6 months where every time you booted up you had to calibrate your HDMI monitors to fit the screen dimensions again because it would either display 3 inches of black bars on each side or it would blow the display area to 2x what your monitor could show.

Fuck you AMD. I doubt with how old I am you will ever see a direct cent from me ever again.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
screwyluie
Evil Dead

wccftech... might as well get your news from the inquirer. Let me know when someone else leaks ryzen info

in fact I'm going to make this a formal complaint, because this is my favorite news site. wccftech should never, ever be on the front page.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
wccftech... might as well get your news from the inquirer. Let me know when someone else leaks ryzen info

in fact I'm going to make this a formal complaint, because this is my favorite news site. wccftech should never, ever be on the front page.
#FakeNews?

You realize you can check the fucking results in Passmark yourself, right?

Here's some more since it gets you in such a tizzy.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-l...speeds-leaked/
Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
A fake invented currency mainly used by thieves and criminals. Great investment. Good luck there.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
A fake invented currency mainly used by thieves and criminals. Great investment. Good luck there.
lmao, the irony is rich.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Maybe Forbes?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyle...g-at-just-129/
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #17
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Hopefully this all turns out to be true. Before I jump aboard the hype train, I'm going to need to see reviews of chips verified to be in production.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Hopefully this all turns out to be true. Before I jump aboard the hype train, I'm going to need to see reviews of chips verified to be in production.
Just mere weeks away!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #19
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Hopefully this means the next generation PlayStation will be a huge upgrade too.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
Hopefully this means the next generation PlayStation will be a huge upgrade too.
Why, is that being filled by AMD as well? These Ryzen chips have no integrated gpu, so I wonder how that'day work. Maybe a new APU design based off of Zen?

Tags
benchmark, cpu, intel, passmark, ryzen