Today 11:50 AM
22 Replies, 1,292 Views
» Promotion

Old 02-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Why, is that being filled by AMD as well? These Ryzen chips have no integrated gpu, so I wonder how that'day work. Maybe a new APU design based off of Zen?
I'm thinking this will lead to a new APU design.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #22
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Aren't some variation of these chips rumored to be in the Scorpio?
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #23
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
A fake invented currency mainly used by thieves and criminals. Great investment. Good luck there.
The price of ignorance about monetary philosophy:

You do not understand what money is, the very nature of it, and thus you defend a worse money in the face of a far superior one.

You too, are a status-quo warrior, and you defend government-fiat in the face of a freely-chosen market currency controlled by no one.

You're essentially saying something equivalent to gold, that is bitcoin, is a worse money than some pretty pictures and words printed on worthless paper.

And the US dollar is used far more often by criminals than bitcoin ever was.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #24
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Xbox Scorpio Mentioned on Video at AMD’s CES 2017 Ryzen/Vega Booth
I guess it's possible that MSFT is going with Ryzen for the Scorpio. The article notes that it's merely speculation, but, as Brandon pointed out, time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Yet you've bought zero bitcoin, the greatest investment of our age, right? Heh. I've made about 5,000% on it thus far, and you were around back then when it was talked about here.
Math fail. Remember: You're against derailing threads unless you want to derail a thread.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
#FakeNews?

You realize you can check the fucking results in Passmark yourself, right?

Here's some more since it gets you in such a tizzy.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-l...speeds-leaked/
Passmark, first of all, is not the most reliable benchmark. It can be manipulated and it favors, heavily, certain hardware.

Secondly their results can be faked. It's community driven and monitored so the fakes get taken down eventually after enough reports, but it's easy to get them up there, sometimes for weeks.

Third, your Forbes link is a private contributor not a Forbes journalist... They can write just about anything they want... And in the end it's just an article about the articles on wccftech... No more reputable than your own post.

I'm so disappointed with you, I know you're in the industry, I expected better. I guess not.

Last edited by screwyluie; 02-12-2017 at 04:17 PM..
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #26
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I'm a general failure, it's true.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #27
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
You've said time and again Bitcoin doesn't work if it's only seen as an investment. Isn't that why you bought a shirt or something a couple years ago?

As for AMD, I had an Athlon proc in my main machine. Once. And I gave them a chance on their videocards several times over the last 20 years. And in all cases I felt I get bent over. I never felt like I had gotten anything superior in their hardware than if I'd gone intel or matrox (back in the day) or nvidia.

In fact life was usually so much worse. Their chip performance usually left much to be desired and their video drivers were late, buggy, or they'd drop support at the drop of a hat. Even when catalyst unified drivers came out (years after nvidia started unifying their Gforce drivers) they where such shit they break more than they fix. And sometimes they'd break, fix, break the SAME THING THEY JUST FIXED in the next version, and keep doing that for months on end. Fix, break, fix, break. They did this with HDMI support for nearly 6 months where every time you booted up you had to calibrate your HDMI monitors to fit the screen dimensions again because it would either display 3 inches of black bars on each side or it would blow the display area to 2x what your monitor could show.

Fuck you AMD. I doubt with how old I am you will ever see a direct cent from me ever again.
This isn't the same AMD, it is amazing what a new CEO can do.
Drivers are just as good, if not better than Nvidia's, Ryzen will be pretty good, their vid cards are good as well, and the high performance parts are just around the corner.

I own both, and these days, I have more issues with nvidia drivers than AMD's.

Just saying, you can't go by past results, Lisa, the new CEO has really turned the ship around for the better.
Raja is doing good on the GPU side of things as well.

Soon, they will have Ryzen + vega APU as well, that will be much needed in the laptop space.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #28
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Intel Kaby Lake Vs AMD Ryzen; Which processor Is The Best?

http://www.sciencetimes.com/articles...s-the-best.htm

People keep citing that wccftech report. A lot of people. Just saying....
Old 02-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #29
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Good for you, it'll fit right in with your Fox news, daily mail, and Washington Post. Hell even the inquirer gets news right from time to time.... Just saying....
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #30
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
wccftech... might as well get your news from the inquirer. Let me know when someone else leaks ryzen info

in fact I'm going to make this a formal complaint, because this is my favorite news site. wccftech should never, ever be on the front page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Hell even the inquirer gets news right from time to time.... Just saying....

That was fast.

Reminds me of Rick James and the couch.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 AM   #31
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Drivers are just as good, if not better than Nvidia's, Ryzen will be pretty good, their vid cards are good as well, and the high performance parts are just around the corner.

I own both, and these days, I have more issues with nvidia drivers than AMD's.

Just saying, you can't go by past results, Lisa, the new CEO has really turned the ship around for the better.
Raja is doing good on the GPU side of things as well.

Soon, they will have Ryzen + vega APU as well, that will be much needed in the laptop space.
I have a friend who STILL can't get the new Deus Ex to run well on his AMD GPU. Has run fine on my Nvidia card since launch. So yeah, it is not all sunshine and unicorns on the AMD side nowadays. I have gone down their dark road myself multiple times. In the end, the Intel/Nvidia combo has proven to be more stable and robust.

But if AMD is bringing some actual competition, that is good. Only helps consumers in the end on both sides.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:32 AM   #32
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Three Official CPU Coolers for AMD Ryzen CPUs Revealed - Updated Wraith, 95W and 65W

Quote:
The official CPU coolers bundled in with AMD’s upcoming Ryzen lineup have been leaked. A total of three coolers are going to be available, designed for 65W Ryzen processors, 95W TDP, and a High Performance Ryzen Wraith cooler for those looking to push things a little further with their overclocking.
http://www.game-debate.com/news/2229...th-95w-and-65w
Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #33
brandonjclark
Subscriber

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Score Surfaces In SANDRA Benchmarks Taking On Intel Kaby Lake Read

Sandra benchies on the 1700x!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #34
brandonjclark
Subscriber

New AMD Ryzen details and pricing leaks - PC Gamer

PC Gamer

Quote:
There have been quite a few potential leaks in relation to AMD's upcoming Ryzen CPUs. I held off posting some of the latest rumors pending additional details, and those have now arrived. These latest leaks add further fuel to the Ryzen fire.

First, some benchmarks were posted for AMD's Ryzen CPU in the Passmark database, apparently courtesy of German system builder BoostBoxx. The specific Ryzen model is ZD3406BAM88F4_38/34_Y—quite the complex naming scheme at first glance. Digging into the details, this is the 8C/16T (8-core/16-thread) Ryzen part, with a base clock of 3.4GHz and a turbo clock of 3.8GHz. This is still a pre-release sample, but the B-stepping suggests it should be indicative of final retail performance. Of course there's a catch.

The test system from BoostBoxx uses a GTX 1080 graphics card, but it pairs that with an MSI A320M Pro-VD motherboard and 16GB DDR4-2400 memory. This is essentially an OEM build, which are often price optimized in ways that don't always make sense. In this case, using the entry-level AMD AM4 chipset, the A320, may hinder performance slightly, and the same goes for the DDR4-2400 17-17-17 RAM, but it's important to keep the big picture in mind.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #35
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Finally, a real article with proper details, explanations, and sources from people who actually know what the fuck they're talking about

Looking at those scores makes me more excited for the idea of a hyper threaded i5 7600k than ryzen, but I suppose will wait and see how it all pans out
Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #36
Anenome
Autarchist

What about tri-clock? Does Intel still have an advantage from 3-phase timing or w/e it's called? Did AMD ever have an answer to that?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #37
Anenome
Autarchist

Hmm, that article, Ryzen wins every other slide then is middle of the pack on the others, what accounts for that. Weird.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 AM   #38
screwyluie
Evil Dead

As the article explains, it's synthetic benchmarking so it's going to very specifically test individual features. Some CPUs are better at one thing or another. Intel has always been good at single thread processing. Amd is better at math (which is why you use amd GPUs for Bitcoin mining and encryption cracking).
Old 02-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #39
brandonjclark
Subscriber

I think those latest tests show that Ryzen will become quite the value.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #40
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
A new CEO can stop things like selling SnapDragon(the mobile SoC that dominates the planet) for $65 million, she can't reverse the stupidity of the entire company in such a short period of time, it isn't possible.

Quote:
Drivers are just as good, if not better than Nvidia's
That is so wrong..... wow. You know why AMD gets humiliated in so many DX11 games, while they see soring performance with DX12 while nVidia sees the opposite? It's because DX11 is heavily driver dependent, and nVidia smokes devs on squeezing out maximum performance *most* of the time while AMD fails horribly *most* of the time.

Quote:
their vid cards are good as well
Again, seriously? Titan XP versus RX 480... yeah, that's close. Their video cards aren't good, they aren't even OK, they are bad bordering on terrible- but they are really, really cheap for the die size/power consumption bracket they are in. That doesn't make them good, just cheap.

Quote:
Just saying, you can't go by past results
No, not only can you go by past results, it is the only non insane way of making a rational judgement. The fact that they are still dropping tons of resources on their disgustingly anti consumer viral marketing slime balls says they aren't really trying to change too much.

When they stop pushing half witted idiots to destroy tech communities with their insane lies- all paid for and scripted by AMD, maybe we can consider the fact that they are taking engineering seriously.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benchmark, cpu, intel, passmark, ryzen