Last post by blackzc
Today 11:58 AM
13 Replies, 613 Views

Old 05-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

'The Last of Us Part II' Leak Did Not Come From Naughty Dog Studio

Quote:
Earlier this week, assets from the upcoming game were circulated online, spoiling major plot points.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is putting to rest rumors that this week's The Last of Us Part II leaks — which included assets from the upcoming game that revealed key plot points and its ending — came from an internal source at developer Naughty Dog.

"SIE has identified the primary individuals responsible for the unauthorized release of TLOU2 assets. They are not affiliated with Naughty Dog or SIE," Sony said in a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

Shortly after the leaks began circulating online earlier this week, rumors began to fly that the assets were shared by a disgruntled employee at Naughty Dog's studio. The leaks prompted Sony to set a final release date for the anticipated new game, which had been postponed "indefinitely" in early April (the game is now set for launch on June 19).

Sony did not share further information on the leaker, stating that the "information is subject to an on-going investigation."
Hollywood Reporter.

Now that it is pretty much confirmed that the storyline is left-leaning political garbage, I'm giving this game a hard pass. Push your agenda somewhere else, I will give my money to someone else.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

"Not affiliated" could mean it was a contractor who wouldn't officially be part of Naughty Dog or SIE.

Many companies use these "not our employee!" lines when dealing with contractors. Look at how Infinity Ward deflected the "QA works overtime++ and we treat QA like 3rd class citizens" scandal by saying something along the lines of "We treat all Infinity Ward employees really well!" while not acknowledging the 95% of their QA team are contractors rather than Infinity Ward employees.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

The best summary I have seen of this debacle has been this:

NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
walstib
Evil Dead

that was great!

and now i will avoid this game. not interested in being force fed anyone’s agenda...
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Wow, I have no words. After watching the video above I dove deeper and if Naughty Dog hadn't confirmed the leak was accurate I would have said it was bullshit, but they confirmed the spoilers with their "Please go on mute and stay away from spoilers" type tweets.

I don't care so much for Last of Us, I've owned it twice and barely played it, but if these decisions are coming from their VP it means all of their future games will be infected too and that's a sad thing for a company which was one of the rarified few.

Unless, of course, they change it in the next few months via a Day One patch or the sales and feedback is so terrible they fire the people responsible.

Unfortunately we have a gaming press, now infesting the "mainstream" press with Forbes and Bloomberg covering gaming, that is utterly complicit (very few of the main sites covered much of the leak - and if they did it was to condemn it until the official Sony "green light" then there was a FLOOD of articles) and will write no end of praiseworthy articles to signal ALL their virtues.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead

So I read the spoilers and I didn't see anything left leaning, the plot just sounded terrible in general.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Wow, I have no words.
I love this post. You led with this, then...continued. A lot. Well done, sir!

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:03 AM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I loved Naughty Dog back in the PS1 and PS2 days (even liked Way of the Warrior on the 3DO) but I never owned the PS3 so I came to the party very late on the Uncharted franchise. And I really liked those games but they were almost more theme park ride than game. And I noticed this especially when I'd finish one game, I'd kind of be happy it was done. It was enjoyable but I didn't want it to go on anymore. But I liked the characters they built and the environments were beautiful and stories were at least fun. But you could see exactly what they were doing with Nadine in Uncharted 4. It wasn't that she was competent. She absolutely dominated Nathan Drake in single combat (or was it two on one in his favor? I forget) in a way that was meant to make a point. No problem except that they established through three other games that Nathan Drake was basically an engine of murder. You kill people by the hundreds in these games and a lot of the time, I would do so by hand so I didn't run out of ammo. I'd wade through armies of mercenaries armed with nothing more than my fists and they rarely stood a chance. And it didn't bother me that Nathan lost the fight to Nadine. It bothered me because it was so painfully obvious what they were doing. They took a fun lighthearted and maybe even empty headed adventure series and started preaching with it. So when I finished off Uncharted 4, I kind of checked out. Everyone was telling me to pick up Last of Us but it just didn't look like something I'd enjoy and I had heard the rumblings of how Naughty Dog was laying the groundwork of their preachiness. So I can't help but smirk at these public relations issues they're having. I want the lower level employees to do well but this Druckman guy looks like an ass. I still bet the game will do well but the damage will be done and he'll leave for other ventures since the Naughty Dog that people loved is likely already on the permanent decline.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
CitizenZero
Patient Zero

I couldn't take it anymore and decided to read the leaked plot points. Welp, that preorder is now cancelled.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Aerol901
Knight

The story that was leaked is a horrible, cringy mess.

I won't be seeking this one out. I think it's safe to say this "franchise" is dead.
Aerol901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
Scherge
Evil Dead

Huh. Guess I'll have to finish "Uncharted 4" one of these days, then. Never cared enough about "The Last of Us" (own it on both PS3 and PS4, the latter via PS+) to play it for more than the prologue, but I loved Uncharted and its main characters.

Not to derail the thread, but I'll have to mention this: I've played U4 past the fight that everyone seems to be losing their shit over, and I didn't think it was a big deal. It WAS highly annoying, and I hated that Naughty Dog made me play an unwinnable sequence, because that's just bad design, in my opinion. However, I've hated many elements in U3 much more than this particular 2-minute QTE. Uncharted 3 had gorgeous visuals, but shit gameplay and so many cheap enemies and stupid scenes (all the drugged ones, for example) that I felt immensely relieved when I finally beat that super-hyper-turbo-annoying end boss, vowing never to come back.

To me, Uncharted 2 is the undisputed highlight in the series, but for the record: I liked what I played of Uncharted 4 a ton more than the entirety of Uncharted 3. Hearing now that (apparently) everyone loved Uncharted 3 and hated Uncharted 4 surprises me to no end.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I don't think that the fight really did make everyone lose their shit that much. As I said, it was obvious that they were basically preaching with it but mostly, it was a dumb and annoying part in an otherwise fun game. I think the problem is that the powers that be at Naughty Dog wanted to make a bit of an issue that people disliked this particular part. When people preach like this, they either want you to like their preaching or they want you to hate it so they can point out your shortcomings as a person. And they won't really permit you to fall anywhere in the middle.
Chief Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

This wasn't on my radar to begin with. I just never enjoyed the first game. I tried to play it a few times, but just got bored.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #14
Judas
Evil Dead

I thought TLOU was awesome. The characters were the high point for sure. I've purposely avoided any spoilers for TLOU2. The new trailers make combat look really visceral and the stealth gameplay from dogs searching for Ellie looks to be gripping.
Reading into some comments about left leaning content is disheartening, much in the same way that games portray same sex relationships.
I hope the bigger picture of TLOU2 supercedes a snippet of leaked storyline. Taken alone, it may be different than the sum of it's parts.
Very much looking forward to this release. Naughty Dog have become masters at their craft with each title they release. I don't condone games as a vehicle to promote social agendas and think it's not a good practice for young minds looking to formulate personal truths. What if you learned Mario was an SS NAZI working in concentration camps saying "Arbeit macht frei" Would that be ok for your children?
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:51 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
I don't condone games as a vehicle to promote social agendas and think it's not a good practice for young minds looking to formulate personal truths. What if you learned Mario was an SS NAZI working in concentration camps saying "Arbeit macht frei" Would that be ok for your children?
It's not as if comics, cartoons, TV shows, movies, books, music, and other forms of media haven't been promoting various messages for decades. Why should games be any different?

Besides, the "Think of the children!" argument doesn't really hold any water when you're taking about an M-rated game that isn't intended for an audience under 17. Will kids end up playing it? Sure, just like they'll end up seeing R-rated movies before they're "old enough". This doesn't change the fact that they're not - nor were they ever - the intended audience for this particular game.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Does Sony delay the Last of Us II due to riots? Man, what a tough decision!

How can they capitalize on Pride Month by releasing a love letter to the LGBT community in the form of TLoU2 when these darn black people are sucking up all the pity oxygen?

Poor Sony.

Tags
the last of us 2