Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Transylmania
Yesterday 01:29 AM
6 Replies, 687 Views

Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Pokemon Go Fest Attendees File Class-Action Against Niantic

The Pokemon Go Fest drama continues as some attendees filed a class-action suit looking to recoup their travel expenses. VG247 has the story.

Quote:
The issues Niantic Labs faced last weekend during Pokemon Go Fest aren’t over just yet.

A group of Pokemon Go players who attended Pokemon Go Fest in Chicago’s Grant Park have filed a class-action suit against Niantic Labs, hoping to recoup travel expenses.

The suit was filed by a person from California who traveled to Chicago for the event, and forced to stand in line for “several hours like most everybody else in order to get in,” and once inside, experienced connection issues, latency, and game crashes making the game unplayable.

Ninatic offered compensation by refunding everyone the admission price of $20, $100 worth of PokeCoins and the Legendary Pokemon Lugia. The company also extended the ability for all Pokemon Global Rewards unlocked during Pokemon Go Fest to be claimed.

That wasn’t enough for some, though, as “20 or 30” others have joined the class-action suit, according to Chicago-based attorney Thomas Zimmerman.

“[The client] paid to fly out for the festival,” Zimmerman told Polygon. “We’re not seeking any relief with respect to the failure to get legendary Pokemon, because Niantic is offering that, but Niantic is not offering to refund people’s travel expenses for coming to Chicago.

“Most of the people came from out of state, many people from other countries — I talked to someone who flew in from Japan.”

Zimmerman said the class-action suit is asking for money spent on travel to be recouped, as “promises” made by Niantic “were not kept.”
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I'm on the fence here because Niantic well and truly fucked up but they basically gave everything back, gave everyone money, gave everyone the legendary... should they also now be forced to pay back the travel because people had a bad time?

I'm pretty sure Niantic didn't make any "promises" they can be held to. They have tons of ToS/EULA, event agreements, ticket stub language, and so on indemnifying them from all this stuff. It likely won't matter if it goes to a Jury though because FEELZ but I hope it does. Not all juries are dumb.

That said I'm glad the suit isn't also trying to go for "damages" as well. That seems reasonable considering Niantic basically already bent over backward to compensate players.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Xqa
Reaper

If you traveled more than like some weekend road trip that wasnt a big deal to this, your a moron. I have zero pity for you, zip, zilch, nadda. After a certain point you have to accept that gaming is more or less a huge time and money sink, sometimes you enjoy it, sometimes you dont.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqa View Post
If you traveled more than like some weekend road trip that wasnt a big deal to this, your a moron. I have zero pity for you, zip, zilch, nadda. After a certain point you have to accept that gaming is more or less a huge time and money sink, sometimes you enjoy it, sometimes you dont.
What if you traveled for Sundance and only one of the theaters worked, or Comic-con but it got flooded out, or Blizzcon but they cancelled all the tournaments? These are also hobby driven events that started with hobby level production values.

There are certain expectations and it's not necessarily unfair to hold the company to account for those expectations no matter what the miles or how large the event.

Niadtic fucked up, but I think we both agree they didn't do it to the point these people get their travel money back. If I reserved a room in the only hotel in Fiji that could get the Superbowl so I could watch it over my vacation but for some reason it doesn't work I don't get to sue the hotel for all my travel expenses due to that disappointment. At least that's my opinion, I Am No A Lawyer (Rommy likes it better when you abbreviate that as "IANAL").
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqa View Post
When you charge admission for an event, it comes with the expectation of the service you're paying for will be delivered. Even though this is a start-up event, it's in the very same position as Comic Con, PAX or any other major event. Niantic clearly intended for people to travel for this event; if you look on the event's page, they even included a list of six "host hotels" for the event, all of which were offering discounts specifically for people travelling.

It's one thing for there to be hiccups and issues at any event of this nature; shit happens. In this particular case, the entire thing was broken from the get-go and is easily classifiable as an unmitigated failure. Asking for travel expenses to be reimbursed isn't necessarily unreasonable in this particular instance.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Instead, they should stop giving niantic money.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Instead, they should stop giving niantic money.
Yeah, that too.

Tags
niantic, pokemon go