30 Replies, 2,016 Views
Pure Evil - Weekend...
Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 07:47 PM
4 Replies, 623 Views

Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

Starlink: Battle for Atlas - Ubisoft Take on the Toy to Life Market?

Quote:
JOIN THE FIGHT

Starlink: Battle for Atlas is a new action-adventure game where you assemble a custom starship mounted to your game controller to launch into an interplanetary adventure.

Lead a group of heroic interstellar pilots who use modular starships to mix and match their unique gear and skills on the fly. Travel the star system to unite the galaxy against villainous destructive forces.

Build. Battle. Win.

Mix and match pilots, hulls, wings, and weapons to build the starship of your dreams with an unprecedented level of customization and creativity. Changes to your physical starship are instantly reflected in your gameplay experience, allowing you to immediately jump into the battle.

Creative Combat

Build your own playstyle with unique pilot abilities and weapon configurations to overcome deadly challenges.

Open, living star system!

Travel seamlessly through the 7 exotic alien worlds of the Atlas Star System, a galaxy full of unique challenges to encounter and overcome. Plus, fly directly from the planet into space for more battles, then head back to another world when you're ready.

This one took me by surprise, wasn't aware they are into this Toys-to-Life market!

Passed through many Toys-to-Life games in my life due to the toys, they were neat, but game-play was always lacking.

In this one I like the theme, the design is nice, prices probably won't be cheap but what I wait to see is gameplay, if it's good, I'm willing to jump in, if it's childish, maybe in two years when it's super bargain for everything.

http://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/starlink

p.s.
Member since 2011, this is my first post, read the rules, hope I got it all right.
DrizziTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrizziTx View Post
Member since 2011, this is my first post, read the rules, hope I got it all right.
UberLurk
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I saw this at PAX.. it has absolutely zero appeal, and Toys to Life has been more or less milked to death (as usual) and is now deader than plastic instruments!

I don't know what they were thinking. Probably some exec gave the green light during the height of the craze and they think it its cheaper now to try to get some of the money back vs scrapping it.

I don't know who this is for. Unlike previous toys to life, this has no appeal to children yet it too childish for adults.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
UberLurk
Well, it's his first NEWS post. He does have a paltry 279 normal posts.
Me, I'm too lazy. Maybe one day when I hit 20K posts.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
DrizziTx
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
UberLurk
lol

@ElektroDragon I somewhat agree with what you said, that's why I was surprised and thought "ok , benefit of the doubt, maybe they gave it an appealing twist" ... most likely not

well it's their money
Old 09-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I don't know who this is for. Unlike previous toys to life, this has no appeal to children yet it too childish for adults.
I thought so too, until I saw Fox McCloud in a Treehouse video. It's basically "No Man's Sky" on the Switch, with added "Star Fox" characters!

As for the game itself: I find the concept disgusting. This is pay-to-win in the most obvious form imaginable. Plus, since Ubisoft has a long-standing relationship with Nintendo, you can be sure that there will be even more trinkets (like official Amiibos) on the Switch. Then again, this might be just what their target audience craves...
Old 09-11-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I saw this at PAX.. it has absolutely zero appeal, and Toys to Life has been more or less milked to death (as usual) and is now deader than plastic instruments!
I saw this at PAX also. I think I confused it with the space game Bethesda announced at E3. I was thinking I'll be buying this in October. I even saw the toys at PAX, but somehow I just thought they were based on the game, not required to play it.

So yeah, I'm out. I'm done with the toys to life genre. I have boxes of Lego Dimesions and Disney Infinity characters that are a constant reminder of what a money pit these types of games are.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

most of these ships are ugly. The game doesn't look that interesting. I didn't ever jump on the toys to life fad. I don't see how this doesn't flop. That 1st skylanders game looked fun as an actual game. Disney had characters people like. What does this have? The last good star fox game was like 20 years ago. Do kids today even know who star fox is?
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I saw this at PAX also.
Aww man, we should have met up! I managed to win a Switch from the Diablo Treasure Hunt and a free year of Xbox Game Pass. Best PAX haul ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I have boxes of Lego Dimesions and Disney Infinity characters that are a constant reminder of what a money pit these types of games are.
Ha! Join the club. At least they make decent toys for my kids. Sort of. I also have boxes of Skylanders. It was nice when Best Buy was giving 20% off all toys to life with GCU, but now that they killed that program.... fogeddaboudit.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #10
thatlukeguy
Soul Reaper

Wasn't sure what Toys-to-life was so looked it up on wikipedia:

"Toys-to-life is a video game feature using physical figurines or action figures to interact within the game.[1] These toys use a near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or image recognition data protocol to determine the individual figurine's proximity, and save a player's progress data to a storage medium located within that piece.[2] It is one of the most lucrative branches of the video game industry, with the Skylanders franchise alone selling more than $3 billion worth over the course of four years."

So that's probably why they are getting into that market. Kinda like some companies dropped PC development and started to focus on mobile.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatlukeguy View Post
Wasn't sure what Toys-to-life was so looked it up on wikipedia:

"Toys-to-life is a video game feature using physical figurines or action figures to interact within the game.[1] These toys use a near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or image recognition data protocol to determine the individual figurine's proximity, and save a player's progress data to a storage medium located within that piece.[2] It is one of the most lucrative branches of the video game industry, with the Skylanders franchise alone selling more than $3 billion worth over the course of four years."

So that's probably why they are getting into that market. Kinda like some companies dropped PC development and started to focus on mobile.
Unfortunately for them, it seems like they're coming on board during the downward swing of the "Toys to Life" craze; Disney and Lego canceled their lines, Nintendo's amiibos have all but disappeared from store shelves and the last Skylanders release was in 2016. Much like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad, they burned hot and fast; they made a ton of money over a few short years, then disappeared just as quickly.

The only one that seems to be getting continued support is the amiibo line, but even that is limited to around three figures per game. This could change with Smash Bros, but virtually of the stores that used to dedicate 4' to 8' feet of shelf space to them have reduced things to just a handful of pegs. I don't see 'em making much of a resurgence.

I don't think this will be a successful venture for them, ultimately.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I don't care about Toys-to-life, but the gameplay actually doesn't look all that bad

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

That UI is horrendous... and why was the dialogue repeated twice (13:34 and 14:16) during that hands-on gameplay?
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
That UI is horrendous... and why was the dialogue repeated twice (13:34 and 14:16) during that hands-on gameplay?
My guess on both counts- It's an unfinished product?

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote