Last post by Chimpbot
Yesterday 10:38 AM
1 Replies, 208 Views

Old 12-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The Mandalorian is a one-off accident that will be quickly buried in a mountain of Disney shit.
If they're smart and put Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni in more prominent positions within Lucasfilm, it won't just be a one-off success. If they end up replacing Kathleen Kennedy with them, then Star Wars could actually be in good shape moving forward.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
If they're smart and put Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni in more prominent positions within Lucasfilm, it won't just be a one-off success. If they end up replacing Kathleen Kennedy with them, then Star Wars could actually be in good shape moving forward.
Favreau has proved to them multiple times that he can deliver big box office success on a really small budget. He is going to be their go-to guy for a lot of stuff moving forward I think.

His Jungle Book movie made big bucks and had a super tiny budget. We saw it, it wasn't bad, but the animation was fantastic and when you watch the making-of stuff, you can see it's just the one actor. So, the budget was super tiny.

Now he has done it again with Mandalorian and he was really the driving success behind the beginning Marvel movies. If Iron Man had sucked, they would have been dead in the water like the DC movies are now.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #23
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

There's an accusation going around that Rotten Tomatoes has frozen the audience score on the movie or somehow rigged the score to keep the user review score at a high, static, number.

The audience score is 86% with nearly 40,000 reviews. It was also 86% with 12,000 reviews. It is statistically improbably for the score not to change even 1% over the course of 25,000 reviews.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #24
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I wonder what RT will do? IMDB just switched off their forums to keep the cash pouring in.

Plus... reviewers not even watching a show and then writing a negative review? (The Witcher)

Last edited by excalibur1814; 12-24-2019 at 03:15 PM..
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #25
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

I hope the movie is more fun than the last one, which was painful to watch. I agree jarjar + phantom menace or whatever is no longer the worst star wars movie !
I will download/stream the new one eventually but have a feeling i will be disappointed. oh well.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #26
Primus
Valar Morghulis

It was shit, but it is a tall order repairing the aftermath of TLJ.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #27
Skunk
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Favreau has proved to them multiple times that he can deliver big box office success on a really small budget.

Now he has done it again with Mandalorian and he was really the driving success behind the beginning Marvel movies. If Iron Man had sucked, they would have been dead in the water like the DC movies are now.
TTTHHIISSSS

For my money, this Star Wars was good, not great. I liked it just fine for trying to get back on track. I agree with those who have said it had a long bridge to cross due to the damage TLJ inflicted.

Honestly? Fuck that guy. Nobody is going to see Star Wars to have that universe shaken up. The whole thing works as fan service, cause that's all the fans ever actually wanted. If he hadn't dicked up the 8th movie, the 9th could have been a Fanservice Masterpiece.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #28
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Having re-watched TLJ in prep for ROS today, I have to say TLJ is my favorite of the new series. For the first time Luke was a believable human not some kind of Superman boyscout BS. If you want a comic movie, go see a damn comic book movie.

NOW SPOILERS AHEAD!

Goddamit I got all excited when I thought for a second that Rey WAS gonna turn to the darkside and become this new Empress while Kylo Ren was going to be the redeemed Jedi, the Luke replacement to take her on in a new trilogy. Sadly, identity politics would never allow such a killer surprise outcome.

I like ROS overall, but due to JJ involvement, it was a fanservice rehash instead of the fresh bold ideas that Rian Johnson brought to the table. Actually it was really damn funny how JJ pretended to be Rian Johnson twice in this movie to fuck with fan's minds only to be like "hahah, just kidding I would never" (re: death of Chewie, Rey joining the Darkside)
Old 12-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #29
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Having re-watched TLJ in prep for ROS today, I have to say TLJ is my favorite of the new series. For the first time Luke was a believable human not some kind of Superman boyscout BS. If you want a comic movie, go see a damn comic book movie.
So, your favorite movie is the one where the women make ungodly stupid decisions all movie that ends up getting thousands of people killed including the star of the movie?

That explains a lot.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #30
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
TTTHHIISSSS

For my money, this Star Wars was good, not great. I liked it just fine for trying to get back on track. I agree with those who have said it had a long bridge to cross due to the damage TLJ inflicted.

Honestly? Fuck that guy. Nobody is going to see Star Wars to have that universe shaken up. The whole thing works as fan service, cause that's all the fans ever actually wanted. If he hadn't dicked up the 8th movie, the 9th could have been a Fanservice Masterpiece.
The new movie was pretty good. There is a lot of fan service, but there was a lot of fan service in The Force Awakens too and much like that film, tons of what happens in this movie is really just stuff ripped out of the original trilogy.

Which is fine, because you can see from The Last Jedi that doing something retarded with the characters didn't work. I guess there was fan service in The Last Jedi... someone was obviously a fan of OJ Simpson's low-speed Bronco chase.

A lot of what happens is damage control for sure. Even having Palpatine as the main villain was damage control for Rian Johnson killing off Snoke. And, the other Palpatine moment was also obviously not pre-planned, it was a direct refutation of Kylo Ren saying that Rey's parents were "nobody" when it was kinda obvious from the beginning that they intended her to be Luke's daughter -- making Kylo Ren her cousin and having a logical explanation for them having a "connection".

It's almost like the opposite of what happened in the Lucas trilogy. Here, they took two characters who should have been related and made them lovers, where in Lucas' trilogy they took two characters who were lovers and made them family.

Both kinda creepy.

We really enjoyed the movie, it isn't great. But, it's like 1000% better than the last film. I think that had they just let JJ Abrams direct all three movies, we might have had a really solid series here. Not amazing, but still good. Instead we got one flat-out horrible movie that isn't even watchable and two movies that were "good but not great".

I'll be anxiously awaiting Jon Farveau's next Star Wars project.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #31
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

It was good, but unfortunately it wasn't the great movie I was hoping based on the reviews. I understand that Carrie Fisher died and they had to recycle old scenes, but all of the Leia scenes were incredibly awkward and not very good. They should have just written her out at the beginning or something.

Also ... well, this sums it up for me really good (warning, this gives away the entire plot so don't watch unless you have already seen it or don't care):

Old 12-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

What's sad to me is people clinging to calling a movie good, when it clearly isn't just because it's a beloved IP.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #33
Luncian
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
What's sad to me is people clinging to calling a movie good, when it clearly isn't just because it's a beloved IP.
Egg-zacly! Just because I like puppies doesn't mean I have to like a movie just because it has puppies in it. And if the movie written by, directed by, starred by, and about nothing but puppies, and I happen to not like it, it doesn't speak to anything about me being pro- or anti- puppy. Maybe it was just a really, really shitty movie and should be judged on that metric alone.
Luncian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #34
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
If Iron Man had sucked, they would have been dead in the water like the DC movies are now.
Like DC movies are now? Joker made a billion, before that Shazam made 3.5 times it's budget back, before that Aquaman made a billion...with the exception of the butchered Justice League crafted by WB execs and Joss Whedon, all the DC films have been very successful, and if you compare them 1:1 with Marvel films in the order they have come out DC films wipe the floor with them financially.

I get that JL was trash but that has been the exception. Even Suicide Squad made a shitload of money. No offense intended, I'm just acutely aware of this topic.

ROS was way better than TLJ. TLJ was the worst travesty I've seen happen to a franchise (even worse than JL because at least that one has the excuse that the director had to leave due to tragedy). So it would've been tough to disappoint further after that.

However, at the end of the film I thought to myself "that wasn't too bad for a Star Wars movie." Then was immediately saddened by that thought. They have fallen so low in recent years. TFA was mediocre, but I thought it could've been a fine start to the new trilogy, depending on what came next. Then what came next was a slap in the face, followed by another "fine" movie. There was cool stuff in ROS, but still plenty of problems.

Oh well, it's Disney.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #35
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Just got back. LOVED IT! Not even kidding; walking out of the theater I was happy with what I had seen.

Now I'm sure while my memories marinate and I read the internet I'll like it less but I thought it was a great Star Wars movie. Maybe my expectations were so low it couldn't be a disappointment.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #36
Syloney
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
....... They should have just written her out at the beginning or something.
I am of a different opinion on this.

Her old scenes did not need to be recycled. Yes! I concur as well it was sad she passed away, and it should have been accepted. In doing so, would be respecting her memory and legacy, case closed. Her scenes here were poorly done whatever way one looks at it. I do have to wonder how it turned out like so and thus getting approved. In my opinion a replacement actress should have been brought in. It's been done before, from the top of my head, the Oracle from The Matrix and Dumbledore from Harry potter.

People would understand, we are all mortal beings on this plane till we depart eventually.

Last edited by Syloney; 12-25-2019 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: grammar
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Meh, I think it's okay to use the IP as a qualifier when discussing certain movies. As a fan of the Godzilla series, for example, I regularly use phrases like, "It was good for a Godzilla movie" when talking about 'em. Case in point: King of the Monsters wasn't really a great movie, but it was a perfectly fine Godzilla movie. Most of the plot was structured specifically to get the monsters together for their big brawls...and that's okay, because that's what I ultimately paid to see. Some of the entries in the series are legitimately good movies, but many of them are good when taken within the context of the series or genre (and some are just downright awful...but that's a story for another day).

Star Wars is very much in the same boat, really. The series has always been lauded for its impact on special effects, but no one ever claimed any of the movies were Shakespeare when it came to the writing. Even the best of the movies have clunky dialogue and plot contrivances necessary to get from Point A to Point B...and that's okay.

Ep9 was a good Star Wars movie; it's certainly a far cry better than Last Jedi or Attack of the Clones, when compared to main entries in the series. ESB, RotS, and Rogue One are still my top three, but Ep9 is one I certainly wouldn't mind rewatching. I had fun and enjoyed it, which is all I really ask for when it comes to a series like this. Was it a great movie when taken by itself? Naw, not really. Most of the series isn't, though. For me, it achieved the minimum threshold I have for the series; it felt like a Star Wars movie, at the end of the day.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #38
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

What I find funny is that you really don't even need to have seen The Last Jedi. They did such a good job of just un-writing most of that movie that you really could watch just the two films and know what was going on.

I am burned up that they only released that Palpatine message in Fortnite. That's just dumb, the bulk of the world hasn't seen it or heard of it and in a few years no one will even remember what Fortnite was, but people will be buying this movie on disc or digital for decades -- and it's missing an important scene.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #39
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
I am burned up that they only released that Palpatine message in Fortnite. That's just dumb, the bulk of the world hasn't seen it or heard of it and in a few years no one will even remember what Fortnite was, but people will be buying this movie on disc or digital for decades -- and it's missing an important scene.
Fortunately, there is YouTube:

Old 12-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #40
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
The new movie was pretty good. There is a lot of fan service, but there was a lot of fan service in The Force Awakens too and much like that film, tons of what happens in this movie is really just stuff ripped out of the original trilogy...
It's surprising how many people see this as a negative and are surprised by this... There is no escaping fan service when the story is set in a timeline that still has the same characters from the original trilogy. It's going to happen and it's what fans expect(which is why most fans shit on TLJ). I can completely respect what Johnson was doing. Trying to mix it up. Subvert expectations... I get it.. But with characters that were so ingrained in folks minds and imaginations? Yeah... no thanks... To me, if they really wanted to mix it up, they should have just jumped 100 plus years into the future. New characters, new everything. Keep the Force in play, Jedi, Sith... sure. It would have been the only way to please most people because you could have left classic characters alone. The Jedi(or whoever the good guys are) need something new. A new threat. I always liked the "Something deep from the Unknown Regions.." arch in some of the old Legend stories. Hopefully the new arch coming in 4 or 5 years will mix it up with something like that. Also I thought the Force Dyad was actually pretty cool. Would be cool if they took that and expanded on it with twins. One dark, one light. Not a Skywalker or Palpatine. haha

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart