The Sisters Brothers...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:46 AM
1 Replies, 211 Views

Old 04-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

As LawBreakers Struggles Continue, Dev Addresses Its Future

From the Cliff Bleszinski files. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
In a message on its official website, Boss Key admitted that it hasn't spoken about the game in some time, describing the last four months as "especially trying, as we pride ourselves at being communicative and transparent."

"So here is the very real truth, which may not come as a surprise," it said. "The fact is LawBreakers failed to find enough of an audience to generate the funds necessary to keep it sustained in the manner we had originally planned for and anticipated. And while a pivot to free-to-play may seem like [the] easiest change to make, a change of this magnitude takes publishing planning and resources to do it."

While this sounds like the preface for Boss Key announcing that it is ending support for the game, the studio says it's "determined to give this game the second life it deserves." Due to the need to keep the company afloat, though, this won't be its sole focus moving forward.

"[B]etween now and then, we cannot sit idle," the message said. "We will continue to support the game in its current state, but we also need to focus on other projects with fresh creative leaders. We have been working on something new and we can't wait to share more about it! It's a passion project that we're in complete control of.

LawBreakers is an arena shooter in the mold of something like Unreal Tournament or Quake but with a class-based system. It was the first game released by Boss Key, the studio founded by Cliff Bleszinski, the ex-Epic Games developer best known for his work on Unreal Tournament and Gears of War. The game debuted on PC and PS4 last August and immediately struggled to grab much of audience, with its playerbase quickly dwindling. Bleszinski has spoken out on his desire to save the game, though fellow co-founder Arjan Brussee left the studio to return to Epic.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
Exodus
Evil Dead

That's rough. Arjan is lucky to be able to go back to epic while it's on such a high also. Confirming they left on good terms so no big deal.

Also shows they did nothing with the community feedback and realized they're a dinosaur in design thinking also.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Meeks
Evil Dead

This game would definitely have been in the LAN party game rotation 20 years ago!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
That's rough. Arjan is lucky to be able to go back to epic while it's on such a high also. Confirming they left on good terms so no big deal.

Also shows they did nothing with the community feedback and realized they're a dinosaur in design thinking also.
I don't know if that's quite true. I think at least part of the problem was them half chasing old school design and half chasing trend-driven design decisions. It's a thing nobody was asking for. If they hadn't tried to make this An overwatch clone, I would have been interested. But these online games are either hits or misses, which is a bIzarre and risky way to make games.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I don't know if that's quite true. I think at least part of the problem was them half chasing old school design and half chasing trend-driven design decisions. It's a thing nobody was asking for. If they hadn't tried to make this An overwatch clone, I would have been interested. But these online games are either hits or misses, which is a bIzarre and risky way to make games.
Right. I'm sure if fortnite failed you'd be saying the same thing. "If they hadn't tried to make this a pubg clone, I would have been interested.". If they didn't make it a ow clone what would it be? A standard shooter UT/Quake Arena?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #6
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Games are tough. I really enjoyed Battleborn but that didn't really last either. This game is going Battle Royale, just watch.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

What I got a chuckle out of this morning is that this very "announcement" shows that CliffyB still hasn't learned his lesson.

They produced this press release like there is still some big audience out there playing this game that needed to know that they are giving up on it. There is an average of 1 - ONE - person playing this game at any given time.

There is no audience who cares enough about this title for them to put out a press release about it. They still don't get that idea, that no one cares about this game now or ever cared about it.

I remember when they were releasing gameplay videos for this game and their own YouTube channel was only getting like 100 views on each video. That should have been their first clue that they were going in the wrong direction and needed to re-think what they were doing before releasing.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
Rommel
International Playboy

DOTA2, Overwatch, League of Legends--All games that rely on traditional gameplay with the edition of "Hero" or "Class" mechanics. Wildly successful.

Battborn, Lawbreakers--games that rely on traditional gameplay with the edition of "Hero" or "Class" mechanics. Terribly unsuccessful.

What's the difference? Charm! Lawbreakers heroes all look the same, without life or personality. Overwatch characters are bright and colorful, arguing with each other in perfectly voiced lines and spouting catchphrases. I know we've all met people in love with LoL heroes or, at the very least, masturbated to some of them. Unless your game has the charm factor, you will not survive if pitted in direct competition to ones that do.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Totally agree. Lawbreakers always looked horribly generic. And while Battleborn had it's own "style" the characters also just weren't interesting enough to make you want to try the game. A penguin Mecha? I'll just pass.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Totally agree. Lawbreakers always looked horribly generic. And while Battleborn had it's own "style" the characters also just weren't interesting enough to make you want to try the game. A penguin Mecha? I'll just pass.
Battleborn spent a lot of time and effort on their characters and backstory but then made their game, modes, factions and such too stupid and had too much overhead. I bought it for $5 just to have bought it. I can't even be bothered to do the same with Lawbreakers.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Right. I'm sure if fortnite failed you'd be saying the same thing. "If they hadn't tried to make this a pubg clone, I would have been interested.". If they didn't make it a ow clone what would it be? A standard shooter UT/Quake Arena?
Iím only speaking for myself, but yeah. Absolutely. If they had made it a ďstandardĒ game like Unreal Tournament, specifically having bots, I absolutely would have played it. I play most games.

But if itís a multiplayer only game, then has to have a critical mass before most trendy gamers will even check it out. And since I donít play online, or play online as little as possible, I wonít even look at it.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

It does look generic and maybe that's the reason that I totally forgot about the game after the trailer. I just went and found some gameplay videos now and it actually looks like a fun game. It's a shame.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Iím only speaking for myself, but yeah. Absolutely. If they had made it a ďstandardĒ game like Unreal Tournament, specifically having bots, I absolutely would have played it. I play most games.

But if itís a multiplayer only game, then has to have a critical mass before most trendy gamers will even check it out. And since I donít play online, or play online as little as possible, I wonít even look at it.
I know that's why it made me laugh when you tried to weigh in on this. You're not even the demographic they were trying to hit.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
I know that's why it made me laugh when you tried to weigh in on this. You're not even the demographic they were trying to hit.
I don't think anyone is.

The general consensus seems to be 'who cares?'.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbishfoo View Post
I don't think anyone is.

The general consensus seems to be 'who cares?'.
Exactly. I AM the demographic they were trying to hit in as much as I have bought or played all the Doom/Quake/UT inspired games that have existed. The whole idea of this game was to take that gameplay and marry it to what's trendy now in game design. As a result, it speaks to no one. Not even me. Not everything goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Sometimes two great things don't mix and out off fans of both.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast

Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

So how many people play this thing at any given moment? And how can I check that out for myself on games? I'm a bit curious, in a rubber-necking kinda way...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Booda
Beam another Blast

Radical Heights
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Exactly. I AM the demographic they were trying to hit in as much as I have bought or played all the Doom/Quake/UT inspired games that have existed. The whole idea of this game was to take that gameplay and marry it to what's trendy now in game design. As a result, it speaks to no one. Not even me. Not everything goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Sometimes two great things don't mix and out off fans of both.
That's how it came off to me. The last "competitive" online shooter to hook me was Team Fortress Classic. Nothing since then. Never touched TF2. A few friends have played Lawbreakers and they claim it's very solid. Unfortunately looking at the daily peak player count they made up almost the entirety of the community. Less than 10 people playing in a 24 hour period is worse than any 20 year old FPS I can blindly chose out of a pile.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss key, lawbreakers