Yesterday 07:36 AM
19 Replies, 1,526 Views

Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Marvel’s Avengers Adds Kamala Khan

Quote:
Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan Joins Marvel's Avengers

Today at New York Comic Con 2019, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics revealed that fan-favorite Kamala Khan is the latest playable Super Hero to be featured in Marvel’s Avengers. Co-created by G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona, Sana Amanat, and Stephen Wacker, in the comics, Kamala is an enthusiastic teenager who defends her hometown Jersey City as the costumed Ms. Marvel. First appearing in Captain Marvel #14 in August 2013, Kamala quickly captured the imagination of generations of True Believers, leading to her own monthly comic series in February 2014.

A self-avowed Avengers fan, in the game’s original story, Kamala Khan must apply her intellect, optimism, and unique abilities to the task of unravelling a global conspiracy and reassembling her personal heroes in time to stop a new secretive organization, Advanced Idea Mechanics (AIM), before they unleash one of the greatest threats Earth has ever faced.

Players first encounter a young Kamala during A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco — including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Kamala is exposed to the mysterious Terrigen Mist, and finds herself developing extraordinary polymorphic powers, which she subsequently hides for years. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, Kamala uncovers a shocking conspiracy and embarks on a quest to reassemble the heroes she believes in and to become the hero she was destined to be.

Players begin the journey as Kamala Khan and learn the origins of her extraordinary powers. As the story expands, Kamala plays an essential role in bringing the disbanded Avengers back together. As each Super Hero is added to the roster, players must master all of their unique abilities, rebuild and customize the Avengers team to face increasingly growing threats only the Avengers together can defeat.

“An optimistic fan girl of the Avengers, Kamala Khan is the perfect character for the story we’re telling in Marvel’s Avengers,” said Shaun Escayg, Creative Director and Writer at Crystal Dynamics. “Telling our story of Kamala’s coming-of-age brings a fresh, hopeful perspective to the gameplay experience and her unique abilities as Ms. Marvel make her a character every person can relate to and will want to play. Kamala Khan is one of the unique characters that makes our game stand apart from any Avengers story experienced before.”

“Kamala is an inspired and perfectly fitting choice to join the ranks of, and reassemble, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” said Bill Rosemann, VP of Creative at Marvel Games. “Perhaps more than any other character invented over the past decade, Ms. Marvel has not only charmed the hearts of longtime True Believers, but her unique mix of classic Marvel heroic elements and modern cultural relevancy has resulted in a headline-generating cultural icon.”

“It is a thrill to see Kamala in the Marvel’s Avengers game,” said Sana Amanat, VP of Content and Character Development at Marvel. “Crystal Dynamics has done a marvelous job of crafting a brand-new take on Kamala, while staying true to the spirit of her inspiring character, charismatic persona, and relatable purpose. Fans of the character are in for quite a ride, along with a few surprises, when Marvel’s Avengers makes its debut next year.”

"I think Kamala is a perfect fit for a game like this, since she sees the Marvel world the same way we do as fans and players," said G. Willow Wilson, co-creator of Ms. Marvel. "Kamala allows us to imagine what we ourselves would do if we suddenly discovered we had superpowers and got to stand alongside our heroes in their time of greatest need."

Marvel’s Avengers will release simultaneously for the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, Stadia, and PC on May 15, 2020.
Gross SJW pandering. Of all the Avengers they could have picked as their first DLC they really pick Kamala Khan? What about... oh... fucking HAWKEYE!
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

She's not a DLC character; she's the first character you'll play as. She's the character that initially helps bring the Avengers back together after they disbanded.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

Gross SJW pandering. Of all the Avengers they could have picked as their first DLC they really pick Kamala Khan? What about... oh... fucking HAWKEYE!
Oh come on everyone are now snow flakes left winger safe spacers and right wings omg I don't like anything that might not be 100% inline with my politic and there for WRONG and bad. Being a centrist just makes me shake my head most of the time
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Why do they say fan favorite? What does that mean? What fans are they talking about? I've never heard of anyone saying that she's their favorite? lol, what a joke, this character sucks.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The verbiage here, pushing Khan as a “fan favorite” and everyone tripping over themselves to say how awesome it is she will be at the heart of the story feels very false to me. Like when actors effusively slather praise on their costars or directors at the movie premiere press blitz only to have it come out a few years later everyone hated everyone.

It feels like they are trying to convince themselves as much as us that this is the right move.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

lulz. Just...lulz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Her current comic only sells about 20,000 comics a month and is #105 on the list of top selling comics.

In the 80's, if a comic book dropped below 75,000 copies a month, they canceled it outright.

Really, about the only comic book that sells a decent number month-in and month-out is Batman. Most of what makes up the Top 20 or 30 comics is all one-shots and summer specials.

The hobby is dying and I think a lot of it has to do with bad art, bad stories and characters like Ms Marvel that the company wants to push, but that fans don't care about.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
The hobby is dying and I think a lot of it has to do with bad art, bad stories and characters like Ms Marvel that the company wants to push, but that fans don't care about.
Boom. Nailed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Boom. Nailed it.
Another huge problem I see right now is CGC. I'm in a couple of huge comic book selling groups on Facebook and the only thing anyone cares about is CGCing the older "key" books (to flip) and CGCing the newer limited number variant covers (also to flip).

These people don't give a rats behind for the art, the stories or the characters. They only buy what they think they can send out to CGC to turn around and sell for more money on eBay.

Rampant speculation in variant covers is one of the things that caused the huge market crash in the 90's where like 80% of all comic stores went out of business.

When you see monthly sales charts and staple characters like Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Avengers, Hulk, etc are all selling even less than stinkers like Ms Marvel there is something really wrong with the market.

Marvel and DC should want people buying the books on a monthly basis just because the art is great and the story is great, not because of some 1 in 250 cover with Venom on it.

I've heard rumors over the years that Disney is considering closing down the print end of Marvel. With sales numbers as low as I've been seeing and nothing going on in the comics that would bring in new collectors, it's a pretty believable rumor.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

It sucks yo see the industry dying like this. Going to the comic shop was one of my favorite things as a kid but my sons have zero interest. Every once in a while I still go to one of my old shops but there’s not much worth buying these days. I don’t even want to look at any mainstream books that will likely have some political message. So if I pick up anything at all, it’s usually done one off Conan story as long as the art is decent.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Evil you like Hawkeye? I thought he was kinda silly as an avenger tbh.

But then again I've never heard of Kamala Khan. I am guessing she is Dhalsim's daughter due to her powers

To be fair though, I wasn't really into comics so I don't really have a leg to stand on commenting about this.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

WTF? I think I am cancelling my pre-order. This game is now tainted by SJW BS. Sad. Reminds me too much of Kamala Harris.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Also what the hell is Ms. Marvel? I thought that was Captain Marvel, but apparently not?! Can't they get creative with the names??
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's dying because comics have become a progressive social justice platform of spewing ideology and not much else. No one wants that shit in their entertainment and progressive communist just don't get it.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #16
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
WTF? I think I am cancelling my pre-order. This game is now tainted by SJW BS. Sad. Reminds me too much of Kamala Harris.
And you think liberals are snowflakes.. lol
Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Evil you like Hawkeye? I thought he was kinda silly as an avenger tbh.
I never much cared for Hawkeye in the comic books, but I think he would be a blast to play in a video game. A much better choice than what boils down to the female version of Mr. Fantastic.

How is she any different from The Hulk or Captain America in a game? One brawler pretty much will play the same as any other brawler really. At least the Hulk has some signature moves and Cap has his shield. Ms Marvel has... big fists?

It's just a dumb design choice fueled by social justice thinking and not by good game development.

Of course, the craptastic art should kinda tell us that this title is struggling. A shame, I figured that a Marvel game from the same people who did Tomb Raider would be kind of a slam dunk.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #18
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
And you think liberals are snowflakes.. lol
Yup everyone a snowflake OH NO I'M OFFENDED now let me take my ball home so no one can play. I'm a centrist so most of the time I just sitting there going people are so thin skinned and bleed so easy.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #19
Chief Smash
Subscriber

You people need to understand the difference between snowflake (I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't exist) and rational adult (I don't like it, therefore I'm just not going to spend my money on it.) It's funny how some of you think that people are somehow obligated to spend cash on stuff they don't like.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
You people need to understand the difference between snowflake (I don't like it, therefore it shouldn't exist) and rational adult (I don't like it, therefore I'm just not going to spend my money on it.) It's funny how some of you think that people are somehow obligated to spend cash on stuff they don't like.
No snowflake is someone who can't take another person view point without immediately going defensive or negative as knee jerk reaction. I see it on both other side all the time. Other peoples shit stinks but mine doesn't mentality on both sides

Tags
marvel's avengers