Last post by HillTribe
Yesterday 06:07 PM
2 Replies, 250 Views

Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

PlayStation 5 Launching Holiday 2020 with new Controller

Quote:
Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.
PlayStation Blog.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Azrael
Evil Dead

I've been on the fence about picking up a PS4 for a while now - couple games i just have to play

- RDR2 (thankfully now coming to PC)
- New GOW
- Spiderman Game
Most importantly FF7 remake.

If FF7 remake dosnt make it to the PS5 i'll still get the PS4 at some point
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Please have a screen on it. Please have a screen on it.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

OMG, such surprise! Who knew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Please have a screen on it. Please have a screen on it.
WTF for? Unless they are doing a Nintendo Switch screen is just another point of failure, a gimmick, and a huge amount of extra cost.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Mozgus
Evil Dead

The controller will be revealed to be some unholy fucking retarded shape like that batterang sony controller was, probably have a few bizarre tech gimmicks attached to it, and then people will get in a hissy fit over it, and sony will backpeddle like the blazes to just give us another controller that feels exactly the same as the PS1 dual shock does.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Expect a low cost PS4 Pro console in 2020. Something in the $249.99 range that they can sell for the next couple years during the transition.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I will be buying a couple of these to replace my PS4s since they indicated they'll be backwards compatible with PS4 (i'm still hoping for PS1-PS3). What I'm curious about is the rumor that there will be two models right off the bat. A regular one that is more in the price range of average consumer's wallets and a "pro" version that is more expensive. Launching both at the same time would be weird, would that mean a bigger hard drive and more RAM? PS5s are supposed to have 2 hard drives, so maybe the pro would have a bigger/faster SSD and bigger/faster standard hard drive? Maybe the "pro" would have more USB ports or the VR box built in that the current PSVR has external. I dunno, just speculating. I don't care what it looks like, as long as its not super freak'n loud.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

WTF for? Unless they are doing a Nintendo Switch screen is just another point of failure, a gimmick, and a huge amount of extra cost.
Oh you know, so all the games can be portable. Very nice feature.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Haptic feedback huh? Bout time Sony caught up to the Switch.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Oh you know, so all the games can be portable. Very nice feature.
You didn't comprehend. Read the whole post twice before deleting yours since I covered that ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
What I'm curious about is the rumor that there will be two models right off the bat. A regular one that is more in the price range of average consumer's wallets and a "pro" version that is more expensive. Launching both at the same time would be weird, would that mean a bigger hard drive and more RAM? PS5s are supposed to have 2 hard drives, so maybe the pro would have a bigger/faster SSD and bigger/faster standard hard drive? Maybe the "pro" would have more USB ports or the VR box built in that the current PSVR has external. I dunno, just speculating. I don't care what it looks like, as long as its not super freak'n loud.
Depending on the price delta if all a "pro" has is a performance boost over the base model it would take a lot to sell me on a "pro" at launch knowing mid-cycle they'll release something twice as powerful.

Sony will make sure all games are compatible with the base model even if "super feature X" or whatever was a pro feature.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #11
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Oh. read the whole thing. Now I'm deleting my post. I'm thoroughly triggered and outraged, and quitting this site for good.

"Good riddance to bad rubbish I say!"

Me too.

Later nerds!
Old 10-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Oh. read the whole thing. Now I'm deleting my post. I'm thoroughly triggered and outraged, and quitting this site for good.

"Good riddance to bad rubbish I say!"

Me too.

Later nerds!
Such biting wit and sarcasm! Whatevs. If you had just read the bit about the Switch you wouldn't have looked like an idiot. But why change? Looking like an idiot is what makes you YOU and such a vital part of the Evil Avatar community! Your intellect will be greatly missed.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #13
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Such biting wit and sarcasm! Whatevs. If you had just read the bit about the Switch you wouldn't have looked like an idiot. But why change? Looking like an idiot is what makes you YOU and such a vital part of the Evil Avatar community! Your intellect will be greatly missed.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

I mean, how much does a low res screen and a cheap receiver/transmitter cost at this point?

And why is cost always some super important fucking thing when video games are at an all time level of same ol same ol generic crap?

Beep, make game, boop, same as other game. Ive played a few games over the years so i could be jaded, but surly your average 16 year old can get on YT and see that F.E.A.R. looks like a game from 2019 minus a few animations and is all like, bru, why do games look so shitty now? I aint paying $60 for this shit. The hardcore players will always buy no matter what, but they are losers with no life and cannot support the games market alone. Right? Right?

The WiiU was a great idea, it just needs to be standardized and maybe simplified. A small screen on the PS5 contoller displaying helpful but not critical at all time information could really ad to a games engagement.

Bottom line, im doing my part to meme this shit into coming back, but i really do believe its a better way to game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Expect a low cost PS4 Pro console in 2020. Something in the $249.99 range that they can sell for the next couple years during the transition.
Your right, i feel the PS4 still has alot of leg left. But boy do miss buying new consoles for $99 while i complain about overly cheap implementations of them lol.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Prediction: The PS5 will have an innovative controller because Sony has been kicking Microsoft's ass on controllers for a long time. Xbox Scarlett will be way more powerful but will have the same dumb as a brick controller that still accepts AA batteries.

No big deal for me I'm buying both. Only exclusives will really take advantage of the new controller features anyway.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:09 AM   #16
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

I am always late to the next gen console party. I put a 2 TB SSD into my pro for super quick load times, and a backlog of 40-50 games. The ps5 has very limited appeal when the ps4 library is so massive and cheap thanks to HEN exploits.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Prediction: The PS5 will have an innovative controller because Sony has been kicking Microsoft's ass on controllers for a long time.
Are you high? The Xbox controller has been the gold standard since they ditched the Duke and went to the "S" form factor.

The "innovations" beyond the PS controllers being rechargeable out of the box have been mostly worthless. The Touch Pad? What a gimmick! More buttons would have been far better. The lights? Also a gimmick. Better battery life ftw.

Quote:
Xbox Scarlett will be way more powerful but will have the same dumb as a brick controller that still accepts AA batteries.
Yes, this is really annoying. All the little things MS does to monetize the controllers is shit.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Are you high? The Xbox controller has been the gold standard since they ditched the Duke and went to the "S" form factor.
Preach on brother Vallor!!!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
Haptic feedback huh? Bout time Sony caught up to the Switch.
LOL such a ridiculous statement, how's those joycons that have such a habit of breaking, even on the new light model considered something that needs to be "caught up to?" Never mind that it's an underpowered piece of shit to begin with. Nintendo Zealots and their alternate realities it's hilarious.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation 5