Digital Foundry - Intel...
Last post by LostToys
Yesterday 06:45 PM
15 Replies, 1,089 Views

Old 05-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Rage 2 Officially Becomes worst video game Ad since Daikatana #Rage2

This is a parody video, right? Right? Anyone? Bueller?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
Booda
Beam another Blast

Lol! Looks like CliffyB spilt some Radical on the Rage.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
NightRain
Evil Dead

Just seems like a bunch of crazies, which is fitting for the Rage universe.... I'm not really seeing a major issue with the ad. I've seen a lot worse.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
Just seems like a bunch of crazies, which is fitting for the Rage universe.... I'm not really seeing a major issue with the ad. I've seen a lot worse.
Please share a worse game ad. I'm having to go back to early 90s Sega's "Nintendont" ads to find something equally as cringe worthy.

I am intrigued. Rage 2 is being developed by the same team at Avalanche who did the surprisingly good Mad Max game. Any other studio, especially that awful rumor about Rebellion, and I'd immediately write it off as shit.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Exodus
Evil Dead

How is this game getting a sequel?

If anything rage proved id forgot how to make a video game. The company that boosted fps into the stratosphere forgot how to make proper controls for a fps. Yeesh. Well, hopefully they don't fuck this up.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
How is this game getting a sequel?

If anything rage proved id forgot how to make a video game. The company that boosted fps into the stratosphere forgot how to make proper controls for a fps. Yeesh. Well, hopefully they don't fuck this up.
id software isn't involved. Avalanche wanted to do a sequel to their great Mad Max game but Warner turned them down. Also the ongoing lawsuits between George Miller and Warner Bros has put anything Mad Max on ice. Bethesda was sitting on a similar dead license and likely signed them on to develop. They are the best studio for the job, in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
killer_X
Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
I agree, it's not the content of the ad, itīs the music that is all wrong, reminds me off "Smash Mouth"

It should have been like doom 2016 soundtrack Death metal
killer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_X View Post
I agree, it's not the content of the ad, itīs the music that is all wrong, reminds me off "Smash Mouth"

To be fair/honest I watched it without sound.... so that might make it much worse.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
If anything rage proved id forgot how to make a video game.
Yeah, id forgot how to make video games...only to turn around and release DOOM 2016, which was one of the most well-received FPS games in recent years.

Quote:

It's the overall style of Mad Max coupled with the color pallet and overall attitude of Borderlands. I didn't find it to be overly egregious.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 05-14-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Please share a worse game ad.
Well, how about the "Prepare Your Face" one?

Oh, you meant an ad from a company with an actual marketing budget, like Bethesda? Yeah, that'd be a lot more difficult.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #11
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, id forgot how to make a video games...only to turn around and release DOOM 2016, which was one of the most well-received FPS games in recent years.
this.

I didn't dislike the ad. Also, the gameplay on Rage wasn't bad. It just felt unfinished. The story ends abruptly on what on a normal game would have been the middle point. It was lacking a bit of side content as well. Some say it was because of space limitations on the 360, might have been so.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Oh, you meant an ad from a company with an actual marketing budget, like Bethesda? Yeah, that'd be a lot more difficult.
What is really sad is that you know that they spent thousands and thousands of dollars for someone to put together this piece of trash, and even more money to license out the music.

All that when they could have gotten some positive PR from a simple 30 second gameplay trailer instead you have a game most people whet from "Why did they bother?" to "They didn't even try."
Old 05-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Yeah, id forgot how to make a video games...only to turn around and release DOOM 2016, which was one of the most well-received FPS games in recent years.

It's the overall style of Mad Max coupled with the color pallet and overall attitude of Borderlands. I didn't find it to be overly egregious.
That's Not Mad Max. That's what you get when you ask a bunch of millennials who shop at Hot Topic to come up with an ad for a game with an apocalyptic setting.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Actually I THINK that song is Andrew WK. It SOUNDS like "We Want Fun". If so... I love Andrew WK. But yeah... weird choice for this ad about shirtless fat guys and colored smoke.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh sorry, it took them 6yrs to revert to old game play from the 80's 90's and throw in a insta kill hotkey.

Well received not by me but it wasn't nearly as shit as rage. Hell I think I remember reading about rage when EGM still put out a magazine.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Gameplay reveal coming out tomorrow. Supposedly Avalanche is doing a very long Rage 2 segment during Bethesda's E3 panel.

If you took their Mad Max game and gave it really good first person combat it would be what everyone expected Rage to be. Fire whoever is behind the marketing.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
timmyd
Evil Dead

I think PR departments have learned to set standards really low and then when the product is released the reviews are "surprised" and "better than I thought". And the negative hubbub makes sure everyone remembers it. So it's probably shaping up to be a good game. I just recently re-played RAGE anyway. I'll echo the sentiments that it was good up until it suddenly ended.

Contrast that with "OMG did you see the trailer?!?!" Followed upon release by "the trailer was more exciting" "the trailer showed all the good parts"
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
That's Not Mad Max. That's what you get when you ask a bunch of millennials who shop at Hot Topic to come up with an ad for a game with an apocalyptic setting.
They took the costume design straight out of Mad Max, specifically Road Warrior. The video was loaded with costumes that looked like this...

or this...

or this...

The video was way too bright and colorful to be Mad Max (hence the additional comparisons to Borderlands), but those costumes were ripped right out of Road Warrior or Thunderdome.

Quote:
Oh sorry, it took them 6yrs to revert to old game play from the 80's 90's and throw in a insta kill hotkey.

Well received not by me but it wasn't nearly as shit as rage. Hell I think I remember reading about rage when EGM still put out a magazine.
Certainly can't please everyone. Most folks loved DOOM, but there will obviously be those who didn't find it to be their cup of tea.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:

Certainly can't please everyone. Most folks loved DOOM, but there will obviously be those who didn't find it to be their cup of tea.
Totally. I think you are spot on and it needs to be said more. Not everyone needs to live everything. Unfortunately, in the world of aaa, developers have to try to capture everyone to justify the swelling budgets.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
They took the costume design straight out of Mad Max, specifically Road Warrior. The video was loaded with costumes that looked like this...
That looked a helluva lot more like this to me.

Burning Man: The Game

Tags
rage 2