George R.R. Martin's...
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 05:40 PM
12 Replies, 1,049 Views

Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Build and Inspire with Nintendo Labo

I guess I’m getting old, but when I want to play video games I want to do exactly that, play video games. I’m not, however, looking forward to breaking down old U-Haul boxes to make different things to essentially play a video game. Nevertheless, hats off to Nintendo for trying to get the kiddos involved to be creative, but this old man just wants to play Zelda while drinking a beer, unless I can make a card board beer holder.

Per the press release:

Quote:
REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 17, 2018 – Introducing Nintendo Labo, a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences designed to inspire kids and those who are kids-at-heart. Building on the 129-year history of Nintendo, which is rooted in innovative entertainment and game-play experiences, Nintendo Labo continues the company’s mission of putting smiles on people’s faces.

Together with the Nintendo Switch system (sold separately), the Nintendo Labo kits provide the tools and technology to MAKE fun DIY creations, PLAY games with your creations and DISCOVER how the magic of Nintendo Switch technology shapes ideas into reality.

With each Nintendo Labo kit, kids can transform modular sheets of cardboard – specially designed to interact with the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers – into creations called Toy-Con. From a piano to a motorbike, a robot and more, each Toy-Con comes to life when combined with Nintendo Switch in different ways. As you build, you will have fun discovering how the technology works, and might even invent new ways to play with each Toy-Con!

For example, you can build a functioning 13-key piano that brings your musical creations to life once the Nintendo Switch console and Right Joy-Con controller are inserted. As you play, the IR Motion Camera in the Right Joy-Con detects which keys are pressed and translates them into unique notes that are heard through the console. You can even take control of your very own motorbike by constructing a functioning set of handlebars, with a Joy-Con inserted in each side and the Nintendo Switch console cradled in the middle. Simply hit the ignition button, turn the right handle to engage the accelerator and watch your adventure unfold on the Nintendo Switch screen, as you race to new destinations.
Click Headline for trailer ...

For more information: https://labo.nintendo.com/
Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Trailer ...

Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Paranoia
Evil Dead

The ad reminds me of that early Wii promos where a bunch of people did various motion with the Wiimote to showcase potential gameplay.

So no thanks.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

This will probably print some money. Will check to make sure the temporary money printers are ready to blaze it on 4/20.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
The ad reminds me of that early Wii promos where a bunch of people did various motion with the Wiimote to showcase potential gameplay.

So no thanks.
Bro this is for kids.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
This will probably print some money. Will check to make sure the temporary money printers are ready to blaze it on 4/20.
So does Nintendo cut you a check for shilling for them? Or does Reggie just fuck you in the ass as payment?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Bravo Nintendo.

The thing a lot of people don't get about the gaming industry is that it's grown not because more people are playing games but because it's changed into something else entirely than what it used to be. To get the widest numbers possible, gaming has turned into a dumb, passive, opiate of carrot-on-a-stick gameplay. The games that sell the most are often the least intelligent or taxing. That's fine. People like what they like. But there is a big underserved market out there for people who want active play experiences and I think we're going to see a lot more of that in the coming years.

Children, especially, I think are starved for more active play.

There are going to be people who are attracted to the new Uncharted because Drake has new beard stubble technology, or the story is about how he has prostate cancer now, or something, but that's not going to convert non-gamers, and it's not going to raise a next generation of gamers.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
Meeks
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
The games that sell the most are often the least intelligent or taxing. That's fine. People like what they like.
The same goes for music and movies. Maybe books too? Not sure (my buddy's wife makes a killing writing "paranormal romance" novels).

Point is, nothing new here.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
The same goes for music and movies. Maybe books too? Not sure (my buddy's wife makes a killing writing "paranormal romance" novels).

Oh absolutely. It’s the same in all media. I think the only difference when it comes to games is that somehow “gamers” have convinced themselves that the mass market candy they like to consume is actually the stuff of the strongest substance.

“I’m too sophisticated to play a game that’s not 60fps and 4K” is like saying “I’m too sophisticated to listen to music that’s not coming from a woman who’s 23 and 115 pounds.” That’s fine if it’s your preference, but it has nothing to do with sophistication.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 AM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead

this is a novelty that will wear out fast
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 AM   #11
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

I think that my niece and nephew would dig this stuff. Looks like kids would have a blast, at least if the games/software are more than glorified demos.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #12
NESter the Unlikely
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
this is a novelty that will wear out fast
Yeah, won't be long before the kids become board of this.
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:01 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

It's creative for kids and makes a weekend of videogames more acceptable to stricter parents due to the arts & crafts angle. It's also fairly cheap, impulse purchase territory for sure. 6 - 14 year old kids are going to eat this shit up and so are their parents as it's an easy time filler.

Bravo to Nintendo for trying something different. Hell if they catch me at the right moment (and assuming the games that come with the package are any good) I may even buy it for myself.

Remember Nintendo have Dark Souls and this coming within a few weeks of each other. They are trying to get everyone onboard and they could well succeed. With another good year in 2018, I think they will overtake xbox in sales and who knows, beating the PS4 could be on the table.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Juan
Evil Dead

I would probably have scoffed at this a few years ago but now I have a young kid, the thought of getting him more into this hobby with something like this fills me with joy.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 AM   #15
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I would probably have scoffed at this a few years ago but now I have a young kid, the thought of getting him more into this hobby with something like this fills me with joy.
Yep. Perfectly aimed at kids and something they can probably make a bundle of money on.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 AM   #16
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post

Remember that 90% of everything is Crap.

see Sturgeon's Law
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #17
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
It's creative for kids and makes a weekend of videogames more acceptable to stricter parents due to the arts & crafts angle. It's also fairly cheap, impulse purchase territory for sure. 6 - 14 year old kids are going to eat this shit up and so are their parents as it's an easy time filler.

Bravo to Nintendo for trying something different. Hell if they catch me at the right moment (and assuming the games that come with the package are any good) I may even buy it for myself.

Remember Nintendo have Dark Souls and this coming within a few weeks of each other. They are trying to get everyone onboard and they could well succeed. With another good year in 2018, I think they will overtake xbox in sales and who knows, beating the PS4 could be on the table.
That's what I was thinking. Definitely not for me, but my boy loves playing legos, so maybe he will give this a shot. Dark Souls on Switch? I may have to pick that up. Loved Bloodborne, still stuck on DSIII, lol.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

This is actually a smart move, I think.

Things like Maker Magazine and the hobbyist lifestyle are really taking off, and this is perfect for kids, and the adults will definitely be sold on grabbing it for their kids.

I don't know anyone who doesn't make their own thing at home anymore. Whether it's craft beer, hot sauce, electronics, games, board games, (I myself am a board game hobbyist and make assets and inserts for my games) 3D printed stuff, etc.

I think this will be a really appealing buy for parents, for their kids, and I think the parents would have fun helping their kids assemble this stuff and use it.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

While this isn't something I'm going to buy, I'm glad to see it. Nintendo is continuing their trend of doing whatever the hell they want, which is usually a good thing.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #20
brandonjclark
Subscriber

The great toymaker continues.... wow, blown away.

This is TOTALLY going to make money. How can I not? It's some small intellectual property and cardboard, sold as a profit.

Those smart bastards!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, craft, games, inspire, labo, learn, nintendo, switch, video